Fave low cal/ high protein snack or meal?

Options
I've just signed up for MFP and have about 120lbs to lose, I've lost 6lbs, a tiny drop in the pool so far but it's a start!

Wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite snacks or staples that are vegetarian, low cal and high protein? :)

Replies

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome!
    I make a green protein smoothie for the first part of my breakfast, and I reckon it's awesome.
    2 handfuls of spinach, 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange or tangelo juice, half a banana (sometimes I leave this out) and two scoops vanilla "vital protein" powder.
    blend the juice and spinach first, when it's done, add the other stuff and there you go. A glass of bright green deliciousness :)
    L
  • viv0147
    Options
    I've just signed up for MFP and have about 120lbs to lose, I've lost 6lbs, a tiny drop in the pool so far but it's a start!

Wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite snacks or staples that are vegetarian, low cal and high protein? :)
    I am quite new here myself there are many on here with an open diary including myself if you look through a few of them it might give you some idea's good luck.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!

One 6 oz container of Chobani Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt has 100 calories and 18 g of protein - and you can add anything you like in it. I like frozen blueberries or using them it in a chocolate-banana milk shake.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt too - partial to Fage 0% Fruyo Vanilla Greek yogurt.

I like beef or turkey jerky too.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Greek Yoghurt for the win.

But make sure it's the low fat stuff x)
  • afmcello
    afmcello Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love to make a wrap for lunch a flat out for the outside (90 Cal), rice, black beans, diced onion, mix w/ fresh lime juice to taste and then mash a 1/4 avocado with salt, pepper & a squeeze of lime, spread it on one side before you roll up the wrap. I zap it in the microwave and it's very yummy and satisfying! If you feel decadent you could sprinkle a little cheese in there too. Best wishes! You can do it!:wink:
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Greek Yoghurt for the win.

But make sure it's the low fat stuff x)

I think full versus low fat is a matter of preference and macros.

If you like full/partial fat and can hit all your macros while eating it, why would someone not eat it?

I personally like no fat because it allows me to add calories from other foods that I wouldn't get because of the extra calories in the yogurt. When I maintain, I'll probably switch to full or partial fat.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Very true, I personally aim to eat over on the protein and under on the fat, but every person is different =)
  • pellypell
    pellypell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Egg whites have been my goto snack. Use Smart Balance spray when cooking them up. I buy them by the carton.

My first day using the app, lots to learn as I travel down this lifestyle change road.
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    I make a protein smoothie. About 14g protein for 300 ish calories.
    Half a package of silken tofu (175g is about half)
    250ml almond milk unsweetened
    2 cups fruit of choice frozen
    Optional sweetener and vanilla essence (I use maple agave syrup)
    I don't like the taste of my vegan protein powder so tofu is a good tasteless alternative
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am finding almonds are a good crunchy snack and I am not hungry 5 min later or feeling guilty!!
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    to name a few:
    cottage cheese, almonds, lentils, lima beans, egg whites, spinach
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Finding things high in protein and low in calories is going to be a challenge. Proteins are just calorie dense.

My favourites: Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, chocolate protein shakes, peanut buttter, nuts, beans, all the stuff that Morning Star Farms and Gardein make
  • Noam3k
    Options
    30g Casein powder + 100-120 egg whites (2-4 eggs) = high protein pancakes
    serve with 0% fat yoghurt, and if you like it sweet add some "walden's farm pancake syrup"(it has 0 calories) to it.

Uh, and if there are some vegetarian/vegan guys: look out not to use soy products/tofu as it lowers sperm count and possibly lowers testosterone.

/edit
    @Up
    Nuts aren't really low in calories as 1g of fat is 9kcal and nuts aren't really high in protein.
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Jerky Hut beef jerky is really tasty and filling. It is really "meaty" and not filled with junk. (1 ounce 80 - 90 calories)
    1 - Polly-O string cheese - 1 ounce of ham - roll up and put in the frying pan for a ham and cheese (without the carbs) (about 120 calories)
    Quest Protein Bars are YUM, filling, and have good stuff in them (about 190 - 210 calories)
    Cottage cheese also has quite a bit of protein
    Greek yogurt (I put a few squirts of light whipped cream and make it a parfait dessert)
    Lots of recipes can be found on line for using protein powder in snacks - banana bread, zucchini bread, protein balls
    The Perdue Simply Smarts nuggests I think they are called are a quick and decent choice, when in a rush.
  • Seuss1Day
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas, I'm still learning how to use this site and I hadn't realized anyone had responded, what a nice surprise :0) Thanks again!