"LOOSE WEIGHT FAST" ...F**K THAT!

Options
Does anyone else get the "Loose weight fast" adds on here????? Excuse my language but those f**ken piss me off!!! Or when you go to the grocery store and you see the "Tone your stomach in just 2 weeks" on the magazines...... How many people actually believe that stuff?? I can see how all of that false information would cause people going into their weight loss journey or new way of living or healthy life style... whatever you want to call it... with high expectations of fast weight loss. What about your teenage daughters... what does it do to their perspective of themselves.

Or maybe I am being a close minded person... and you really can tone your stomach in just two weeks and you really can lose 20 lbs in one month (which sounds very unhealthy to me).... If not though... Isn't false advertising illegal?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My thoughts?

Calm down.

There's way too much crap out there to let yourself get too excited about it. If you're a parent, then use those advertisements as an opportunity to teach your kids to identify B.S. Hell, turn it into a game. Anytime my 7 y.o. comes to me with some claim from the Discovery Channel or toy advertisement from T.V., my first response is "what do you think?" We play that all the time, and the discussions that follow are fantastic. Critical thinking is an acquired skill.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I think you can tone your abs in two weeks but you won't necessarily lose inches in the same time without changing your eating habits. I lost 4 lbs in each of my first two weeks but who are we kidding, most of it was water weight. My body is really changing quickly after only 2 months working with a trainer at the gym.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My thoughts?

Calm down.

There's way too much crap out there to let yourself get too excited about it. If you're a parent, then use those advertisements as an opportunity to teach your kids to identify B.S. Hell, turn it into a game. Anytime my 7 y.o. comes to me with some claim from the Discovery Channel or toy advertisement from T.V., my first response is "what do you think?" We play that all the time, and the discussions that follow are fantastic. Critical thinking is an acquired skill.

I think it just upsets me because I am working so hard!!! and then I see that *kitten* and I am kind of gullable.... I don't buy into any of it but it is hard to ignore when your heart is telling to the 1lb a week is an amazing accomplishment then your head tells you different! Thanks for the feedback! I am not as angry now hahahaha!! :smile:
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think you can tone your abs in two weeks but you won't necessarily lose inches in the same time without changing your eating habits. I lost 4 lbs in each of my first two weeks but who are we kidding, most of it was water weight. My body is really changing quickly after only 2 months working with a trainer at the gym.

Well then I am really going to start working these abs of mine hard!! If you workout extremely hard can you speed up body changes??? If so what is classified as working out extremely hard? Safely?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe try not to let little things bother you. I think you'll be happier and able to focus more on your goals :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Well then I am really going to start working these abs of mine hard!! If you workout extremely hard can you speed up body changes??? If so what is classified as working out extremely hard? Safely?
    To what end?

People really need to ask themselves this question whenever trying to decide what to do.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't look at the ads... Seriously, I don't even notice them.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't look at the ads... Seriously, I don't even notice them.

Browser extensions are wonderful things.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I honestly barely notice the ads. The sad truth is that the ads are designed to take advantage of people who want to see immediate results with minimal effort. Instead of changing their life they just want a quick fix. If you worry about how kids and teenagers may think about such ads, just open a dialogue.
  • staypossitive
    Options
    Hey ! I Dont get any support from my family .. well thats becouse i didnt tell becouse im afraid theyll just say oh yea ? in your dreams !:( its so awfull ! can you help me guys ? pls ?
  • KathrynKennewell108
    Options
    The body is designed to SURVIVE. It will do WHATEVER it can to do that. So it will not let go off that weight without a fight. The cr@p they are peddling in the media is just nothing more than advertising designed to play on your emotions. Tune out to it. Water off a duck's back. As for things like abs etc. Abs are made in the kitchen. Find a set of meals and variations that work for you. Stick with them. Avoid drastic changes in your life. They usually lead to the house of cards coming down round your ears. I had fantastic abs the day after I gave birth to my daughter. The nurse who came to give me a physical check up on day 2 confirmed that. But when you can't see it under a layer of padding, who cares about what you can't see? If you want to see them, slowly strip the excess layers off. One. Step. At. A. Time. Your body didn't get out of whack overnight and it won't right itself in any short amount of time either.

I avoid ads in general like the plague. I know their game. Get a media centre and banish ads from your lounge room. Or better yet. Turn off the TV. Ours is rarely on. Stop buying rubbish women's magazines. Don't financially support their BS. Aim for slow steady progress, and above all, the happiness that comes with doing your best and making peace with the rest.

But I firmly believe weight-loss accompanies true inner happiness. So if you are doing something you detest to get there, you've almost failed already. Go to the source of the problem and stop using the gym as a bandaid.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Weight loss ads on here? Huh... I never noticed them!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My thoughts?

Calm down.

I think it just upsets me because I am working so hard!!! and then I see that *kitten* and I am kind of gullable.... I don't buy into any of it but it is hard to ignore when your heart is telling to the 1lb a week is an amazing accomplishment then your head tells you different! Thanks for the feedback! I am not as angry now hahahaha!! :smile:

I feel the same way as both of you
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think if losing weight was that easy .. we would all be skinny and this site wouldn't exist. That tells you something.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Remember - 1 lb a week is 50 lbs in a year! That is an awesome accomplishment! Be patient and be proud of the hard work. It will pay off.