Trail Running shoes

Options
So today I ran on a gravel/dirt trail. I've been a road runner for 4 years with no issues. I wore my regular running shoes today, and it seemed like my body took a rough pounding from the landings and was slippery at times. I was curious if it's worth buying trail running shoes to use when I go out into the woods....Are they worth it? Any tips I need to know?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I bought my first pair this year. I wear them for obstacle course racing and any time I train on trails. I usually just run on roads though. I have the Brooks Cascadia trail runners and they are definitely heavier/bulkier than my road runners, but they feel more stable as the tread is definitely chunkier. I wouldn't go back to road runners on trails, personally. You can get some lighter weight ones if you prefer. I just went with Brooks because I've been running in Brooks for years and I knew they'd fit me (bought them online).
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Asics have been pretty good running shoe for me for years now. I've heard a lot of good things about the one you mentioned also.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am no pro runner by any means but I do have a pair of trail running shoes. I feel they are well worth it. I bought a good pair and made sure they had the hard bottom plate to help protect your feet. I have a pair of Salomons but looking at the Saucony Xodus 4.0. Not sure how much trails your looking to do but if you think it will be more than 1 time a week than I would say go get a pair.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I buy trails shoes(ASICS) along with street. They have a thicker soles which is needed when I go off trail into the woods jumping over fallen trees or up hills with thick brush. Basically added protection, better sole for gripping lose surface. They even work well on ice packed trails.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg is correct and I have even had screws put in the bottom of them for better grip on ice runs and still could use them after the race with no issues.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I bought my first pair this year. I wear them for obstacle course racing and any time I train on trails. I usually just run on roads though. I have the Brooks Cascadia trail runners and they are definitely heavier/bulkier than my road runners, but they feel more stable as the tread is definitely chunkier. I wouldn't go back to road runners on trails, personally. You can get some lighter weight ones if you prefer. I just went with Brooks because I've been running in Brooks for years and I knew they'd fit me (bought them online).

Which model Cascadia do you have? And how to did you find them on Everest at Tough Mudder?
    Mine seem to be a bit slippery on smooth wet surfaces. Not sure if I'm expecting too much from them or not.