Counting Exercise

Options
I only count the activities I perform in the gym or when I've specifically set out to exercise. I don't count every activity I do that exerts energy.

Example of things not counted:

Hour disco dancing with the toddler
Walking to the mall / walking in the mall
Taking the stairs
Playing with the toddler
House cleaning

My thought process and this is extra. It's my insurance if you will for those calories that I miss. Like that heaping cup, counted as just a cup when it should be more like 1.5 cups.

How do you count exercise activity? Has it helped you (or hindered you) to do it that way?

Replies

• mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    I so agree, I am busy all day as a childcare provider, however I only count my "EXERCISE" activities, such as running, treadmill walking, 30DS, or stuff like that. So far doing it this way helps because that would be a whole lot of calories added up with the need to be used.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I moved furniture the other day and did not go for my walk, I didn't log the furniture moving.

I don't see logging the every day things as a necessity. I think it would be counter-productive because I'd probably think I have that room to spare to eat more, when I shouldn't.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I agree - I don't log anything except 'official' exercise, so to speak.

I don't think there's anything wrong with logging things like walking around the shops, playing with the kids, cleaning the house, etc - they have a benefit - but personally I like to treat those things as 'bonus points' to, as you said, make up for errors in accounting for my calories. I also only log about 75% of what my HRM says when I do exercise for the same reason.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of you have said - I tend to only log the things I view as exercise for its own sake. A lot of the other stuff seems like it could fall under whatever lifestyle you listed for the original caloric determination.

HOWEVER, having said that, there have been days when I didn't want to go to the gym, so walked 5km to the shops I needed to get to, and that I will log. Every so often, even though it kind of feels like cheating, if I am a wee bit over my calories for the day and have done some form of moving in excess of what I consider my 'usual day' I might log it, just to play the numbers game. In my mind it is kind of cheating, but it keeps me from tweaking out too much about the calories.

Is that really not so useful for me? Or are my 'pseudo-cheats' ok?
    I am curious as to what you guys think.

Cheers!
    ^_^
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    Pseudo-cheats are okay in my book as long as they are small and not frequent. How many people actually log their chewing gum? Do you burn more while chewing that you consume?

To me, exercise is over and above "normal" daily lifestyle activities. I log gym time, long walks, skiing, biking, etc. I do not log going to the mail box.
  • hismuse
    hismuse Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The main one I tend to count of my daily activities is if I do the big stairs at work because it raises my heartbeat and I really HATE doing them.
  • smacaulay
    smacaulay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If I do something really strenuous then I count calories. Like a couple of weeks ago I cleaned out the garage - It took me all day but I only counted about 4 hours of it - I must have been doing it for 8 hours... Other than that, I only count the gym.