Painful knees

Options
Let me begin by saying I am calling the doctor when the office opens in the morning.

Today I have been experiencing pain in my knees. I have never experienced this before. The pain is just below and to the inside of my knee caps.

I took two days off exercise, so I have not done any exercise since Thursday. On Thursday I walked 1.5 miles on the treadmill, no incline. No weights, or squats since Wednesday. The pain started today.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing pain in this very localized spot?

Thanks,
Shari

Replies

• Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No idea, but I have had a similar issue since trying couch to 5k nearly two weeks ago. I being the stubborn individual I am kept walking 3 miles a day for nearly a week before deciding I needed to rest it last Thursday. I self diagnosed it as runners knee, and though it is slowly getting better, it is not there yet. To make things worse I have an issue with the opposites foots big toe, so I am seeing orthopedics and or podiatry (the hospital uses them interchangeably, so maybe I can too?) on Thursday. My Pcp suggested that the toe caused me to walk different which strained a muscle in opposite knee, but it feels more painful Thani would expect for that.

I shall see, but I am mostly just upset I can't exercise as I have been, it is hard for me to just rest now that I am really motivated to change.

Let me know how it goes and I will do same, and friend me if you want too.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. Hopefully the doctor can give something better. A guess based on location would be some form of repetitive stress thing, but again, the specific location does not ring a bell.
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The way you explain it sounds just like when I had Runner's Knee. I didn't know that was what it was and I tried to 'push through the pain' and ended up making it worse. I had to wear a brace for over 6 months anytime I worked out. Now it flares up once in a while and I just wear a brace until it feels better again. I did end up with two torn ligament's though. So don't forget to make that appointment.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    patellofemoral syndrome, maybe. sounds like that, i have that (plus arthritis). whatever it is, rest until you see your doc.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I was doing the C25K program. I entered a 5K, then became ill and had to stop running. I gained weight (a lot of weight) and developed some health issues. I was unable to do much of any exercise. I started physical therapy and can now do some exercise. Walking used to aggravate my back. When it didn't bother the back, I tried to walk for 30 minutes and it screwed up my knees. Grrr....

Thanks for the advice.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Keep us updated on what the doc things as well.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. I feel much better this morning.
    I have a form of RA that cause stiffness and aching in my joints in the mornings. I am only experiencing the "normal" discomfort in my knees this morning. I've been up about three hours and the "normal" stiffness is leaving and yesterdays pain has not returned.
    I'll take it easy today, no treadmill or weights that will put strain on my knees and see how it goes.