Fitbit or HRM

Options
I'm trying to decide whether to buy something like a Fitbit or a HRM. I am considering either getting one for myself soon, or asking for one for Christmas since I can never think of anything good to ask for! LOL!

Anyway, which would be better for me? I currently run 3x per week (2-3 miles). I just did my first 5K last night and hope to do a few more over the next year. I'd like to think I might eventually run a half, but I'm not sure since I really try to only workout 30 minutes/day, and to train for a half, I'd have to double that.

I also do strength training twice a week - generally workouts on Skimble Workout Trainer app or Fitness Blender. Usually 15-30 minutes and I use 10lb dumbbells at the moment. I figure I'll increase to 12 or 15lb dumbbells within the next couple months.

I'm at the weight I'd like to be at now, but I'd like to lower my bf% a little more. I honestly don't know what it is, but would guess close to 30%. I'd love to get to about 27-28%.

So, given where I am, what I'm doing, and my goals, would you think it would be more helpful to have a fitbit or a HRM?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    HRM, a Fitbit is really just a fancy pedometer. If you're serious about running, calorie burns, maintaining specific heart rates for your training, etc then a HRM is going to be useful. If all you want to know is a very rough estimate of what you burn on an average day based on how much you walk then a Fitbit is a fun toy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have both (sorry). The HRM is good for exercise monitoring (running, gym, biking etc) but who wants to wear a chest strap all day. The Fitbit is good for measuring daily (in)activity so if you're looking to increase your calorie burn in daily life it's more use than the HRM.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit, which shows daily calorie burn like a fitbit. I find it to be more useful than a HRM because I can see daily calorie burn, not just workout calories. In fact, some of my highest calorie burn days haven't been on days I've worked out--they've been on days when I've hosted a party, and was on my feet from the minute I got up until I crashed in bed. It allows me to tailor my eating to my daily burn.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For you I'd say fitbit, HRMs are not very accurate for weight training anyway.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've got both.

I work out my calories based on a sedentary lifestyle, and all the fitbit calories count extra.

I really only use MFP for entering food. I use HRM/Endomondo for exercise which is mainly cycling and a bit of running (taking my fitbit off), and it all syncs nicely with Fitbit. Yes, its a glorified pedometer, but the website data and layout is fantastic. I couldn't do without it now.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have both. The Fitbit is a fun device that provides feedback for general fitness. It's not necessary, in my view, for a person who is committed to a rigorous exercise program. As most cardio gym equipment now has sensors I often don't put on my HRM strap. As you're a runner, I recommend getting a HRM. It's meant to be used only during cardio.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    For you I'd say fitbit, HRMs are not very accurate for weight training anyway.

HRMs are not intended for use during weight training. They're for cardio.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    I have both (sorry). The HRM is good for exercise monitoring (running, gym, biking etc) but who wants to wear a chest strap all day. The Fitbit is good for measuring daily (in)activity so if you're looking to increase your calorie burn in daily life it's more use than the HRM.

This^ I think they each have their uses. When I got my Fitbit, I HAD been wearing a chest strap all day. The calorie burns were very similar as most of my activity is step related. If I am moving slow, it reflects little calorie burn. If I am really hoofing it, then the Fitbit records that too. Much easier to use for me. Good luck!
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM for 24hours the other day to compare calories burned with what my Fitbit estimates and the Fitbit was only over by 60cals. But the fitbit does really only count steps, so for more detalied records you need to input the exercise manually through MFP or something similar.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I have a HRM I bought it off ebay but if I were to buy a fitbit it would be a "fitbit one" I got a HRM cause the fitbits are to expensive for me
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    just bought a fitbit yesterday, love it so far and the website is pretty good too :)