Any suggestions about how to lose weight without the gym?

Options

Replies

• Dipayan123
    Options
    It's easy to lose weight without exercise, but maintaining the weight loss is a whole different story!

If you have medical reasons why you cannot exercise and you're doctor-ordered not to exercise, then don't read what I'm about to say...

Exercise improves your cardiovascular system, reduces body aches and pains that sedentary people experience, gives you feel good buzzies and improves your self esteem and confidence, exercise tones you up so you're not left with flabby extra skin from your weight loss, lifting weights builds muscle that speeds up your metabolism and increases your likelihood that you will keep the weight off, exercise keeps you young, keeps you active, enables you to carry in ridiculous amounts of bags from the car when you go food shopping, makes you able to stay active with your kids, reduces your risk for stroke, heart disease, coronary artery disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a whole bunch of other diseases I'm not thinking of right now..

So, barring any disability or medical reason why you cannot exercise (although I have a friend in a wheelchair who has completed SEVERAL rounds of P90X, I have a friend with cancer who still runs, etc) my question is, why wouldn't you?

Your point is well taken.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Its mainly because i am lazy :p
    Though i will try to change that in the coming months.
    No medical reasons whatsoever for not exercising.

have you considered liposuction, i believe they do home visits, they go to work while you are battering the doughnuts, if you leave your front door open you don't even need to vacate the couch

winner winner chicken with extra mayo dinner
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Walk walk walk walk. Was my primary exercise for a long time. Into toning now. :)
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight without setting foot in a gym. Diet is 80% of weightloss and track your food... TRACK every bite! For exercise I walked everyday at least 25-30 minutes more if possible (...and still do), took the stairs at every opportunity, parked further away at stores and became an active person. I mow the yard every week I can in the spring summer and fall, I clean house like a fiend, I hand wash my car every week no matter if its going to rain the next day etc. Live like the person you want to be..... active and healthy. I did buy free weights and a stationary weight bench to be able to tone. Best wishes to you on your journey!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    For strength training exercise their is Body Weight Training: You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. You can Google it to find out more.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

have you considered liposuction, i believe they do home visits, they go to work while you are battering the doughnuts, if you leave your front door open you don't even need to vacate the couch

winner winner chicken with extra mayo dinner

Do you always get rude and sarcastic when people are honest ?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Impossible. You must hire a $50 an hour trainer, participate in group classes, and eat diet food.

Or not.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Walk walk walk walk. Was my primary exercise for a long time. Into toning now. :)

Walking is not the best exercise in fairness
  • Dipayan123
    Options
    I lost all of my weight without setting foot in a gym. Diet is 80% of weightloss and track your food... TRACK every bite! For exercise I walked everyday at least 25-30 minutes more if possible (...and still do), took the stairs at every opportunity, parked further away at stores and became an active person. I mow the yard every week I can in the spring summer and fall, I clean house like a fiend, I hand wash my car every week no matter if its going to rain the next day etc. Live like the person you want to be..... active and healthy. I did buy free weights and a stationary weight bench to be able to tone. Best wishes to you on your journey!

Thanks a lot for sharing. Very inspiring and motivating . Highly appreciated.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

But for someone who never exercises it's an excellent start.......
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Interesting. Eating less and walking seem to keep much of the world's urban populations at a healthy weight.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible to lose weight without the gym. It is possible to lose weight if you are bedridden. Exercise helps with burning extra calories and also physical fitness and improving overall health. Losing weight is 100 percent dependent on eating less calories than your body needs.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, something aerobic to burn calories and work out your heart (bike ride, walk, run, jump rope whatever) and strength training (weights if you got 'em, otherwise push-ups, pull-ups (try a public park monkeybars just when kids aren't around), squats, lunges etc))
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    35 pounds down and no gym. Fitnessblender.com has tons of exercise options for free with warm ups, cool down, HIIT, Tabata style intervals, low impact aerobics, weights, body weight toning and even pilates.

I also walk outside, ride my bike and there's a ton of exercise videos on youtube.

I do exercise for fitness.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Of course it is possible to lose weight without doing any type of exercise but unfortunately it is also very possible to lose weight to your goal weight and still be completely out of shape.

As for me, being disabled, walking is the only exercise I am able to do (according to my doctors, physical therapy and reality) and that is super limited so I walk and walk a lot pushing way beyond those limits because I have no intention of being an out of shape slob at my t goal weight. I have not lost any of my muscle as a result of gaining weight so I sure as heck don't want to lose it while losing weight
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You can do everything without a gym. Buy and do video workouts at home. Ride a bike. Walk. Run. Jog. Swim. Do home yoga, pilates or calesthetics. You can buy weights to lift. The key if you dont exercise right now is to just get moving, and put in a little effort.
  • pbluberry
    Options
    Lossing weight = 75% diet and 25% exercise. So yes, it is possible.
  • rackel202
    Options
    Jumping rope works for me :) I just put on some music and work on doing different things each time, for example doing double jumps or cross overs, the time goes really fast.
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you want to get more physically active, I suggest trying to find something you +like+ doing. Then "laziness" is not a problem: much easier to turn out to enjoy yourself than to do something boring because its good for you.

In my case I went along with someone else's trial martial arts lesson; still training 6 years later. But that's e cause I liked the club ethos as well as the sport. Something completely different might be the thing for you.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

Yeah, I used to be lazy. Now 2 artificial hips and an artificial knee later, I'm not. I know that to be able to get out and enjoy life and to be able to do all the things that I love to do, I need to be in shape and as physically fit as I can be at my age with my titanium body parts. I can do more physically now than I could at your age. But I wish I could have done it when I was your age. Don't wait til your my age to look back and have a life full of regrets about what you missed out on just because you were "lazy".

The concept of losing weight though is simple, as others have said. Burn more calories than you consume. Tracking calories here on MFP has helped thousands upon thousands of us do it successfully. From all ages from all corners of the world, this has worked. From people who exercise hours a day to people who never exercise at all. The one thing in common is tracking your calories and learning new ways to eat.

There's no better time to start than today. Trust me. You aren't going to be getting any younger. Because tomorrow will become next week, becomes next month, next year, next decade. Do it now. For you.
This discussion has been closed.