1200 cal/day - is it possible?!

Options
For my height (4'11) weight (52kg) age (19) gender (female) and activity level (light), the general concensus for my caloric intake to lose weight from various websites is ~1200 ish. How the heck do people stick to 1200 calorie diets?! Does anyone have any suggestions :/ I don't have issues with eating healthy at all, I love healthy foods. I pretty much eat cleanly apart
from sometimes eating bread a few times a week, or cheese like once a week (sometimes never). I eat low fat cottage cheese/light natural yoghurt practically everyday though. Also, I don't eat meat (except fish) for ethical reasons, not health reasons. I just have issues with quantities :/ Night times especially are danger for me, I just wanna eat so much at that time :/

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The more you move the more you can eat, it's that simple... if you wanna eat more, move more.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Many people are on 1200 calorie diets. Add a few and check their diaries for inspiration :)
    I myself am on a 1200 calorie diet. I live in Japan so my diet is a bit different due to availability of foods, but feel free to add me:)
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of days with more than 2000 calories--but ALSO a lot of days of 900 calories.
    I don't expect to be perfect each day. Some people can eat the same foods in the same amounts every day, but that drives me crazy.
    I've lost 29 pounds in 6 months and am satisfied with my progress.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just have issues with quantities :/ Night times especially are danger for me, I just wanna eat so much at that time :/

Fix the issues and you'll be able to eat any amount. Considered CBT or hypnosis ?
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This site automatically suggested I should eat 1,200 calories a day to reach my goal, but I had to manually set it to 1,600, I did try 1,200 for a while, but really just breakfast and lunch nearly fills it all up, saves very little room for dinner, I when well over 1,200 each time.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 male 83kg. On a 1200kcal diet for 7 weeks now.

Two things help me: intermittent fasting and (sometimes) replacing meals with protein shakes. Plus I eat half of my exercise calories back.

Going to up my calorie goal when I am at 80kg.
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey, im on a 1200 calorie net goal for mfp. feel free too look at my food diary for ideas :) am a pescetarian tho so no meat for me.I guess its about portion control really ,I like to save a lot of room for dinner lol so have a smallish breakfast and lunch and try to minimalise snacking ....but this probably isnt the best idea
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories a day for 8 months. It's not fun, but doable. I've increased recently because, quite frankly, I'm sick of 1200 calories a day.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    lower carb portions at meals.
    I.e. on a pasta packet it says a serving is 75g however about 40 is enough, same with rice and so on.
    Think of what takes up a lot of calories and try and work on that :)

also to the man eating 1200 calories. LOL!
  • stevember
    stevember Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1280 a day, add me see what I eat and no I'm not hungry much just when I should be ie before meals.

I'm paralyzed in wheelchair so very inactive.

Big noooos are: pizza, cheese, white bread rolls etc

Plus Olive oil s healthy but loads calories it can ruin a salads count.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Guess you have to move more if you want to lose weight, I'm a nurse in a physically demanding area, exercise daily-swimming, gym and aerobics and I found 1200 calories, though restrictive was adequate - be inventivewith your diet- some days I found it to much. Losing weight is a matter of keeping in deficit calories but HEY.. the result is worth it x
  • PinkkCamel
    PinkkCamel Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't considered therapies such as those but I'm not really sure about them. It might be a good idea though since I used to have an ED which kind of predisposes me to these kinds of unhealthy relationships with food. Yeah haha I'd love to move more! I used to run every day, 8-10km. But then I injured myself from overuse lol :l I can't really do much cardio because I have a tendinopathy and jumping sort of movements, cycling, exercises on knees is pretty painful/aggravates it. I try and walk as much as possible because walking doesn't hurt (unless it's for really long time periods). My physio is helping me gradually strengthen my tendon but progress is going backwards at the moment o_o So I'm trying to do 30-45 mins strength training at home (ie. bridges, dumbells - 3kg, crunches, that sort of thing) in the morning. Every morning. I don't think this would make enough of a calorie deficit to track lol. I'm kind of new to this forum so I don't know how to look at people's food diaries haha :s How do you see them!? And does no cheese mean no cottage cheese even?! I love that stuff :p
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to do 30-45 mins strength training at home (ie. bridges, dumbells - 3kg, crunches, that sort of thing) in the morning. Every morning. I don't think this would make enough of a calorie deficit to track lol. I'm kind of new to this forum so I don't know how to look at people's food diaries haha :s How do you see them!? And does no cheese mean no cottage cheese even?! I love that stuff :p
    More strength training is good. Heavier dumbbells would be better. It doesn't burn many calories in the moment, but it is still really good for your joint health. I have soft tissue laxity in my tendons and ligaments, so I have to do lots of strength training. My muscles have to do the work of holding me together. :tongue: I love getting stronger, and I know that doing this exercise helps me preserve lean mass, which preserves my calorie-burning capacity.

Why on earth wouldn't you eat cheese? Especially if you're eating lower-fat cheese? It's a great source of protein. Cottage cheese can be gotten in fat-free, 1% and 2% varieties too, so please, by all means, enjoy the cheese!

Edited to add: To see my diary, click my name over to the left <--, then click on the green button that says Diary. Most people's won't be public, but mine is, so feel free to have a look through. I eat 1800 calories a day, so you won't find help with that part, but if you aren't demanding as much protein as I do (1 gram per pound of body weight, which is admittedly quite high, you could probably safely do 60% of that even if weightlifting as much as I do), you could probably cut down to 1400 calories easily, which is far more reasonable than 1200 calories!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", 28 years old. I maintain around 1750... lose weight around 1500. Do you exercise at all?
    I really don't think you need to be on 1200. Probably more like 1350, depending on how much you weigh... The more weight you have, the more calories you burn.
  • A few tips:

-If you increase your activity level then you can increase your calorie intake a bit. (If your not trying to loose weight you can also increase it)
    - Try to have one protein at every meal so that you stay fuller longer I know you said you don't eat meat except fish, so try to eat fish, beans, tempeh, nuts or other meatless protein alternatives.
    - Look up healthy foods that take longer for the body to digest so that they keep you fuller longer.
    - Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day (Before meals so you feel fuller faster and still have calories to use for snacks in between meals when you feel hungry and drinking water in between meals can help you feel less hungry too.)
    - Eat your calories don't drink them, try to just stick to water and an occasional glass of juice if needed 100% natural fruit juices if possible.
    - Try to stay away from processed foods (breads, junk food, anything deep fried) these tend to be highest in calories and don't give your body the energy or nutrients it needs to stay full or energy to operate at its best.

Hope this helps!
  • CrimsonFlare
    Options
    With regards to over eating in the evenings: I find that I get the munchies when I watch TV and my hands are idle. Try something like crochet, knitting, scrap booking or darning socks to keep your hands busy at night. Type on your computer (start a blog or write a novel) or text a friend ... you can't text/type and eat nachos ;-)

I don't believe it's all bad eating after dinner, so if you really must, try light and healthy snacks ... air-popped popcorn is a winner, so is crudites with fat-free cottage cheese ;-) or a hot cup of herbal tea.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you're truly hungry it's a sign your not eating enough. I plugged your numbers into the BMR calculator at fat2fitradio.com which calculated your BMR (basic cals needed if you were essentially in a coma) at 1350. Lightly active is 1850. Try upping your calories 1500 (lightly active -20%) and see how you feel after a couple weeks.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Its defiantly possible (been sticking to it for 6 months) but if you struggle, then you incorporate exercise i.e. if you have gone over to say 1,400 calories then make sure you burn 200 calories in exercise :)

Its great that you eat healthy but if you are eating too many calories (by eating big portions of say pasta etc) you will still put on weight, however it is no good me giving advise as I do not know how much you weigh already, if you are at a healthy weight then dont go eating 1200 cals, and the best bet is to record how many calories you are eating on a normal day and just cut that back by 500 (say you are eating 2,000 cals, then start eating 1500) you will still loose weight this way rather than dramatically cutting back to 1200, it wont be good for your metabolism in the long run (believe me, I have experienced this)
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you're truly hungry it's a sign your not eating enough. I plugged your numbers into the BMR calculator at fat2fitradio.com which calculated your BMR (basic cals needed if you were essentially in a coma) at 1350. Lightly active is 1850. Try upping your calories 1500 (lightly active -20%) and see how you feel after a couple weeks.

For a 4'11'' female? Try your calculator again because I'm taller and heavier than her and my BMR is 1200.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

No its just a sign that dieting is hard, you do not get a good feeling of a nice meal when your body uses its fat reserves.