BodyFat % Error?

Options
Ive recently tried to track my bodyfat and it came out as 13% and I dont think Im doing it right. Im 180.8 and 6ft 3/4. I have a lot of bodyfat around me well it feels that way. And I have manboobs. I tried comparing my body to others 13% bodyfat online and I found nothing near my body type. I am using this to measure my waist URL= http://gyazo.com/899614e3bc9633a90be80614c6588472 and it comes out as 32 inches. What should I do really confused? I do Cardio 80% of the time and I do Strength Training 20% of the time. URL= http://gyazo.com/36e32a1d9ce5a2732184c1e53417dae3 Excuse the curse marks when I was younger I loved food more than my very every on body! Ive lost 60 pounds already through out dieting.

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ive recently tried to track my bodyfat and it came out as 13% and I dont think Im doing it right. Im 180.8 and 6ft 3/4. I have a lot of bodyfat around me well it feels that way. And I have manboobs. I tried comparing my body to others 13% bodyfat online and I found nothing near my body type. I am using this to measure my waist 899614e3bc9633a90be80614c6588472 and it comes out as 32 inches. What should I do really confused? I do Cardio 80% of the time and I do Strength Training 20% of the time. 36e32a1d9ce5a2732184c1e53417dae3 Excuse the curse marks when I was younger I loved food more than my very every on body! Ive lost 60 pounds already through out dieting.

body fat tests can be largely inaccurate, except for hydrostatic weighing and DEXA scans.
  • Slumza
    Options
    I really dont know what to do Ive always heard people track theirs but I never knew it went this way.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A metal tape is not going to give you a very accurate measure. If you do not have a flexible seamstress tape, use string and measure that against the metal tape.

But, even with that, BF% estimates are just that "estimates".
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    First of all, using a measuring tape that is meant for construction to measure yourself is less than ideal. At the very least use a tailor's tape measure but something like this http://www.fitshop.ca/accufitness-myotape.html is what I use and it works well.

As to body fat % how are you determining that?

Lastly, you need to life heavier. Your picture looks like classic skinny fat. Try something like Strong Lift 5x5. You also may want to eat at maintenance or even a little above to put on some muscle. With that you may need to increase the portion of your calories that comes from protein, especially if you are following the MFP default guidelines.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There's an app called TactioHealth that should help you work it out.

But best way is to make an appointment with your local gym for calliper measurements to determine your dermal readings from a professional.
  • Slumza
    Options
    Well Ive just bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7YW7Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to measure bodyfat and I will try adding muscle but which is best now should I change my whole regime into strength training or do cardio and strength? I want to get 10% bodyfat.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Personally I would suggest Strength Training with High Intensity Interval Training ditching the long duration cardio completely for now. The main focus should be on Strength Training.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What will you do when you hit 10% as measured by XYZ device?

Do some naked jumping jacks in front of a mirror. That will tell you if you have low enough body fat. Going by some arbitrary number has no meaning for your daily life.
  • Slumza
    Options
    What will you do when you hit 10% as measured by XYZ device?

Do some naked jumping jacks in front of a mirror. That will tell you if you have low enough body fat. Going by some arbitrary number has no meaning for your daily life.

Because its close to the estimated type of body I would want.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My goal is also to lower my body fat % . I am starting on a weight training plan still with doing some cardio.... I wish you the very best, I know you can and will reach your goal... Congrat's on your current weight loss... Keep up the great work...
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Good choice on the measuring tape.