Need to do something but don't know where to start

Options
Subject says it all!!!! I am roughly about 100lbs over weight. I have not always been this heavy. I used to be have a very small figure but I went through some really tough times and started emotional eating and packed on 100lbs within 12 years. I'm at the point now where my back and knees hurt all the time. My blood pressure is through the roof and it is difficult to get through normal activities during the day without losing my breath. All of this still wasn't enough to make me want to change my bad habits and get up and move... Until Saturday. I was at a football game and seen some members of my graduating class that I was close with back in the day and they didn't even recognize me because of my weight. They kept staring at me like they thought they knew me but wasn't for sure. I was mortified!!!! I need some sound advice on how to start this journey. I have started and stopped so many times and really have no reason for it. I appreciate any advice!

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• crisi13
    Options
    Just start! Today walk some, tomorrow walk some more! If you can join a gym or local Y, DO IT. They have people that can help you set up fitness programs. The Y even offers programs for people that can't afford the fee. Start logging your food and making smarter food choices. It's really that simple. Remeber that you need to "eat to live" not "live to eat".

YOU have to want to change and YOU have to make yourself change. No one can do it for you!!!! The thing that stops you from doing it is what's between your ears. Don't overthink it... You know the right things to do!! You don't need a fancy diet or crazy machines...you need healthy food (all the vegetables you can eat, brown rice, wheat bread, portion size servigns of chicken, fish etc.) and you HAVE to move!!!
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are going through. I think that I gained 75 lbs through emotional eating and not getting the same exercise that I was getting in the beginning. I just started using this program a couple of months ago and I love it! My friend told me that losing weight is mostly from watching your calorie intake. This tool has helped me make better decisions concerning portion sizes and healtier alternatives. I haven't lost a whole lot but I defiitely have seen results. Just start little by little and don't beat yourself up on days that you got a little bit over. Feel free to add me for support =)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Start by tracking EVERYTHING you eat, don't expect to be 'Perfect'--You will eat some bad things occasionally, or more than occasionally at first!!
    Second: Move for at least 10 minutes a day. Even if it is just walking in place during commercial breaks (or Bathroom Breaks!).
    Gradually increase your minutes of exercise as you are able.
    I could have written your Post a year and a half ago, except that I~~like evryone in my Family~~had ALWAYS been Obese. Make small changes in your Diet and Activity Level that you can live with Forever. This cannot be a "Diet", it has to be a Permanent Lifestyle Change, but the small Daily changes will add up quickly.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    WELCOME!!!! If you want ANY information on the "way of life" that I am doing. I will be glad to email you all the documentation that I have. You are Beautiful. You have a WHOLE life ahead of you as long as you get that health under control!!! You can do this. Good Luck. And like Crisi said, you just have to start moving. BUT 80% is food intake in my opinion. You have to be ready to go through with it. My breaking point was when my daughter kept calling me soft, and shaking my belly. Also when NONE of my pants fit and I refused to by anything larger than a 12. Good luck and stay focused. Like I said, we can email if you'd like. I've lost 17lbs in 40 days!!
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, this is the place to start. You will not find an easier way to track your food and exercise. Personally I don't like to exercise at all and the only thing I am doing now is trying to walk 20-30 minutes 3 days a week. Being able to easily track my food and calories is what has helped me tremendously. I have only been on here a little over a month and I have lost almost 14 lbs. but that is with little exercise. I know you can succeed at this and we are here to help and support you. I will ask you to be my friend.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hi

The first step is done: you're here and you asked for help!
    You'll get loads of support on MFP, that's for sure!

Where to start?
    Well, I did it this way:

First week or so, I only logged in my food and drinks, without any pressure, without any goals, other that "getting started".
    I didn't manage to stay within my calorie limit. It was mainly to check what I eat, how much it actually is, and how many calories it is.
    Then I started to cut back on my breakfast, as that was the easiest for me then ( now not true anymore).
    Then, next step was cutting back on dinner.
    Only this last week I started with some exercise, and only then I managed to stay under calorie goal, but not every day, just once or twice...
    I'm loosing weight since week 1. I guess that's mainly because I am aware of what I eat and how many calories that makes.

So, first thing: no pressure! Take it easy, with pressure you might fail!
    Second thing: slow baby steps: don't change everything at once, that might just be too much to handle!
    Third thing: do allow yourself everything you crave, cut back in portions though.

I've read so many times: you didn't get that weight over night, so you won't loose it over night.
    Everything takes time, and every little thing you change, does have an effect, you might need some time to notice it though.

Stick with this site!
    Wish you success!

MM
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Been there sister! Blood pressure was getting out of control and felt like crap all the time. So I started out making changes to my food I gave up meat all togethe best thing I ever did. Then started exercising thought I would die the first time on the ellpitcal only was able to do 15 minutes with no resistance.But it was 15 more minutes than I had done in years. So I was pleased. You made a good choice joining this site it will definately help you track your intake. I would start with walking short distances and challenge your self everyday to do 1 more minute that is what I did. It is 8 months later and I am up to an hour on the ellpitcal and using weight training now. I still have 44 lbs to make it to my first 2nd goal. I set baby steps maybe that will help. Hit me up anytime I love giving encouragement and getting it.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I think you've already started. You are here and have decided to change your life. Congrats! that's the hardest step!
    As for suggestions...track everything that goes in your mouth and all movements you make. Then you will know where you stand.
    Reduced your sodium and carb intake. Up your fiber and water intake. Get some multivitamins in ya. Ask doc if there are and special things you should focus on or avoid.
    The get up. Move. there are so many movements you can make little by little until you are ready for something more intense. Walk. Walk. Walk. Walk in place while watching tv. get up and move. The more you move and the healthier you eat, the better off you will be.
    there are TONS of supportive people here to help you out. The tools are helpful. Roam around the site and check everything out.
    You will get there if you put in the effort!
    Congrats on your first step to a better you!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP!!

I love this site. The people here are so friendly and encouraging. I would suggest to start small and start today!

Try to cut out the high sugar/calorie snacks and replace them with a healthier snack. A couple of examples: low fat string cheese with a few wheat crackers; a piece of fruit; small amount of peanut butter on a rice cake.

If you eat out a lot start by cutting back one day at a time.

Exercise...this is so important to move around!! When I first started I would turn on my radio in my bedroom and walk around inside because I was too embarrassed to walk outside. Shoot for 5 minutes today and work up from there. If you like to dance then dance around the room! Anything to keep moving and get your heart rate up a little.

I can understand what you mean about emotional eating because I have that problem as well. Do whatever you need to do to not eat when you're upset/sad/happy/whatever is causing the desire to eat! It's hard and will take practice but you can do it!

Please keep logging in here and let us know how you're doing!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Start out slow! You dont want to burn yourself out or injury yourself by jumping into it too fast. Start out walking for a little bit each day, & add time onto that walk when you feel like you can. Leslie Sansome makes workout dvd's "Walk a mile, walk two miles, etc". I would see if you can find this program. It is good from beginners & she makes it more fun than just plain walking. Anything to do to get a little extra movement throughout the day can be a big help!! I also heard that if you take a walk right after eating, it helps to boost your metabolism.

Also LOG ALL OF YOUR FOOD EVEN IF YOU HAVE HAD A BAD EATING DAY!!! This helped me tremendously. You have to log to get an idea of really how many calories you are eating. I would start out by logging a regular "non-diet" day of your eating, so you can get an idea of where u are starting off at. I did that my 1st day and was appaled at how many calories I was taking in. That was a good motivation to stop eating so much.

DRINK WATER, WATER & MORE WATER!!!~I use Propel powder packets to flavor my water when I get tired of it plain. You can find it at walmart.

Take it slow, day by day, meal by meal. You'll probably be really hungry at first, but I promise it gets better. Your body gets used to the amount of food you feed it. Also find healthy snacks/meals that you REALLY LIKE for when you do want a snack/meal. They are out there, you just have to find what you like!

Last, relize that this is a huge, long process...Its a marathon, not a sprint. You didnt gain the weight overnight & its not gonna come off overnight!!! I would read the newbie links on the community board as well. They are a big help and teach u the basics! Hope this helps you out. Good Luck!!!

Oh and turn up the music and DANCE!! One of the most fun exercies & burns tons of calories!!!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    you sound like youre ready to make some serious changes to your life. Youre young, and its IMPORTANT THAT YOU CONTROL YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE,

Im not a doctor, but maybe, until you lose the weight, he can put you on high blood pressure meds, until you take off the weight. . Having high blood pressure can damage your heart and put you at risk for stroke

I did it, I lve lost 103 lbs in the last 8 months, and Im middle aged. I did make the choice of logging all my food, and you gotta move your body, even if its just a brisk walk in the neighborhood, YOU GOTTA GET MOVING

You can do it, put me down as your friend , and Ill support you too...........Lots of vegetables, lots of fruits, legumes and chicken breast did it for me...............Again, you can do it, you JUST GOTTA STAY FOCUSED.........Ill be rooting for you too, Lloyd
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    I want to thank everyone who replied on this subject and added me as a friend!! That means more to me than you will know. The advice posted has been great and what has started as a dreadful post has made me excited to try. I guess that is what it is all about. I thought everything had to be all or nothing instead of baby steps. I can definetly do baby steps!!! Thank you all so much!!! So glad to know that you aren't alone when that is exactly how you felt when you started.
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    you sound like youre ready to make some serious changes to your life. Youre young, and its IMPORTANT THAT YOU CONTROL YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE,

Im not a doctor, but maybe, until you lose the weight, he can put you on high blood pressure meds, until you take off the weight. . Having high blood pressure can damage your heart and put you at risk for stroke

I did it, I lve lost 103 lbs in the last 8 months, and Im middle aged. I did make the choice of logging all my food, and you gotta move your body, even if its just a brisk walk in the neighborhood, YOU GOTTA GET MOVING

You can do it, put me down as your friend , and Ill support you too...........Lots of vegetables, lots of fruits, legumes and chicken breast did it for me...............Again, you can do it, you JUST GOTTA STAY FOCUSED.........Ill be rooting for you too, Lloyd

Yeah I am on BP meds at the ripe old age of 35!!!! What scares me the most is that my Mom had a massive stroke when she was 45 which left her paralyzed and eventually took her life. I have to beat this for both myself and my son!!! Thank you so much for your advice!!!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    start with tracking EVERYTHING you eat. measure your food. get a scale if you don't have one.

do some kind of movement every day. if you can't do 30 minutes straight. do 4 10 or 15 minute walks. it WILL work. while you are watching tv, do 3 sets of 10-15 reps of bicep curls and arm exercises. (check fitness magazines online for tips and techniques) you don't have to purchase weights at this time...start out with soup cans. water bottles. soup dish bottles. work up to laundry detergent bottles!

don't try to "eat the entire elephant in one bite" ...start out with the basics. track your eating. move. rest at night for 7-9 hours.

from there, weekly look at something in your eating that needs to be removed. we all have them. is it the crackers? boxed cereal? soda (even the diet is as bad as smoking)

look at what you need to add to your diet daily to make you healthy. variety is the key! fruits and veggies are soooo full of goodies for your body. it's not just a calorie, it's what that calorie has in it.

cheering you on!!!
    Jane
  • turbojanem
    Options
    fyi...three years ago i was about 75 pounds over weight. my doctor looked at me and told me my first job was to take care of my temple. yesterday at church when i was volunteering as a greeter, she said hello skinny. me skinny. who knew that could happen when i was so unhappy, pain was every minute of the day, BP was high, blood counts were high, and my moods at their lowest.

all things are possible.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello, read your post and I can completely understand your dilemma. I myself could afford to lose at least 100 lbs but I've decided that I should start with a goal of 50lbs so I do not become to overwhelm thinking about losing so much weight. I am here to offer support and encouragement. I think this is the best weightloss website so far. Good luck and Happy losing!
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    logiesmom - I'm there with you on the 100 lbs to lose wagon.

Start now.

One day at a time, one meal at a time.

I've managed to lose 22 lbs in about 6 weeks (the first loss was a ginormous water weight drop of 10 lbs). I'm eating healthier, better foods.

Exercise-wise - I've started out slowly. My body wants to move, but frankly, it's not quite up for fast-moving/high impact routines. I dance around my apartment for 10-15 minutes at a time. I walk in place for 10 minutes. I do my best to move at least 10 minutes a day, knowing that eventually, I'll be able to up the minutes and get to a regular 30 minute workout.

Happy to have you on board!!

-- Maria
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    my doctor gave me 4 things to do to start....they were so easy and now I love to share them

1 do not go anywhere that has a drive thru
    2 eat off a salad plate no return trips for more
    walk 5 minutes today and add a minute or two everday
    line up your 8 glasses/ bottles of water the night before and make the line go away durring the day.

Easy peasy , Hope this helps
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    Sounds like you have made a great first step and now you just have to keep going! Start watching what you eating and making note of it and counting calories or whatever method works best for you. Exercise - Exercise - Exercise - best way hands down to lose weight. I tried several times to lose before but this time the difference is I got off my butt and started moving!