HOW TO AVOID EATING AT NIGHT

Options
I am a college student, and I am up late at night studying most days [until 2 or 3 in the morning]. A lot of the time when I stay up late I snack to stay awake and energized so I can study. However, I really think this is bad for my health/lifestyle changes and weight loss. I noticed that when I refrain from eating at night I feel fitter and more energized in the morning. It's SO hard though. Any advise to stop snacking at night without going to sleep earlier? Thanks!!

Replies

• 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same problem and the only thing that works for me is not having craving foods in the house. If it is in my fridge or cupboard I will eat it. I have lost all self control once I get started. If I don't start I am usually ok. good luck I hope this helped.
  • Airadet
    Airadet Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'd like to hear people's suggestions as well.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have to eat late at night or I get really grumpy and CANT sleep! lol

But when I first started to wean myself off originally, I simply got stuck into my hobby. For me its making music. For you perhaps reading a book? Writing? College work? Studying? I have no idea what your hobbies are sorry for all the bookish hobbies but I dont know what your into Just keep yourself busy and do something productive.

But I really like the feeling of a full tummy before bed.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time of day you eat your calories, as long as you eat them. Just make sure your snacking is healthy. Think fruit, boiled eggs, jerky, carrot sticks, etc. Have these things close at hand at all times and don't keep junky snacky things around.
  • BrouhardRj
    BrouhardRj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh I used to do that so much.... Here is what I did... Every time I would want to eat , I would drink water or tea... If I still wanted to eat.. I would stand up and walk in place for 5-mins..( crazy ya).... If I wasn't in mood.. And really wanted to eat.. Eat Fruit or Veggies..

But then again if you are up super late you still should eat every 2-3 hours So just watch what you are eating...:smile: .
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency has no bearing on weight loss, eat anytime you want... If your up late then shift the majority of your calories to that time and enjoy them. Just make sure you are hitting your caloric intake goals and macros...... Best of Luck
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Keep raw veggies on hand and don't avoid eating just make better choices.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just not eat until later at night, that way you still have calories to spend later. Also try to stick to protein and fruits/veggies. The protein will help you feel full and the fruits and veggies will let you have more to snack on with less calories.
  • sammanthaamarie
    Options
    I have the same problem. Some nights I feel like I can't possibly fall asleep unless I eat something first.
    My advice is to drink a bottle of water and find something very low in calories to snack on. Raw veggies is a great suggestion! I find that pickles work really well for me. They take me a white to eat, maybe 10-15 mins, and are pretty much calorie free.

Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I work nights so most of my calorific intake happens then. If you feel sluggish maybe change up what you eat rather than fretting about the time. High protein keeps me fuller longer so I'm less likely to mindless picking/snacking. As others have said just fit it into your daily allowance. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat in relation to weight loss, but if it makes you feel bleurgh! Just don't hit the starch based/dense foods.
  • astange83
    Options
    i brush my teeth so i don't feel like eating afterward
  • ItsAnIllusion
    ItsAnIllusion Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love having a snack in the evening after the kids are in bed. It used to be cheese, salami, crackers, and a 7&7 (or 2). The calories from that add up fast! I knew I had to stop eating so unhealthy, but I'm just not willing to give up a little evening snack, so I've switched to rice crackers and laughing cow cheese, or some popcorn with just a little butter, or the Sensible Portions veggie straws. I have talking rain to drink with it. It satisfies the need for a little salty crunch without going overboard on calories.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Perhaps to avoid the study distraction of trying not to eat...a few preplanned healthy munchies available in case you need to keep your energy going. Otherwise, I just immerse myself into what I am doing - sometimes a stick of sugarless gum does the trick for me. Good luck!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Back in the dark ages when I was a young skinny varsity student, I had this problem. If I had to pull an all nighter (essay due or sth) I would eat teaspoonsful of coffee-and-milk. this was in the days before guarana had taken off so your only caffeine was in coffee.

anyway that stuff was shocking for your weight. Not to mention handing in your essay, going home, collapsing into bed and staring bug-eyed at the ceiling for the next five hours.

So I switched to water. But not just any water. oh no! I had a glass jug, with a crocheted doiley with the cute beads on the outside for drape. And I had a tall, tall glass, and a straw.

and I put lime in it. Over here you can buy little bottles of lime juice. I'd squirt lime into the jug, and drink water.
    Or else I would pour about 1/4 of a jug of apple juice, and top it up with water. it stopped the water being water. I hate water.

It actually worked. And it dealt with that 'want to eat something' problem.
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    What I find is nice, are these chikn burgers, they are around 100 caleries and are really good. Chopped up and put into a wheat tortilla they make a good snack and are very healthy to boot or if you want a more savory approach Goodness Knows are good too (from what I can read from the nutritional facts and ingredients)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What I find is nice, are these chikn burgers, they are around 100 caleries and are really good. Chopped up and put into a wheat tortilla they make a good snack and are very healthy to boot or if you want a more savory approach Goodness Knows are good too (from what I can read from the nutritional facts and ingredients)

I would go with this one. That could be a very satisfying snack for around 200 calories. Only I would have 2 cuz I ain't afraid of eating at night. I would just make sure I hadn't eaten all my calories during day walker times.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am a college student, and I am up late at night studying most days [until 2 or 3 in the morning]. A lot of the time when I stay up late I snack to stay awake and energized so I can study. However, I really think this is bad for my health/lifestyle changes and weight loss. I noticed that when I refrain from eating at night I feel fitter and more energized in the morning. It's SO hard though. Any advise to stop snacking at night without going to sleep earlier? Thanks!!

IF you are hungry then you are hungry. ITs up to you to know the difference between real hunger and having the munchies. Drink lots of water throughout the day or have some watermelon or sugar free jello with sugar free cool whip to munch on. Make sure you just have snacks that are good to eat or easy to grab. YOu could easily keep plain almonds around for a quick grab snack too. YOur body doesn't have a clock that says oh its time to stop eating... it metablizes all day so keep the brain power going while studying and make a low cal smoothie or something. That's what I woud do anyways. Other than that, get some gum and chew away.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency has no bearing on weight loss, eat anytime you want... If your up late then shift the majority of your calories to that time and enjoy them. Just make sure you are hitting your caloric intake goals and macros...... Best of Luck

^^
    totally this
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Avoid it by .. not avoiding it.

Maybe have a big meal at 7 or 8. Then have another substantial meal at 12 or whenever you get the munchies. And I do mean a meal like oatmeal with two egg-whites and milk and some nuts in it.

And try to sleep more. Lack of sleep is not good for weight loss.