What made you stop binge eating FOR GOOD?

Options

Replies

• newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    *bumping* as I have the exact same problem. have been grazing the cupboards all weekend :(
  • spaceychik
    Options
    I wish I could!! I have gone through long periods of time when I did not binge, but for a few years now it's a nightly activity. I make dinner, and then really crave some down time, so I lay on the sofa and channel surf until I find something tolerable to watch. I do this until my husband and son are asleep, and then I take a long, slow breath of relief, and start searching for something to eat. I tell myself to turn off the tube and go to sleep, but I'm not sleepy and feel like I'll get in bed and toss and turn. Also I am supposed to use a CPAP and I hate it, so I'd rather delay going to bed. Last night I didn't binge because there was nothing binge worthy in the house. I really wanted to, though. Instead I went to bed at 1AM, tood a sleeping pill and read, then put on the CPAP when I was sleepy enough. I love my husband coming home, but he also makes me nervous because he is always walking around deciding what to do with his time, or finding things to be frustrated with. I guess he feels guilty for not doing chores that I've asked him to do like taking laundry upstairs or putting tools away, when he wants to work on his hobbies. I then get anxious because I feel guilty for sitting and watching TV. When he goes up to bed (he gets up at 4AM so goes to bed early) I feel I can relax so I want to eat.

I think one solution to my binging is to go to bed before it starts. Also to realize that my husband is feeling guilty too, because he doesn't want to do the little things I've asked because he wants to relax and play with his "toys", and so he procrastinates, walks around like a crazed guinea pig, and justifies it by reminding me how early he gets up and no one has respect for him(i.e. I ask him to do stuff), no one helps him (not true) and yadayadayada
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I started binging on other things. Positive things, like running. People binge eat because of different emotional reasons. I used to do it when I was upset with somebody or something. Now I just take it out on the road.
  • spaceychik
    Options
    Running is an excellent solution.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Again, like several people have said, upping my calories has really helped. I also do Zumba a few days a week. I do it at home so that just my hubb and my boys can see my fat shaking around :) I binge about every 2 months or so. I try to keep somewhat of a frame of mind and dont let it get out of control. I dont like it that I still do it and I know that its unhealthy, but once every few months is better than every few days like it used to be. My Ah ha moment was a binge on my ride home from work a few years ago. I had a bag full of crap from the supermarket and after I was done I threw the grocery bag with all of the wrappers out the window. I had forgotten that I had put my change purse in there while leaving the grocery store. The change purse had ALL of our money for the week in it. That night I had to break down to my husband and inform him of my problem. That was the hardest thing for me to do, but I still think it happened for a reason. I needed for it to be exposed so I could face it head on. I still have out of control moments and fight the desire to binge all of the time. But every time I head on past the drive thru without stopping, I feel a little victory. You are not alone and you can get this under control. The very best of luck to you in your journey!!! :)
  • Cheechos
    Options
    I didn't read the other posts, so forgive me if I say something another person has said. Although I haven't been able to quite stop binging completely, I think I've come close to working out a formula that will eventually stall out the compulsion. I have a big problem with sugar, so I went low carb for a while. That helped, but then I missed sweet things a lot and whenever I indulged I took too big of a portion, which triggered a binge. Right now, something that seems to be working is eating small portions of a sweet with every meal. For example, in the morning I'll have gummy vitamins with my breakfast, a third of a mid-sized candy bar with my lunch, and like half of a muffin with dinner. Since I'm getting small amounts of sugar throughout the day, I'm undercutting my cravings before they start and not binging at night (which used to be a big problem). I don't know if a plan like that would help anyone else, but it's been working so far for me. If I keep the portions small and consistent, I can go an entire day without feeling the need to down a tub of ice cream.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What it comes down to for me is that there are certain foods that I. just. cannot. have. Nothing else I have ever tried has worked.
  • celticchrys
    Options
    It may be helpful to watch episodes of the BBC show "You Are What you Eat" on replay. They do an excellent job of showing how very poorly people eat, making it all seem quite gross, etc. Then they coach the person through eating an extremely healthy diet, but still showing that it's really REALLY hard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giUZoZSoLwY&feature=player_detailpage#t=96
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have a dessert every night. I plan it in. I would have off limit food but that would just cause me to want what I couldn't have. I used to eat until my stomach was so full I'd vomit... No I wasn't bulimic. I'd just eat and eat until my stomach could no longer hold it ..and out it came. I would hide my binge eating episodes by overexercising. People thought I was dedicated.But it was a symptom that I was sick. I had to get away from overexercising. If I ate too much I lived with it. I also had to stop punishing myself with exercise. And yes, I plan dessert EVERYday. Sometimes I don't always eat it because sometimes I'm just not hungry. But I plan it in anyways. I dont have any offlimit foods now. Since nothing is offlimits, I don't feel the need to binge. I also switched my training from going for the bikini look to powerlifting. (No binging for over a year!) Good luck to the OP and to us all who have struggled with this and who continue to struggle.
  • inksyrup
    inksyrup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stopped binge-eating several months ago when I increased my calories, exercised when I wanted to or when it sounded fun, and worked in snacks into my calories every day (1300~1500kcal/day--things like pretzel m&ms, granola bars, oreos, whatever) while still eating healthy things /that I enjoyed). When you feed your body enough--and when you give it what it wants--you will notice a change. Your body will thank you for it.

Edit for a quick example: A few years ago, I LOVED peanut butter. When I started crash dieting and over-exercising, I wouldn't allow myself to have it because it was too caloric, but I'd end up binging and eating it straight out of the jar anyway. Now I eat PB everyday because I work it into my calories. I don't have the impulse to dive into the jar anymore.
  • checkp0int
    checkp0int Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Binge eating and over eating have nothing to do with will power or control. It has to do with Choice.

I have spoken at length about binge eating and over eating in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656765-bingers

Give it a quick read :-)

I have to say I disagree with that. Choice isn't everything. Binge eating can come from a place that you don't even know about. Choice, control and willpower are not the same thing. They're all psychological and as such are all complicated but it's not as simple as just choosing not to do something when you don't know why you're choosing to do it.

Well it's your right to disagree, but I must ask, did not read the post I linked to, or my replies to it? Choice and control are what I talk about in them at length, you might have a different opinion. :-)

I'm just sayin'.

I did read it and I still disagree. Yeah, you do choose to binge but like I said, if you don't know why you're choosing to do that then it's not as simple as purely coming down to choice. Control for me, is everything. I now know why I binge and that knowledge gives me the power to control it and my cravings. Everyone's different and uses their own methods.

Its all about choice just like the alcoholic that chooses to have a drink even though the insanity of knowing what is going to happen if he does. YOU know your patterns, so the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting different results. don't pick up the trigger food and you will be ok..... pick up the trigger food and you will start all over and keep repeating the same insanity over and over. Also it is all about CHOICE and not control. Only thing you can control is your choice after that, its binge or not binge. stick to the basics and you will be ok. Learn why binging is a symptom to the real problems that lead you to do so.

If you don't know why you binge but you think its not as simple as choice. SURRENDER to your trigger food and you should be ok. In the process you probably will start picking up on your patterns of wanting to act out on food. Like i'm powerless over pizza so i don't eat it, i have the choice today to do so, but if i eat it all bets are off and i'm going to go over board.
  • ziggiezambi
    Options
    I have to politely disagree.. I don't think people choose to be alcoholics... I think that is more of addiction like smoking or over eating, which you can learn to control. :tongue:

I think it’s more about control and finding ways to give yourself small treats through the week to stay on board. Pre logging and scooping out proportions instead of carrying around full jars/bags or whatever the case may be.

Also treat yourself when you exercise as encouragement to do more workouts so you can have a larger deficit and more treats.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but it was a gradual process for me...finding the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group on this board helped tremendously...recognizing that I had to fuel my body with enough calories throughout the week so I didn't feel deprived. Also strength training and HIIT 3x/week allows me a feeling of control and power...work towards small goals. Have you read Nia Shanks' website. She's awesome! She did a podcast interview about her past binge habits that really resonated with me. My next goal is to ditch the scale! So far it's been 2 weeks and I feel so much better for it! Also, I would highly recommend therapy!!!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but it was a gradual process for me...finding the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group on this board helped tremendously...recognizing that I had to fuel my body with enough calories throughout the week so I didn't feel deprived. Also strength training and HIIT 3x/week allows me a feeling of control and power...work towards small goals. Have you read Nia Shanks' website. She's awesome! She did a podcast interview about her past binge habits that really resonated with me. My next goal is to ditch the scale! So far it's been 2 weeks and I feel so much better for it! Also, I would highly recommend therapy!!!

I love NIA SHANKS! Her stuff resonates with me too. When I actually decided to be honest with myself and decided it was the weight on the bar that mattered and not the scale...that was a big big start.
  • jsaturn127
    jsaturn127 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have gotten better than I was in the past. I used to binge daily, then I cut it out all together for 2 months but lately I have been up to my old tricks. I need to recommit to the cause every so often. I made the decision when I turned 40, I was going to drop about 40 pounds and get in shape. I was working out before, but my body processes couldn't keep up with what I was putting in. As I type this I just finished 2 servings of Doritos. I love to cook and I love food, but I have made major changes in what I eat. And to me, it is just will power and not saying to myself, "You just lost 35 pounds, see you can do it. Its ok to eat what you want now because you have proven you are capable of losing it."

I will go to the gym now and burn off the Doritos and a lot more as I have been averaging 1000 calorie workouts and attempt to stay "clean" for another day. My addiction is food. I love the smell, taste, texture and putting ingredients together to form wonderful things. As some of my friends who have been through AA and NA tell me like any other addiction, its one day at a time and their are good days and bad days.
  • PaulaRicco
    PaulaRicco Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So many changes in my life helped me control my binge behavior - and I don't mean just binge eating, I mean binge everything. Binge facebooking, binge spending, even binging on negative self talk! I hit a point that I realized that binging automatically put me in a place where I wasn't in control of myself and I knew I wanted to change. I started to alter the way I did things and set limits for myself. It took a year, but I am finally in a place in my life that I can depend on myself to live the changes I worked so hard to make. It's become habitual! Self exploration and keeping a journal could help with this journey - a good therapist and nutritionist to work with you on your goals could be key. Take it day by day. All you have to do is live today the best way you can.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ashamed to admit this but Bethany Frankle's book 'naturally thin' did it for me. I may have just been ready to hear it but thats the point at which I stopped eating to the point I was sick.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Stop hating yourself, sort out stress in your life, eat properly, and then the urge goes away. Sounds simple, but it takes time. This was my experience anyway.
  • Phia8843
    Options
    Many of these replies are unhealthy and counterproductive, in my opinion. I've death with eating disorders (anorexia and binge eating) for several years and have been in therapy for eating disorders for several months. I have an amazing therapist (technically a nutritionist) who is helping me make a lot of progress. I think that some of these comments (having to do with denying cravings and willpower) are still coming from places of disordered food relationships, so i would recommend no one listens to them (although I say that with nothing but respect and compassion for the commenters who posted them).
    I am certainly not healed yet (heck, I even binged today!) but i do believe I am gaining some important insights which I'd love to share. First of all, restriction in any form (including counting calories) and the desire to lose weight are the enemies of healing. Acceptance of your body the way it is RIGHT NOW is probably the hardest thing in the world to accomplish, but I believe it is the surest path to healing. Mindful eating seems to be the other key: eating slowly and consciously (really being aware of taste, texture, scent, etc), not multitasking while eating, listening to what foods you really truly want at that moment (not foods you feel you should have or want), and listening to (and responding to!!) your hunger/fullness level. Really attuning to what foods make you feel good (short term and long term) will help you discover a diet (not in the weight loss sense!) that is nurturing and life enhancing for you personally. Trying to breathe and create space between a strong emotion and the reaction to it (binging or restricting) will help you gain insight into your habitual pathways and help you respond thoughtfully to situations.
    My eating disorders have been the hardest, most miserable and trying parts of my life. I am not through them yet, but I can see hope for healing! I really feel for all of you struggling with similar issues, and I wish you nothing but happiness and healing! good luck!
  • Phia8843
    Options
    Sir, I am concerned that you write that you plan to go to the gym to burn off the doritos and much more. I understand that that is the logical thought process (and I have had it countless, countless times), but exercising to compensate for a binge is a form of purging (bulimia). I don't mean to be diagnosing or pointing fingers, and I have nothing but compassion for your journey (and admiration for your progress) but I do worry that this comment is not 100 percent healthy advice for others.
    Also, I think its wonderful that you love cooking as an artistic pursuit, and I wish you wouldn't demonize that passion in your comment! Best of luck on your path to healing!