No heart attack but i'm off kebabs! - What put u off a food?

Options
Feel a bit daft admitting this but on Friday night I did indeed think I was going to have a heart attack. Massive stabbing chest pain. Which infact turned out to be heart burn/indigestion. :blushing: This was much to my teenage daughter's horror. Mocking via teenagers is so harsh.

However, the upshot/downside? It does now appear that the thought of even being near a kebab makes me feel ill. Cue tonight at work & when a service user ordered take away. I couldn't move away fast enough.

Have you ever had an experience thats put you right off a food?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Vanilla bean ice cream. We made it repeatedly when I was at culinary school and suffering from terrible anxiety, even the smell of it makes me anxious.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    If I feel nauseous after eating something, for whatever reason, it can put me off it. For instance, I once went orange juice and muesli for years because I had a migraine with nausea straight after eating breakfast one morning. I eventually was able to eat muesli again and then was prescribed a drug which made me nauseous and which I used to take in the morning, with muesli. Another few years of not being able to eat muesli! It doesn't seem to matter whether the food had anything to do with the nausea. In fact, on the occasions where I've had food poisoning it hasn't actually put me off the food that poisoned me because there was a gap between eating it and feeling ill!

I think it's probably a natural defence to go off food that you've felt ill directly after. It's just a shame that sometimes the food had nothing to do with the feeling ill!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No, but I seriously wish it was that easy for me! I'd eat all my trigger foods 'til they make me ill, then they wouldn't taunt me so! - LOL However, I have found that my body responds that way to alcohol. Anything I ever drank too much of in college and then heaved still makes me gag today 20 years later.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I ate some spoiled yogurt not that long ago. I didn't have yogurt again after that for like 3 whole days!
  • imakeyoukneel
    imakeyoukneel Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Mom gave me rotten meat on accident when i was a kid never went near it again
  • imakeyoukneel
    imakeyoukneel Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    To be fair she cant smell and it WAS still in date
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The huge calorie count has cured me completely of chocolate. LOL

You weren't silly to have been worried. My b/f had a minor heart attack recently - despite being the fittest he's been in adult life and only 37!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    No, but I seriously wish it was that easy for me! I'd eat all my trigger foods 'til they make me ill, then they wouldn't taunt me so! - LOL However, I have found that my body responds that way to alcohol. Anything I ever drank too much of in college and then heaved still makes me gag today 20 years later.

Well I sure do not have that problem BUT have no drank for years for other reactions to it.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    whipped cream.

I once spent the day in busch gardens (Tampa, in the summer) and was either *just* really tired and thirsty from all that sun or actually dehydrated. we stopped at a mall and i got a coffee slush drink, the barista asked ifi wanted whipped cream, i said sure (even though i rarely had whipped cream). about 3 minutes after i drank i (sorry for the TMI) was really sick. i didn't even make it to the restrooms, i just was sick in a garbage can right there in the middle of the mall. I figured the whipped cream must have been off and it must have taken me 10 years to ever dare to eat anything with whipped cream again. (I still very very rarely eat it, but if it's a birthday cake or something i will taste)
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had part of a strawberry Cisco while partying in college for Cinco de Mayo. That is seriously the nastiest alcohol in the world. No one in their right mind is going to buy or drink it on their own unless you're already at the club or in a party situation and someone presses it into your hand. My poison that night was homemade margaritas (still 100% okay with), screwdrivers (stll no problem), and some strawberry flavored Cisco <-- ewww.

I still, to this day, cannot stand any food or drink that is strawberry 'flavored'. It must be fresh strawberries or I shudder with nausea.

I cannot say enough bad things about Cisco. Every word written about it in Urban Dictionary is True!

Viral pneumonia was easier for me to recover from than the hangover from Cisco.

I had the strawberry 'experience' and my sister had the peach, and now we hate those fake flavors forever and ever and ever.
  • slw87
    slw87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This one is disgusting but.... I'd gone to the pantomime with work and we had sweets etc and I'd been eating some Bombay mix. Anyway there was also a sickness bug going around work too and I was sick when I got home and It tasted like the Bombay mix haha. Never ate it since!!
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    Banana and Chocolate flavoured Chuppacup lollies... My mum gave me one when I was little cause I wasn't feeling too well and she thought it would cheer me up. It didn't... it made me throw up. Since then, even the thought makes me wanna gag. x
  • bestjuneever
    bestjuneever Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I had McDonalds one night for dinner and when I had woken up I could not get out of bed. I felt so tired and it was impossible. I didn't want to jump to conclusions but a little while after we had it again and the same thing happened. It was the strangest and scariest thing. So now I don't liked it at all. I don't like any fast food now.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    KFC !! The last one I had was so fatty & I got mega tummy ache after it !!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Hives put me off chocolate and eggs. A serious anaphylactic reaction put me off shellfish. Celiac disease put me off gluten..

The only one I really worry about is the shellfish, as now I have the same reaction to iodine, which could be a problem in some medical situations. I even crave eggs occasionally, and will go ahead and eat one, but it will be a while before I do it again as the last eggs I ate, my arms and chest were "hive-y" for days afterward. They only really itched the first day, but I looked awful.
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm put off by most junk food (like McDonalds, KFC, etc.) just because it does not play well with my bowels, haha. Yeah, I know, gross... but I avoid them because I immediately think "Oh god, I'm going to take the bus home and probably have to **** myself along the ride because of that food". So I pick something else. I mean, obviously it's also because it's extremely unhealthy, but the thought of something just being either too greasy (or in other cases, cheesy does this to me), makes me avoid that food completely. It's for the best, lol.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Almost 40 years ago, I had one grand mal seizure for no particular reason. This is a suprisingly common thing to occur, most often in one's 20s. Totally unrelated, I had just had a liverwurst sandwich. I am still, to this day, frightened by the very sight of liverwurst!