Mirena IUD............ And my weight.

Options
I had the Mirena IUD implanted amost 3 years ago. I had just had my son. Never lost any weight, probably because I really didn't try then-and Probably gained some. Not sure if it was my lack of effort or the Mirena. Recently my husband had a vasectomy. On my next Annual Apt (this month) I am going to have the IUD removed. What do you think will happen with my body chemistry? Do you think it will make it easier for me to lose weight? Or do you think it will go into shock and pack more on? I'm a little worried.

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I haven't had one of these but I did have the contraceptive implant in my arm, I think it made me put on weight although that may have been in my head - but it also made me more hormonal and I had a constant mother nature situation going on if you know what I mean. I've felt a lot better since having it remove and have lost all my weight after having it removed.

Mimix
  • skinnysims
    Options
    I have had mirena 2x and it never affected my weight at all. Because it is such a low dose hormone studies that mirena has done has never shown any significant affect on weight. When you have it removed all that will happen is that your body will go back to normal menstration and the lining of your uterus will go back to normal. There are no long term side effects after taking it out...other than the ability to get pregnant!! Hope this helps!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    i have had a period the whole time ive had it
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about 4 years now. I had it put in right after I had my son also. I lost about 25 pounds after I had him. Over the new couple years I gained it all back. I really don't think it had anything to do with the IUD. I was eating a lot and so I gained weight. I wouldnt really expect a huge change after you get it taken out.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena since December 09 after I had my daughter, at the time I weighed in at around 300lbs and am down to 250lbs now. Losing weight in general is tough sometimes but I don't think the Mirena is the cause.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i had the mirena put in 6 wks after my daughter was born in september 2007...i have not noticed any gain since having it put in...i have been consistently losing since i started this journey in january 2008...it will be very interesting to see if you notice a difference once you have it removed...please let us know.....

ps...i have not a had "period" persay since before i got pregnant with my daughter in january 2007 with the exception of the one i had directly following her delivery which is when i had the mirena put it....it will be very weird to go back to having a monthly cycle when i have it removed in the fall of 2012 (my husband will be having a vasectomy that summer so i can have it removed and not have another reinserted - i paid for the damn thing, i'm getting my 5 yrs out of it LOL)
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    When my Mirena was removed, it didn't make me gain or lose. It DID make me emotional, because of the hormones. I hope you're not an emotional eater. lol
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    When my Mirena was removed, it didn't make me gain or lose. It DID make me emotional, because of the hormones. I hope you're not an emotional eater. lol

Hadn't thougth about the emoitional/hormonal change aspect of getting it taken out. Should be interesting when I do get it out LoL.
  • sherrilewis
    Options
    I do not have experience with the Mirena IUD personally, but really want it :) It is quite expensive. I have researched it a lot though and other options as well. My doctor told me that the Mirena IUD is not systemic so it doesn't affect any other part of the body besides your uterus and that small area where it is located. It should not affect your moods or your weight because the hormones are not going through your entire body. This is just how I understood from my doctor. I have had major issues with the Pill and the hormones affecting me negatively. I hated taking the pill for this reason. Anyway, I think you have nothing to worry about!
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I got my IUD in July 2007 after having my son. I just got it out on September 8, 2010. I dropped about 3 pounds right after I got it out. I have since gained them back because I start AF on Sept 30th. I will be curious how my body reacts now. I did not have AF for the 3.5 years I had the Mirena IUD.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I got my IUD in July 2007 after having my son. I just got it out on September 8, 2010. I dropped about 3 pounds right after I got it out. I have since gained them back because I start AF on Sept 30th. I will be curious how my body reacts now. I did not have AF for the 3.5 years I had the Mirena IUD.

i seriously had to "google" AF....i'm assuming it is the same as TOM based on what i read lol...the crap we women have to endure :)
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It affects every women differently, I know women who have lost weight and women who have gained weight after having one.
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    The mirena is recommended to women as it doesn't tend to affect weight gain/loss xxx
  • KatieLou41
    Options
    I've always had periods with my Mirena too, I also get ALOT more spots! :(
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    BTW~If anyone is short (about 5'4" or under) there is a support group just for you! Here is the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/124090-fit-fun-sized-group-october-10
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I've only used birth control about 1-2 weeks of my entire life.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I've always had periods with my Mirena too, I also get ALOT more spots! :(

Me as well, and I hope that stops when I get it removed this friday!!!