Porridge made with water

Options
Today was the first time I have made porridge using only water and it was great! To be honest I always thought only poor people would have their porridge this way (more fool me lol) I also added 100g of blackberries so it ended up a very healthy breakfast so I am now sold on water with my porridge.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    That's the traditional Scottish way of making it. Though with salt not blueberries
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine with 1% milk. I like adding some extra protein to keep me full and makes my oatmeal creamier.

When I'm ready to maintain I can't wait to put butter in my oatmeal. ^.^
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I now make mine with water but then add either an Activia Vanilla Yogurt or a Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, then some Blueberries or Blackberries and a spoon of Maple Syrup........delicious, filling and warming!
  • viv0147
    Options
    I now make mine with water but then add either an Activia Vanilla Yogurt or a Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, then some Blueberries or Blackberries and a spoon of Maple Syrup........delicious, filling and warming!
    Yummy that sounds gorgeous I will try that
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yes, water is best, once cooked then add the milk and fruit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions I've had porridge, I've always made it with water and added milk once it was cooked.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It is also good to sprinkle some cinnamon and add a tbsp of almond butter to the water before adding the oats. Then add berries after it is cooked.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've only ever made mine with water. I recently started putting more stuff in my porridge. This is what I currently put in my porridge:

1 tsp brown sugar
    2 tsp pecans
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    2 tbsp vanilla soy milk
    1/2 cup fresh picked blueberries (picked them myself)

It's only about 310 calories, and it keeps me full from 5am when I eat to 11 when I have lunch.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I always make mine with water.. I only add milk if it's too thick after it has been cooked. Tastes good to me :) I flavor mine with peanut butter and honey, and bananas when I have them around.