6 weeks no weight loss

Options
Hi Guys,

I started on the 1st May 2013 and I lost 14lbs in the first 3 months but for the last 6-7 weeks I have not budged.

I have been pretty good with my eating habits and rarely go over. I am a 6ft 3 inches, 43 yrs old male and weight 306 lbs now from 320lbs.

My T-dee is between 2950 and 3150 depending which I use. I currently eat around 2250 calories.

I do little exercise at the moment, apart from a bit up body upper movement, I have been pretty inactive for a few weeks and I am expected to be the same for the next month (possibly longer) as I can not move much due to a painful groin condition.

Should I adjust my calories? I tried upping them but I put on a few lbs very quickly which lost again pretty quickly after dropping down again.

Thanks

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Did you recalculate your TDEE without the exercise... since you can't be as active right now?

ETA: Your TDEE also gets lowered as you lose weight, so keep that in mind. I'd estimate you should be around 2800 calories, if you're using a lightly active setting and wanting to use TDEE-20%. Try recalculating though, to be sure. And tighten up on your logging. If things start to slip, that's the first place you should check yourself. "Am I logging as well as I should?"
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would suggest maybe recalculating your calories based on your new weight and new activity level (inactive). You may just be consuming a few too many if your original calculations were for when you were heavier and more active?

That's the only suggestion I have...good luck! :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    From what I can see your BMR is around 2600, I'd try to stay around/slightly above that number. When you say 6 weeks does that include the time that you tried upping your calories slightly and gained and lost? You need to give changes around 6-8 weeks to take effect, if you started gaining and panicked you've probably not given your calorie increase time to take effect. I'm assuming you calculated TDEE off a no/low activity setting?
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tried upping the calories about 4-5 weeks ago, I only did it for 3-4 days. I thought you upped them for a few days then dropped back again to lose weight? Maybe I did it wrong.

Is it possible it could be something I am eating rather than just the calories? I know I added bread back into my diet after been without it for 3 months and I am wandering if this has stopped me from dropping. Maybe I should try cutting out the bread again first as I am hesitant about upping calories again and putting the 14 lbs back on ; - (

I calculated tdee at no active.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    All of the above is good, sound advice. The only thing I can add it be patient. I have been 4 months with only 2-3 pounds lost, but I have visible muscles in places & my clothes fit significantly better. Take more measurements than just the scale, there could be other things happening that won't register as weight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost weight in 6 weeks your not in a deficit.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    My Tdee is 3100 calories and I am eating around 2200 most days.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Adding bread back in might cause a temporary bump, just as a high sodium day would (water weight) but it wouldn't have caused an all out stall. It's just a plateau, be patient!

As far your calories go, 2250 is almost a 30% deficit from your TDEE and from what I can see on your diary, you don't always hit that daily goal so you're creating an even larger deficit. So I'd suggest trying to hit that daily goal more consistently. Undereating can hinder weight loss as much as overeating.

Are you weighing and measuring your foods? Try to be a correct and consistent with your logging so you can use it as a more efficient tool. I would also recommend replacing one of those listings (cholesterol) with sodium as that will definitely effect weigh ins.

And take body measurements and progress pictures. Sometimes the scale doesn't show changes but maybe clothes are looser or your double chin is going away...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Measure everything and log it.. since you can't exercise and your probably not moving much make sure your not snacking on anything and thinking it doesn't matter since its something small.. cause ya it does.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    My Tdee is 3100 calories and I am eating around 2200 most days.
    You'll find that there's a 20% allowance in labeling, legally and people generally don't log calories properly and can be out as much as 50% without knowing. Increasing calories is not the answer contrary to that popular belief.......being more correct with data and logging absolutely everything will help tremendously and I suspect your TDEE is probably wrong as well.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips, I will try a few of them especially the accurate weighing of foods.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    Well, patience is the key by the looks of it. Lost 2lbs this week after 6 weeks of no movement on the scales. Hopefully, I have a good run of losing for the next few months ; -)