Mononucleosis.

Options
Hey, I just got diagnosed with mono, which feels like chronic fatigue syndrome.
I was just wondering if anyone else had experiences with it and/or exercising while having mono - they told me not to do anything because I risk rupturing my swollen spleen. But I've been told light walking is okay. I just wish it would go away! I did some squats yesterday and my legs feel like water today. ._. And of course, if anyone wants to add me as a friend, feel free. :3

Replies

• alayahlan
    alayahlan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had mono three times in my life. The first time I don't think exercising would have even been an option. I was very young (12 or so) and got REALLY sick. I think I ended up loosing around 15lbs from the constant high fever I had and no appetite. It was enough weight off my small frame that my teacher didn't recognize me when I went back to school almost 2 weeks later.

I've had mono twice as an adult. Both times I was just really tired with no motivation. I didn't even know I was actually sick until my blood work came back. My doctor told me not to do any heavy lifting or contact sports, but other than that I didn't have any restrictions. I didn't force my body to exercise if it didn't want to though, I figured it needed strength to get me well. I wouldn't overdo it. ight walking would be the way to go if you wanted to exercise.

In all three cases it took me almost a month to bounce back to normal. Good luck to you.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    While I haven't had mono, I have had experience w/being in good physical shape, then having to take an extended break due to health issues. Once after a bad hamstring sprain, went back too soon, when I knew I shouldn't & ended up reinjuring it & increasing recovery time. About a year ago I had a serious sinus infection that wasn't responding to antibiotics, so they put me on the 4th & super strong one that had a side effect of tendonitis/tendon rupture. The pharmacist told me not to even WALK for exercise for at least 9 months after I stopped taking it. It was very frustrating, but I did get serious tendonitis & didn't want to risk tendon rupture, so just tried to eat right during those 10 months.

If your doctor says light walking is ok, then I'd try to do that several times a day. Whatever your energy level will allow. It should help your body to recover faster, if you can do that. The harder workouts will be waiting for you when you recover. Take it from me, don't take chances w/your health. And this article from Live Strong about mono & exercise confirms what your doctor said, & Live Strong is pretty hardcore about workouts. Feel better soon.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/346094-mononucleosis-exercise/
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Had mono when I was 18. Didnt take it easy continued going to work and out with friends (I was 18 of course I didnt listen to the dr). Long story short my liver got infected and got Hep C. Dr put me on STRICT bed rest and notified my mother as a precaution because I wasnt listening to orders! I was allowed to sit, watch tv and sleep. SO I would listen to your dr because it can cause serious liver function problems. My Hep C did resolve iteself but it took a bit. Basically the mono attacks your liver and causes it to mimic HEP C and if you continue it will shut your liver down. Thats how it was explained to me. Anyway good luck and remember its only for a bit.