Joining the Army. Need to bulk up.

Options
Hello. I'm Billy and I'm 19 years old. I just enlisted into the Army and I ship out on November 12th. However, I am like a twig. Need to bulk up. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eat. Lift. Misc. Sleep. Repeat.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Look into what their PFT is like, I believe its running, push ups, and crunches. Work on that and you will do fine.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    First, you'd want to calculate how many calories you need to eat each day, and probably add 200 or 300 calories to that since you want to bulk up. Then like Mguilmot said, you can start to lift at your gym or buy some weights of your own but I think lifting at the gym is better since they have all the good stuff. You also want to be eating a lot of protien =)
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Look into what their PFT is like, I believe its running, push ups, and crunches. Work on that and you will do fine.

Yep, this too!!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Eat. Lift. Misc. Sleep. Repeat.

Misc is code for poo :)
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Old Marine here.

The Army will take care of your physical training, and you'll get stronger in boot camp/basic training. Stronger is the operative word here.

Why would you want to bulk up prior to boot camp?

Work on endurance now, and blow them away with your running and upper body strength, instead of trying to run or do push ups/pull ups with an extra 5-10 lbs your body is not used to.

Also, if this is a "fighting" thing, that extra weight won't do you any favors if you aren't used to it.

Now, if your recruiter said to pack on some extra lbs, that's another story, because boot camp does tend to deplete some body fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat all the food

lift heavy stuff
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You don't need to bulk up, you need strength and endurance.

Big difference.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Old Marine here.

The Army will take care of your physical training, and you'll get stronger in boot camp/basic training. Stronger is the operative word here.

Why would you want to bulk up prior to boot camp?

Work on endurance now, and blow them away with your running and upper body strength, instead of trying to run or do push ups/pull ups with an extra 5-10 lbs your body is not used to.

Also, if this is a "fighting" thing, that extra weight won't do you any favors if you aren't used to it.

Now, if your recruiter said to pack on some extra lbs, that's another story, because boot camp does tend to deplete some body fat.

This. I actually gained 10lbs in bootcamp. Focus on strength & endurance. Let the weight take care of itself.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of food and do a lot of the exercises they will have you do in basic training.
  • leehudson1
    leehudson1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Was in the army for many years if you really are twig like than do think about a high protein diet and strength training before you go, but you don't see many huge guys in the army as its all round fitness and performance that matters and too much bulk will hinder you.

Get out and do some running to prepare yourself, if you have some ankle weights use them and you'll find it easier when you start running with boots on, don't push too hard You don't want to get an injury before you get there! Many people turn up and are in a shocking state of fitness and you will be pushed hard and be suprised how quickly you get fit and bulk up into an optimal area for the job.

Size isn't everything and it certainly isn't what will make you a good soldier.

Good luck and enjoy, wish i could rewind time and do it all over again, I'm jealous!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    As a few others have mentioned, Basic training will take care of itself.
    I enlisted in the Army at 5-11 and 145 LBS.
    I left basic at 165 LBS.
    That was 20 LBS of straight muscle doing nothing but what the Army told me to do.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You don't need to bulk up to get ready for basic training. Work on push-ups, sit-ups, running, pull-ups, and hiking while carrying a heavy pack (ruck) as that is what you'll do the most of. You won't be doing any heavy weightlifting while you're there, unless you count PT with a weapon (about 9 lbs) and the occasional buddy-carry. Almost everything is a bodyweight exercise.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Good luck and thanks for volunteering.
    As mentioned, lift heavy and eat.
    Look at Strong Lifts and GOMAD
    Gallon
    Of
    Milk
    A
    Day
  • helluvahairaiser
    Options
    there is a lot of great info on bodybuilding.com congrats on your new life choice and thank you for your future service