OUCH :(

Options
I started doing weights back in March and really got in to it, as well as circuit training. I went on holiday in June and it all stopped. I started the circuit training a few weeks ago and on Friday began with the weights again.

I saw the fitness trainer who gave me a new programme. Now please forgive my ignorance here I am not up on all these things. He said it was based on 10x10? I had four things, Barbell squats, barbell rows, chest press, shoulder press. To begin with he said to do 10 reps of each and start with 5 sets, then each week, build it up 1 set at a time, so that in 5 weeks I should be doing 10 reps, 10 sets.

Anyway, he really put me through my paces! I was sweating like I couldn't believe, my arms especially were killing me. He told me to stretch off properly and I did, but mainly concentrated on my arms as they are literally about to drop off! I woke up Saturday unable to walk and today... OMFG!! My legs are burning! I can't walk up or down stairs, sit down or stand up! I am guessing this is because I didn't stretch them out afterwards...

So, the reason I am posting... Is there anything I can do to help? Also how long is this likely to last? Also can I expect this after each session?

Replies

• _Z3sty_
    _Z3sty_ Posts: 120
    Options
    DOMS will only last a few days and if you really want to go ahead and ease the pain you can use a supplement called L-Glutamine but I recommend to rather shower and alternate between hot and cold water and a good stretch afterwards. Luckily you will only experience DOMS for the first few weeks when doing a new routine until your body have adjusted to the new stress levels.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I do remember when I first did weights I ached, but NOT LIKE THIS! I can barely even sit down, going to the toilet is a mission LOL!!

My children have even had to help me get about the house!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My legs are burning! I can't walk up or down stairs, sit down or stand up! I am guessing this is because I didn't stretch them out afterwards...

No, it's because you did too much too soon. You should have done no more than 2 sets per muscle group on your first workout. It's never beneficial to be that sore.

In the mean time, light movement and stretching.. Check youtube for stretches for quads, hamstrings, etc..

How often will you be working each muscle group? You're more likely to get more sore if you work each muscle group only once per week vs. twice.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer really put you on German Volume training, or is there another 10x10 program?

If it is gvt, find a new trainer. That is an advanced program.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer really put you on German Volume training, or is there another 10x10 program?

If it is gvt, find a new trainer. That is an advanced program.

AH-HA... That is what he called, I couldn't remember what he said it was, He said it was based on that.

I did actually really really enjoy it at the time! Even want to do go back and do it again, but obviously, be a bit more careful next time and remember to stretch my legs afterwards!