bump
  • daisyblue8
    daisyblue8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Personally... I've set myself with much smaller goals to start out with. I even went as far as setting my ticker to only losing 10 lbs to motivate me to LOSE those 10 lbs. It btw is working. I feel more motivated if I see a smaller number than a larger number. For me.... 95 lbs seemed unreachable, and I would just binge eat and quit. But since I've changed my mindset to smaller goals I'm doing it!!!! That is what works for me... its all mindset and man... the mind is a powerful thing!

Good luck in your journey!
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself, be consistent, exercise, don't feel bad on days you ate over calories

I've seen many people, including me that when eating over calories feel real bad, and say well I f'd up today
    Might as well just eat whatever.

That does more harm then good. Eat 200 over won't phase you, but giving up on the day and eating 2000 or more will hurt.
  • gebe1231
    gebe1231 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My advise is to keep in mind why you are doing it! Before when I tried to lose weight because "I should" just wasn't a good enough excuse for me! When I hit 35 years old I realized I'm getting older so I decided I wanted to lose weight for longevity & quality of life! It has made a huge differance! I look around at older people & see the fit active ones I want to be like & I see the overweight ones that struggle to walk & realize I don't want to be like that so I've got to keep going! Looking at food & exercise as nutrition & fitness has helped as well!

Best of luck to all on this journey! I'm not done yet, but believe me....it is sooooo worth it!!!
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good post?!Thank guys, all of you :):flowerforyou:
  • ZsaMoli
    ZsaMoli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just read this topic. Wow! Everybody are so fantastic! :D

Smaller goals are good, that's what I also do. Cca. 2 weeks and I will reach my first mini-goal: lost 8 kg! :) And that will be the end of my first "Running 4 fat loss" program on RunKeeper.

What is helping me?
    This site: I log every day my food and exercise, and log my weight once in a week. Almost every day I read the "Sucess Stories" in the forum, your stories and pictures are my biggest motivation.
    RunKeeper: I never liked to run before, but a lot of my friend started to run in this year, and I was curious why is it good. I installed the RunKeeper to my phone, I chose the "Running 4 fat loss" program, and I started it. Okay.... that's not running what I actually do, it's just fast walking, but hey! it works! :D Oh, and I go every day by bike to work, and I measur my cycling also with the RunKeeper. That is so good and motivating for me to see how many calories I burned with cycling and running.

Keep going! :D
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    - Monitor what you eat, ~20% Less then your TDEE
    - Exercise 3-4days a week, 1hrs sessions. Cardio/weights. Whatever you find fun and enjoyable.
    - Join a sport if time allows.
    - Get a buddy or get tons of MFP's to help with motivation.
    - Try and walk 30mins every day, walk that dog..!!
    - Set small achievable goals. eg: I was 107kg, My 1st goal was hitting double digits, now I'm 98kgs and aiming for 90kg.
    - Don't give up, and if you fall off the bike, get back on it.! don't be discouraged.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    any special diet or shakes? a tips?

Yes...Don't do a diet or shakes!

Eat back your exercise calories and don't remove "junk" foods you like, just try and limit them a little and make them fit into your goal. Cheat day once every 2 weeks won't hurt either and will give you something to anticipate if you really miss a high calorie "junk" food!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Where to start... Firstly I would be more focused on the advice of those who have actually done what you're trying to do and been successful. I lost 118lbs five years ago and have pretty much kept it off ever since.

1. Set mini goals - take it a stone / 14lbs at a time.
    2. Don't set a definitive goal but re-assess as you go.
    3. Log everything, even on the bad days and use the notes to record your moods too, so you can see any patterns emerging.
    4. Move (do whatever you can but keep as active as possible).
    5. Drink loads of water.
    6. Get lots of sleep.
    7. Weigh no more than once a week, once a month if you can cope with that. Measure yourself too once a month.
    8. Get yourself some supportive friends on here who log everyday.
    9. Realise that this is going to take time and most of all

DON'T GIVE UP AND KEEP GOING
    Good luck
    Jules xx
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I exercise daily, try to take Sunday off unless I get restless. Walked at first and now I walk/run and have added weights. Also my trainer has me do a strict Adkins diet every 3 months to shake up my body. Is only for 10 days and it is a very SAD 10 days, but it seems to work and keeps the plateaus to a minimum.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This may be a little "different". I have about 50-60 lbs to lose. the most important goals I am setting are about

"What to do" not the result

Eating Green (MFP wise) or 28 days per month
    working out 6 days a week
    Eating 3 servings of fruit or vegetables per day
    Exercising for 2100 calories per week

Not once did I mention a weight goal.. the weight will take care of itself if you do the right things

Good luck! :smile:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give.... This is a lifestyle change NOT A DIET! However you decide is the best way for you to lose the weight, be sure to make it something you will be happy following forever. If you don't do that, you are going to be yo-yo'ing and get frustrated and just give up. Don't go for the quick fix, remember it took time to put on all the weight, so it will take time to get it gone.

Best of luck! :drinker:
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Make a solid commitment to lose weight. Do not give yourself a way out, remove quit from your vocabulary. I did this finally and I'm down 103 pounds.
  • ccb1128
    Options
    Paleo
  • Lexgirl28
    Lexgirl28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My advice is to take one day at a time and focus on making the right choices for that day only. You won't feel so overwhelmed about the large number you have to lose if you focus on one day at a time.
    I'm a visual person, so I want to see my progress every day. I came up with my own little reward system. I got those 5 colored foil stars and each star stands for a goal I try to reach every day. For example, gold star means I've eaten 1,400 calories or less, blue means I have exercised for 90 minutes, green is for not eating past 7pm, red is for reading 1 chapter from the Bible, and silver is for going to bed no later than 10pm. For every goal I meet, I put a star on my calendar for that day. My calendar is hanging right about my kitchen sink, so I look at it every day while I'm doing dishes. At the end of each week, I add up the stars. When I reach a certain number of stars, I treat myself to a massage or a movie or a new outfit.
    Good luck! :wink:
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have to reward and treat yourself.

The only thing I have totally given up all together is pop. Everything else I just do as a reward and do in moderation. This way I haven't had the urge to binge on an entire pizza, or eat a whole apple pie, and/or gallon of ice cream. If I have a bad day where I feel I have eaten too many calories I am able to put it behind me and start fresh the next day. By allowing myself these breaks I am able to stay focused and have been able to lose the weight and have kept it off.
  • eleanorblack
    eleanorblack Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I track, I lose. As soon as I stop tracking it goes wrong :-)

Also, I like (need) to know at the beginning of the day exactly what I'm going to eat and when so I can then not think about it and not get home with no idea what to eat, start raiding the fridge and then it all goes horribly wrong! I work out what I'm having the night before and put in in my tracker in advance so I can check it's on target, then the next day I just follow my own instructions :-)

7 years ago I lost 100lbs in a year , then took my eye off the ball, my life changed, my habits changed and here I am again.... I recognise I have to be careful with this for the rest of my life! This time it's taken me a couple of years to lose 45lbs in a couple of stages, but the really important thing to me is that those two years have been the first of my life since then where I haven't *gained* weight!

I figure I got big through a being a creature of habit with my food - I can get smaller that way too!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on how far you have to go, just take one step at a time.

Log log log

Don't quit. I can't even count the number of so called "bad days" I've had over the past year (2 weeks shy of a year). Just log it and move on.

Life happens, don't deprive yourself. Enjoy, log and move on.

Find a physical activity you love and focus on being the best you can be at that. If you don't love anything, find something you'd like to try and fake it until you love it. It will take the focus off the scale.

Don't give yourself a timeline to lose the weight.
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    for me it's been more about focusing on the food and less about the weight. i very rarely weigh myself (maybe once a month?) so i'm shifting my attention to making sure i eat within my limits, make good food choices, properly portion things, and eat foods that i enjoy while doing all of the above. the weight is coming off naturally as a result of making solid, conscious decisions about what i put in my mouth.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!