Saw myself in a picture on Facebook

Options
I started two weeks ago after I saw myself in a picture posted on Facebook. It is hard to ignore the excess pounds when it is posted for all to see. When I started, I had no idea how many calories I was eating. I'm trying to eat things that help me feel full longer. Apparently I have quite a sweet tooth, because I almost always go over the sugar amounts, even though I may be under calories. I do like fruit and am not eating as much because they add so much sugar ,but it does not seem right.

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing like a picture to slap us in the face with cold, hard reality. Welcome!
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just be careful about the kinds of fruit you eat. There are some that are lower in sugar. Best of luck to you!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    That was what did it for me... pictures of me jumping on a trampoline at a family reunion. I really don't want to tell you how HUGE I looked. Even though I was still only 175lbs, which I understand is some people's goal weight. *sigh* It's different for everyone, I suppose, but it was heartbreaking for me.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, such as diabetes, you really shouldn't be paying attention to the sugar on here anyway.

Focus on staying under your calories and getting enough protein and fats and you should be just fine!
  • The sugar in fruit will not kill you. it's annoying that MFP lumps it with processed sugar. Yes, the fructose from fruit is the same fructose in your processed cereal, BUT it's packaged with fiber and nutrients that your body needs. The fiber prevents you from absorbing most of the sugar anyway.

So eat your fruit. It's good for you.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling. There are a couple of pictures of me on FB. Luckily they were taken after I'd already lost almost 55 pounds here on MFP but I'm still obese.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes pictures can be so hurtful. I pull out pictures of me now and just say WOW! I am still a work in progress but I am getting there
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It was a picture that got my butt into gear! The picture was of me with my niece and Fiance taken at Christmas time(2 years ago). That very next day I made a change and never looked back.
  • pollypocket3
    pollypocket3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's a picture that is keeping me INSPIRED to keep going. I saw one of me the other day of where I want to be and it's made me focus back down because I was straying a little bit. Stay positive! You got this!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugar in fruit. The benefits outweigh the sugar, and your body needs sugar to function properly anyway.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    **** This *****
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugar in fruit. The benefits outweigh the sugar, and your body needs sugar to function properly anyway.
    Absolutely.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I actually deleted the sugar macro. I was always over because of the fruit. I just look at the carbs now, but not religiously either. Protein and staying under may cals seems alot more important to me.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A picture did it for me, too. I mean, I knew I was overweight, but good God... the chins!

Much happier now that I'm working toward a better me. :)
  • chezzamanezza
    Options
    Turn a negative into a positive and use that picture of yourself as a motivational tool.
    I have a few of photos I hate on the inside of the cupboard where my partner keeps his goodies. Makes me think twice about munching on a biscuit or sneaking a chocolate. It has cut my intake of snacks by about 3/4.
  • Leimaro
    Leimaro Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can relate!
    Went to a Christmas party (2012) with a friend and to no surprise I saw a pic of me on FB the next day! Surprise! Had no idea how overweight I really looked. :noway: I avoid pics for that reason. I got a copy of the same pic and blew up the size (yikes! hard to look at), framed it and put in my room. I now face my reality everyday to give me a reason.

Hoping to replace it this christmas with a pic of a smaller me! :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eventually, those "before" pictures will be a positive thing. My befores are a great source of motivation, and comparing them to my "now" pictures is a whole lot of fun. I can't wait until I have "after" pictures to add to the collection.
  • walkerkt00
    walkerkt00 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fruit, I mean LOVE it. My favorite part of summer. I had the same problem with my sugar goals, but I don't mind if I go over as long as it is healthy sugars. And if a sweet fruit keeps you from eating processed sugar, then go for it! Healthy baby steps. Someone on here said, be only as healthy as you can. This is a long term change, and depriving yourself of everything you love is not going to help you. You may want to look into fruit with a lower glycemic index, such as blueberries. Also, I found I was always going over as I tended to have carbs for breakfast (quinoa, yogurt and granola, etc). Once I moved to protein in the morning (ie eggs), I found I stopped going over my sugar and tended to snack less during the day. You'll find the right balance for you :D
  • mariepreston1995
    Options
    Strawberries are the lowest in sugar and calorie content....and they are very yummy. :)