Short dieters

Options
Lately I've seen a lot of stuff online claiming that 1200 calorie diets can cause metabolic damage and such and actually end up hindering fat loss goals in the long term. However I'm a short 19yo female (4'11/ 150cm) at 52kg and in order to lose weight some calorie estimators have indicated a diet with this number of calories is ideal? Further compounding my confusion/apprehension to stick to this value is that different calculators indicate different intake values are ideal??? MFP has suggested 1200 whilst others have said 1500-1600 is better?? I have no idea which value to trust more... Any guidance from fellow shorties haha? I'm not terribly active since I'm injured atm but mornings I try to do 30min-1hr strength (bridges, sit ups, dumbells etc) Cardio is limited for me due to my knee. Don't really do much incidental exercise but I try to walk as much as possible when commuting :/ will i experience the whole 'starvation mode' cycle if I stick to this range? I feel like my metabolism is already slow, I don't want to make it worse lol

Replies

• juliadijk
    juliadijk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I learned a lot about metabolic damage and how to properly nourish your body from Layne Norton. He is a scientist and bodybuilder, so he knows a great deal about losing fat, not muscle. Check out his Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqMBA83S0TnfTlTeE5j1mgQ or website: www.biolayne.com
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    First, let me just point out that your BMI is already in the healthy range for your height.

You stand at 150cm (4' 11") and weigh 52kg (114.6 lbs.), which puts your BMI at 23. This is right in the middle of the healthy range.

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR), per the Mifflin St. Jeor calculation, is 1202.

You don't want to eat less than your BMR, because it is not sustainable in the long run. It will leave you feeling famished, and won't provide you with the energy that you need to fuel your workouts.

Yes, TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculations will vary. It is all dependent on your activity level. At your current stats, if you were doing little to no exercise (a sedentary TDEE), then to maintain your weight you would need to eat 1442 calories. If you are exercising then your actual TDEE will be higher than that. Here is a link to a good calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Bottom line, if you want to lose weight (which I, personally, don't think you need to do, but it is your choice), then you want to aim for a caloric intake that is between your BMR and your best estimated TDEE.

However, you should probably keep your deficit pretty low, perhaps only 5% - 10% off of your TDEE at most.

Edited for spelling.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lately I've seen a lot of stuff online claiming that 1200 calorie diets can cause metabolic damage and such and actually end up hindering fat loss goals in the long term.

I recommend not listening to unfounded myths.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm short and ate 1200 calories to lose - much more than that and I didn't seem to lose anything. I can't say I've had any metabolic damage... I gradually upped calories when I started maintenance and eat closer to 1800 now without gaining. Super active days I can eat even more than that. But you may just have to trial and error it to find numbers that work for you.
  • ALittleSwanny
    ALittleSwanny Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, there is no formula that will take into consideration your personal body functionality. Trial and error is the best way! If you are gaining on 1600kcal, lower it, if you're maintaining on 1400kcal, lower it some more. You have to work out what YOUR body wants. It takes time but once you've got it you're sorted!
  • PinkkCamel
    PinkkCamel Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    brynnsmom: wow really!?!? 1800!??! How much exercise are you doing each day!? And also how tall are you haha. Does gradally upping calories without gaining weight happen with everyone when they reach their goal weight? 1200 is soo hard to stick to, I hope I don't have to eat like this forever :l lol

Thanks everyone for your contributions!
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 22 years old. MFP has my goal at 1350 a day, however I'm *attempting* to burn at least 500 cals in the gym daily while I still have the time, so I generally need to eat about 1800 cals daily. This is only day 2 of this attempt at burning 3500 cals a week, but if they Law of Thermodynamics is to be trusted, I don't see why it shouldn't work...

I used to do the 1200cal thing a day and after a week it would feel like I'm starving. Of course, now, there are times where I feel like I'm eating a lot, I'm still burning it off (and have the energy to do so) so I feel like this method is better off in the long run.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Im 4ft 8 and was on 1200 for 2 whole months. I lost about 23lbs and then stalled for 3 weeks.

Upped to 1400 last week and lost 2lbs. Today I started on 1500 and look forward to slowly losing my last 4lbs on the run up to Christmas.

I'm probably one of the shortest people here and 1200 wasn't enough for me to lose. Without my work or exercise 1200 is my maintaining weight, but because I'm so active I can actually have 2000 and maintain purely because of my job.