Protein Powder Help

Options
Hello everyone!

My mom suggested adding a scoop of protein powder to my morning fruit smoothie to keep me more full through the morning. Sounds like good advice.

Here's where I need help..I don't know any good ones! I'd love one that didn't kill me calories wise..and that won't make my smoothie taste weird or have the texture of chalk.

Any advice is always appreciated!!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Protein powder will be higher in cals (probably 110 in a scoop in what I use), I use GNC flavored and it doesnt taste bad, EAS myoplex stuff is good to me, didnt really care as much for the muscle milk.
    But the protein should help you keep fuller
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just use a tablespoon of peanut butter. Regular will work, but I use Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams (no added sugar and it's chocolate).
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    One of the Top 3 protiens it is called ISO Sensation 93. I get vanilla bean. I have tried Mypolex it is good but this is better. You can get it at GNC
  • DebraThompson
    Options
    I use solution 5 from gnc it is awesome and no sugar added.
  • Anita1271
    Options
    I used Spirutein (sp?). It was delicious especially the Banana flavored one.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use reliv which isn't strictly protein but does the same thing. tastes good.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I use Iso Flex whey protein powder. It's $60 for 150 scoops. Each scoop has 118 calories, 27g. protein and only one carb. I buy it at a local vitamin shop, but i'm sure you can get it online. It's sooooo delicious. I just mix it with water, so i imagine with a bunch of fruit and goodies it would be even better. They have chocolate, chocolate peanut butter (this is the one i have), vanilla and strawberry. I've tried them all, obviously choc pb is my fav. I'd stay away from the strawberry...it tastes like medicine.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get a lot of different options. I've found that Designer Whey doesn't make my smoothies taste funny. Whey protein powder is generally good for that, I tried hemp and it was NASTY. My favorite is to mix a scoop of chocolate designer whey, a scoop of Better N Peanut Butter (100 calories per serving), and a cup of soy milk. Makes something like a choco-PB milkshake. I have Strawberry too and I mix a scoop of that with some frozen mango, half a banana, and a cup of soy milk. There's a lot of options with protein powder.
  • DianneInPa
    DianneInPa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you have one near you, Wegman's has whey protein powder that I use - it is 80 calories and has about 16 grams of protein so it is a good bang for your buck. I usually get the vanilla flavor sine it does not seem to affect the fruit smoothie taste. Trader Joe's also has a good whey protein. Whatever you use, plan on 80 to 120 calories a scoop.
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Consider using a silky tofu. It blends up totally smooth and usually tastes like nothing at all (the fruit in your smoothie will be the flavor).
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I would say get anyone that you can handle the taste of.....
  • coachlunk
    Options
    Read the label...watch the sugar content especially if your already using fruit.. I use MHP probolic 12 hr release,it carries me thru my morning workout
    I take it about 600am, workout(xfit & cardio) and eat solids around 800-815.
    Goodluck....if you go to GNC ask for samples and join the club it will save you some money.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Protein powder will be higher in cals (probably 110 in a scoop in what I use), I use GNC flavored and it doesnt taste bad, EAS myoplex stuff is good to me, didnt really care as much for the muscle milk.
    But the protein should help you keep fuller

Myoplex is good stuff.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Go UNJURY.com and check out their products and recipes. It is the protein product that was suggested to us and the one given to us in the hospital after gastric bypass surgery.

I use the unflavored in puddings, jellos, soups, etc, (anything that has a distinctive taste). The chocolate is good and the chicken soup is good as a meal and mixes well with mashed potatoes and vegetables.

I would also add a teaspoon of instant decaf coffee to the chocolate to give it a mocha flavor if you like that taste.

Good luck to you on your journey to new lifestyle by dropping those excess pounds.:wink:
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I have Optimum Gold Standard Whey in Double Rich Chocolate and really like that. I just ordered it in vanilla and chocolate mint but haven't tried them yet.

I get them from GNC.com
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    when comparing proteins, make sure you look at the serving size :)
    where one says 100 calories to look "better" it is usually just a smaller amount of powder.

casein protein will keep you feeling full longer since it's slower absorbed.

i know isopure is a low/no carb (based on flavor) and is lower in calories.

100% whey is an all around good protein.

muscle milk is higher in fat, but tastes better. more fat=higher calories.

one of the best i've seen at gnc (price and macronutrient wise) is optimum nutrition's 100% whey gold standard.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I use solution 5 from gnc it is awesome and no sugar added.

Solution 5 is my favorite MRP. Excellent profile.