Doing C25K and having IT band pain? In hip area...help?

Options
Ok peeps, I have started doing the C25K program with my family with a goal 5K in mind. We started week 2 today. On week 1 day 1, we went up a decently steep hill as we were heading to a friend's house to drop off some flyers for the 5K (they love doing 5 and 10K runs). Anyway, that night after the program, my hip started hurting. From what I can gather, it looks like the IT band area, right where my hip bends on the left side. The first day it was hurting on both sides. I did the proper stretches before and after, even looked them up online to see if I was doing them right. It was stiff and very sore for the next day. Did day 2 and while it doesn't hurt when I RUN, it hurts RIGHT after, not a real PAIN, but very uncomfortable and sore, some days it has me sore to where I'm hobbling, but after walking a little while it seems to ease up some, then is stiff and sore again, but most times right after it hurts some, even with stretching, and I limp a little for the first few hrs then its just uncomfortable after I first stand up from sitting, and is very stiff. Usually after a day of rest it is fine until my next day of C25K, then its same thing right after the run, doesn't hurt during the run, but only afterwards, as soon as I sit down, when I get up I feel the stiffness/soreness/pain.

I don't have new shoes, I have older ones and I'm trying to find a place that has some decent ones I can afford and that are even in my size. I live in a very small town so have to travel an hour away just to find shoe stores.

Anyway, so at first was thinking it was my shoes, but its only on the left side, and I read somewhere on a running site that it could be from pushing TOO hard with that hill on day 1. I also wonder if I'm having bad form when I run?

Anyone have any suggestions to help or other stretch ideas or links to stretches that I may be able to try new ones? From what I can tell via online its the IT band where it goes across the front of the hip joint, not quite the exact front of my leg, but not quite the side, right in between and right at where the hip bends the leg. (Sorry I suck at describing things lol).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have this too , I went to see my doc about it last Monday ,
    stretches do help.
    I have been doing this one and it helps.

The simplest stretch is to lie on your back, bring your left knee up to your shoulder, and push your knee over to the right shoulder with the palm of your left hand. Hold for 20 seconds, and repeat five times. Then do your right knee. Do this exercise at least three times a day in addition to making it part of your pre-workout routine (yes, you can continue to exercise), and you’ll probably see results in about a week. When the condition clears up, just use the stretch whenever you can; more is better!

You may want to google greater trochanteric bursitis

heres some stretches for that (this is a similar / related runner's injury.)

http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_trochanteric_bursitis_exercises/

I found these helpful too.

Don't worry too much about pushing too hard ( its all hard aint it? :)) just remember that rest is important. Good luck.
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    stretches do help.

The simplest stretch is to lie on your back, bring your left knee up to your shoulder, and push your knee over to the right shoulder with the palm of your left hand. Hold for 20 seconds, and repeat five times. Then do your right knee. Do this exercise at least three times a day in addition to making it part of your pre-workout routine (yes, you can continue to exercise), and you’ll probably see results in about a week. When the condition clears up, just use the stretch whenever you can; more is better!

http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_trochanteric_bursitis_exercises/

Don't worry too much about pushing too hard ( its all hard aint it? :)) just remember that rest is important. Good luck.

THANK YOU, I will definitely try those out! I appreciate it! :)
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    stretches do help.

Just wanted to let you know that those stretches seem to be helping! Thank you so much, I appreciate it!