Really Discouraging

Options
Today after a workout I decided to weigh myself to see where I am at. Well, it turns out that I gained weight rather than losing. Super discouraging. Especially when I have been steering clear of sodas and sticking to water and tea. I'm also cooking meals at home more so I can control what it is that I am eating and choosing the healthier alternatives. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is the type of person who can eat whatever he wants and not gain anything.

Well, that's my rant for the day. Have a great rest of your day

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake was weighing yourself AFTER you work out. When you work out your muscles hold water. We all know what water weight can do. It is best to weigh first thing in the morning after you went to the bathroom.

Just keep working out and making the best food choices and portion sizes. It will happen in time. Dont give up!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i agree with ladyark.

weigh yourself once a week on the same day, in the morning, after bathroom

also - start measuring yourself and taking pics
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Today after a workout I decided to weigh myself to see where I am at. Well, it turns out that I gained weight rather than losing. Super discouraging. Especially when I have been steering clear of sodas and sticking to water and tea. I'm also cooking meals at home more so I can control what it is that I am eating and choosing the healthier alternatives. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is the type of person who can eat whatever he wants and not gain anything.

Well, that's my rant for the day. Have a great rest of your day

the scale is a lying witch! Although we ALL like to see that number going down, you need to not take it to heart if it doesn't. I have literally only lost 3 lbs so far this year, despite busting booty in the gym 4-5x a week since MARCH.

this picture is one that shows this well. The picture on the left was about 2 weeks ago ( on a Monday), the middle picture was taken 3 days before that ( on a friday), and the far right picture was taken in May. The 3 lbs I have lost this year was lost the week before the middle picture was taken.

9630359542_0c54c88926.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

To me, what is more important than the number on that stupid scale are the NSVs ( non scale victories)--hitting a new back squat record, finding the beginnings of abs despite my eating habits, having people at the gym walk up to me and tell me I am busting booty and it shows, the kid working the register at Panera flirting with me, my yoga pants falling down while running.
  • steviex_xo
    Options
    I'm having a really bad problem with weighing myself lately. For the last week or so, I've literally been weighing myself 2-3 times a day, I'm so obsessive about it! I'm going to start using Monday as my weigh in day, so hopefully give me an excuse not to slack off on the weekend :)
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that!

I broke myself out of the habit of weighing myself several times a day. My weight fluctuates throughout the day. Now I weigh myself once a day or once every 2 days, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. Weighing in after a workout is not accurate and definitely super discouraging.

Also, muscle weighs more than fat. Remember that :smile:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OP - dont do that what you did.

Weigh yourself in the morning each day instead.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Muscles get sore and torn during exercise. They ingest water to heal themselves. Ergo, the weight gain you see is not real.

Next time, weigh yourself in the morning, AFTER you do your toilet stuff.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing last night and this morning. I finished my hr workout at 830pm, and weighed. 225. ( two day 217) then I weighed this morning before I went to el bano. 223. , and now I just did a half hr of exercise. This is why I pick ONE day/ month, prefferably a week+ out after Tom visits lol. Because, if not, I hold water weight like crazy. Between 5-8lbs! Sometimes 10.
  • knitgirltiah
    Options
    Anywhere near your cycle? I gain 5 whole stinking pounds once a month but I usually lose my weight after, yay!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    What ^^she^^ said. Our cycles play mean tricks on our bodies.