Could the Pill be stopping my weight loss?

PussyKat
PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Pretty much what it says in the title. I've been having trouble losing weight since I went on the pill (microgynon 30) and wondered if that was the problem? Anyone have any experience on this?

Replies

• KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Actually the same thing has been happening to me, so I'm sure it does have an effect.
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    i was on the same pill up to about 2 years ago for about 7 years, i actually lost weight when i first went on it, and it certainly didn't seem to influence my weight while i was on it. but i think the problem with the pill is that it can affect people differently. i think i was one of the lucky ones.
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    hey,

I have been wondering the same thing, am on mycrogynon 30 also.
    Over the course of 2 years, watchin what I eat, an exrcising more - thought not as carefully as I am now - I lost about a stone (without really realising, so was obv VERY grudual!)..

However, now I am really trying, and weight does not seem to be shifting! My body is changing slowly but as for weight loss, not so much.
    Would b good to know!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Could be. I've been on microgynon 30 since before starting my weight loss - and I am losing ok, but one of the pill's side effects can be weight gain. Have you thought about talking to your doctor about other forms of BC?
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    I'm on the mini pill (because I was breastfeeding) and it hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    I've been on several different pills, one I actually started off losing weight, but then gained it all back plus! On top of switching to a very soy-based diet, I gained over 20 lbs! I am finally on my way to losing what I gained but I also switched to the Nuva Ring last year. It takes time for your body to adjust, but the very first thing I noticed was an instant 2 lbs loss without me doing anything,

Everyone reacts differently to the different pills, and while Dr's "swear" the pill does not "make" you gain weight, I wonder if it messes with your hormones enough that your body "holds" onto food and stores it instead of burning it. As much as I worked out and cut my calories before going off the pill, I couldn't lose anything & packed on 8lbs in 2 months!

It's taken about a year, but my body is finally adjusting to the Ring and starting to get back onto a "normal" cycle: I just had to be patient and I'm really glad that I was:happy:
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    I'm on a quartly and skip the fakes everytime. I've been on it for about three years this way. It does not seem to have made a difference for my loss journey. Always worth checking with your doctor if you think it is a problem.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    I'm currently on Depo shot..I haven't gained at all. I've been losing.
  • PussyKat
    Have you thought about talking to your doctor about other forms of BC?

The trouble is, most BC options will alter your hormones and I know that different types affect everyone differently. It's just finding the right one for you that is a *****. I hate being a woman.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Have you thought about talking to your doctor about other forms of BC?

The trouble is, most BC options will alter your hormones and I know that different types affect everyone differently. It's just finding the right one for you that is a *****. I hate being a woman.

I have a plain copper IUD (coil) no hormones and I've found it fantastic.
    As for your original question I had no problem with microgynon 30 and loosing weight while I was on it, but it does affect everyone differently. Good luck with finding something that works for you.
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    I second the regular copper coil, its been great, don't have to worry about remembering to take a pill or go for an injection, and no weight gain.

I was on Microgynon 30 as a teenager and definitely gained weight, I was ravenous and ate loads!

Went on it again in my 20's and never gained. but I was careful not to eat anything high calorie when I got my hunger pangs
  • PussyKat
    A plain IUD sounds like a really good idea actually, especially seeing as I often forget to take the pill at the right time. Going to ask at the docs tomorrow, thanks very much for the advice xx
  • the pill doesn't necessarily mean you'll gain weight but it can give you a bigger appetite which in turn means you tend to eat more to be full and gain weight!
    I'm on the same pill and have put on a few lbs but for me its probably more to do with me working in an office behind a desk all day and not exercising enough
    Talk to your doctor if your worried though and you can change to another kind that might suit you better
This discussion has been closed.