Best Thai food options?

Options
I'm meeting a friend for lunch next week and we're getting Thai food (yum). Normally, I get pad thai but that can run 800 cals per plate. My birthday is the week after so I don't want to go over. Any ideas for lower cal options? The restaurant is local so I can't preplan too well

Replies

• KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Google the restaurant and find their website. Look at their menu and see if they have calorie/nutrition charts. Check the food databases here, based on the menu items.

Also, Googled and found this: http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/10-ways-eat-healthily-thai-restaurant
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm meeting a friend for lunch next week and we're getting Thai food (yum). Normally, I get pad thai but that can run 800 cals per plate. My birthday is the week after so I don't want to go over. Any ideas for lower cal options? The restaurant is local so I can't preplan too well

I love Thai food!

Probably the ones with the sauces might have more calories like the curries, made with coconut milk, BUT they are worth it to me :) If you get red chicken curry, ask them to add vegetables, they will, even if you have to pay an extra dollar or two.

How about the tandori chicken? thats basically chicken barbecued in a clay pot, check that out to see if its better caloriewise. Last time I looked it had good calorie value.

Fried anything usually has more calories than something grilled on a skewer. (like kebabs)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Avoid the noodle dishes, creamy curries and satay. No deep fried spring rolls etc. Pick some kind of stirfry with protein and veggies and go easy on the white rice. Something like chicken cashew or garlic and basil chicken. Or of you prefer one of the salads would be okay liek a Larb Gai salad.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Try a veggie pad thai without egg or a thai basil dish with brown rice. Also fresh rolls are just rice paper, veggies and rice noodles and are low calorie.
    A lot of thai restaurants also have different kinds of salads or tom yum soups.
  • ItsAnIllusion
    ItsAnIllusion Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I do Thai for lunch, I like to get fresh rolls (or summer rolls, I've seen them called both -they are the ones with the soft rice paper around veggies), hot and sour soup, or satay (using the dipping sauce sparingly). Papaya salad and cashew chicken would probably be good choices, too.

ETA: This post totally made me crave Thai food, and I have just enough calories left to have fresh rolls. Yay! Late night Thai run. :)