Eating 1200 Calories a day is hard!

Options
I try to eat the right number of calories a day but in order to get there I would be eating too much fat and sugars, I don't know what to do? Any advice?

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing that. Also, why are you eating so little? Figure out your TDEE and subtract 250 or 500 calories from that and actually eat!
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My mother does it and she is 83! Natural sugars are ok-juice, milk, fruit, carrots, etc. Refined sugars are the ones to avoid.The other part depends on what consitutes the protein part of your meal and how much oil/added fat dairy is being consumed.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    No it's not.

Besides, what is wrong with fat and sugar?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a metabolic disease that requires limiting sugar, don't worry about it. I have never tracked it, and have no problem losing fat. As to fat, also don't worry about it since for weight loss calories are what are important. Note, fat does not make you fat, eating too many calorie makes you fat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fat and sugar are delicious. Eat them.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    High protein foods such as greek yogurt, jerky, peanut butter,

But unless you are diabetic, you don't have to worry that much about sugar.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out your calorie and macro targets for a sustainable deficit for your goals? If not go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A 1200 calorie diet is do-able if you eat your exercise calories back. If you burn 500 calories exercising, your could eat up to 1700.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    if the sugars and carbs are coming from fruits and veg, I don't worry about going over on those numbers. When you only get 1200 a day, you really have to eat clean to hit your goals. My life consists of a lot of egg whites.

To the person that said 1200 isn't enough, for some people it is enough. Just because your TDEE is higher, doesn't mean everyone else's is.
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A 1200 calorie diet is do-able if you eat your exercise calories back. If you burn 500 calories exercising, your could eat up to 1700.

My response was based solely on the topic title.

Fat is not bad for you, you can get healthy fats from butter, coconut oil and olive oil.

I think MFP sets the sugar allowance on the low side. Your sugar should be natural sugar from fruit and not processed.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I would die on a 1200 gross calorie diet. I would rather work my *kitten* off exercising and eat a normal amount.
  • alexomahony71
    alexomahony71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise and you can eat more. Went to gym today so few glasses of wine and some crisps. Happy days
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ignore the fat and the sugar (if it's coming from fruits and vegetables) and eat enough food. (Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to consider all sugars.)

It's not hard to eat (up to) 1200 calories. If it were, you wouldn't be here. :smile:
    You just have to plan a bit.

But again, if the sugars are coming from whole foods (like fruits and vegetables), ignore the number. (Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to consider all sugars)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's funny that the OP is complaining they can't eat that much, and some people are responding telling her how to earn more caloriesto eat .
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can make 1200 calories vanish in about 10 mins and that is whole foods.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat 1200 calories at breakfast, but I can do it if I wanted to.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's funny that the OP is complaining they can't eat that much, and some people are responding telling her how to earn more caloriesto eat .

Do you really expect people to read the OP before posting?
  • alexomahony71
    alexomahony71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You mean I have to read op's before sounding off!!!!!!!! OUTRAGEOUS
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above, I doubt you could fit too much fat into 1200 cals if you are also eating enough protein and some carbs. As mentioned above, sugar really isn't an issue and MFP's sugar limit is very low. What do you consider too much fat?

ETA it might help if you opened your diary or told us your goals for protein, carbs and fat