The Power of Music!

Options
Hi All

I just wanted to see what music you listen to, to keep you going? It amazes me how you can be flagging but then a good song comes on and it spurs you on. Do any of you make special mixes for long runs/work outs with the best songs timed with tricky parts of your workout?

For me I like to run to trance music and a genre called 'Hard house' which is bascially really energetic dance music with lots of bass. It really does make the world of difference!

It will be interesting to hear what you do....

Donna

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I started this journey with Zumba and have developed a taste for latin music. It is also a faster tempo that keeps me walking at the 4mile pace. I LOVE my walk/run time and get in my own zone with my iPOD. This is MY time and I love MY time for ME.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For the gym I love industrial (Rammstein) and hip hop (Xzibit, Kanye) as well as a couple other rock/ metal songs that get me fired up.

For running and cardio all I listen to is Glitch Mob. The tempo in a lot of their songs matches my pace perfectly. Have a look at " we can make the world stop" and "Drive it like you stole it"

-Adam
  • mom2tknmk
    mom2tknmk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic to track my walking. I set a powersong to get me through those moments. My current power song is Pink "Raise Your Glass"
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    :)
  • april1445
    Options
    I went on jog.fm and got an eclectic mix of music between 150 and 160 bpm for running. Awesome.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Music is SO motivational! I generally watch tv during my treadmill walks/elliptical, and ride my bike while I read ... but I've just starting listening to music while I do a 1 mile jog and it makes a huge difference. I'm totally bound by the beat, so I'm working through a big playlist I have and finding a bunch of songs that work well with my 5-5.5 MPH pace (I know, I'm slow).

I also think the jog.fm website is helpful to find similar songs ... put in one you know works well for you, and find other songs with the same beat, or people's playlists that include that song (if they like it too, you might like others on their list).

I know Miley Cyrus has got a lot of hate for her VMA performance (which I didn't see) ... but her "We Can't Stop" is the perfect pace for me. But then her "The Climb" came on and I actually ran an extra 1/2 mile because it energized me so much.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 but have 2 teenagers so I am starting to like their music. Current favorite for working out is Ceiling Can't Hold Us.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    There is something about the power of bass guitars and aggressive singers. When I work out I have to listen to rock (disturbed, system of a down, drowning pool, mudvayne) During boot camp and boxing that is the genre of music they typically play also,