Gondolas in Venice

Options
So I'm going to Venice next month and as much as I hate to admit it, the gondolas are kind of making me nervous. They just look so tiny and sinkable. I know I would regret not taking a ride though. Any words of encouragement from anyone with first hand experience? Thanks!!

Replies

• Deja_Thoris
    Deja_Thoris Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I was in Venice last year I was at my heaviest - a size 26 - and had no problem whatsoever with getting in/out of the gondola or any stability issues with the boat while I was riding in it. Venice is so lovely; you are in for a treat. There is absolutely nothing to worry about, so just relax and enjoy!
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Too funny you posted this. I'm also going next month (Oct 18) and this is my sister's biggest fear. I've been before and they are easy to get in and out of. You just step in and they have chairs to sit on so you are not all the way down. Very easy fun ride. Another tidbit. Don't take the gondolas on the main canal. Go to the little side streets and take one from there. That way you can go under bridges and near peoples' homes and balconies. It's better than being in the big open water and you may feel safer. Have fun!