The Harcombe Diet...

Options
I lost weight through eating smaller portions and watching my calorie intake. I did not deny myself any foods, if I wanted something fried, well, I had it! If I wanted chocolate, ice cream, crisps or sweets, I had them! I also stopped drinking so much fizzy stuff and drank mainly water. I also went to the gym and did a circuit training and weight training.

A family member lost weight through the Harcombe diet. I don't know much as this but she has basically said that calories are a load of rubbish and mean nothing, that provided to eat CLEAN & REAL food you can eat as much as you like, even the all the fat and skin and not have to do exercise.

She said that if you had someone who ate only what was advised on the Harcombe diet and a person who counted calories and exercised, the person who was on the Harcombe diet would lose more weight?

What are your thoughts on the Harcombe diet? Personally, I will stick with eat what I want, exercise and enjoy life :)

Replies

• floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    my partner followed the harcombe method earlier in the year. it was restrictive and the first 2 weeks or so were, in my opinion, similar to many other low carb diets. he lost over a stone in weight and hasn't gained all of it back (he did lose a bit too much at first). he still follows the 'rules' like having a fat OR carb meal some of the time but then other times i notice him eating 3 or 4 doughnuts in one go......

its not for me. i'm a vegetarian carb lover so i'm trying the eat less by logging calories and try to move about more method :smile:

eta to me, it looks like my partner has lost a fair bit of muscle too but that may be because i'm more used to seeing the slightly padded version of him.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Almost every diet I have heard of works. The question is, is it something you can stick to for life?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I went to harcombediet.com and I can only say that the spiel (which there was more of than facts listed) will appeal to a novice dieter or someone who is still truly lost as to why they are overweight. :huh:

As that is not me, I find it to be a bunch of hooey :blushing: I am truly suspicious of editorials as it's just someone's opinion & they are hitting all the right sore spots for the novice who is trying to lose weight.

My case is slightly different in that once my metabolic issues were managed (T2D) making all else equal, I was able to lose weight using a modest deficit along with exercise.

The difference is that, FIRST, I eat differently due the the T2 (macro ratios are different) SECOND, comes the mod. caloric deficit. As opposed to the other way around :blushing:

::shrug:: it might help some people though...it's a process :drinker: