New here and already discouraged :(

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to open my log to share. The one thing that I CAN say is that I am sleeping (and feeling) a bit better. I did hear once you hit 40 it's a lot harder to lose. Didn't think it would be THIS hard.

I'm 43 and it isn't THAT bad to lose, I don't think any way. How many calories do you get a day and how many are you eating?

Says a guy. :laugh: Mother Nature does things to the ladies starting around that age that it does not do to you gentlemen.

Well I'm 42 and female not having an issue losing, definitely don't use it as an excuse. Tracking as accurately as possible on what you are consuming and burning. As well as not giving up you will lose the weight.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Deleted - i disagreed with myself reading back!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I struggled and plateaued over and over again at the MFP suggested calories, and then I found this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

There's also a group on here called "Eat More to Weigh Less". You don't have to be hungry - you have to let your body know that you'll be feeding it LOTS of good, healthy food for the rest of your life. I've used this plan, and I've reset my metabolism and my hormone levels...all at 1900-2000 a day, and I look and feel more amazing than I ever have before! :D

Not bad for mid-40s...

Best of luck.
  • Danette73
    Options
    What everyone else said. Weigh your food and make sure that everything that goes in your mouth is accounted for. I looked through your diary and there were a number of things that made me go huh? For example, on one of the days you have 5 slices of some sausage pizza as 300 calories. I can't imagine how tiny those slices would have to be to come in at 60 calories each.

Agree with ^^.... also, I for one will not say I will give up a glass of wine now and then, but the calories on beer, wine and any other alcohol have to be watched.
  • crazeeally
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, give up or call it quits. Try not to think about the scale, weight, inches just how good you feel knowing you've made positive changes in your life and soon you WILL start to see the pay off!!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It took over a month when I restarted to see any drop on the scale. I am hypothyroid so losing weight is not easy. You may want to see your doctor to see if there are any underlying problems.
  • TayTay0629
    Options
    Agree with the posts about really watching what you log. When I first started I was SURE I was logging accurately. :blushing:

I definitely was not. Not only did i miss little things (butter here, mayo there) I wasn't logging appropriate portions either. So I started actually bumping UP my portions that I log to be on the safe side. It comes off slow. Just as slow as it went on. But FINALLY I know how to make the scale go the other way.

Don't give up!!!!
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Five slices of sausage pizza? I must have logged wrong. Hubby brought me a slice home for lunch that day. I just can't see how eating so much healthier than I have been can increase my weight.

Is it true body types or blood types need different diets? I feel like a failure.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Is it true body types or blood types need different diets? I feel like a failure.

Not really, no.
    You just need to make sure you're eating ENOUGH, but less than your TDEE.
  • kanakike8
    kanakike8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on going a month! They say it takes about 21 days to form a new habit. I'll be honest, I've been a member of MFP for several years. But after a few days or a week, I always quit saying "this is way too hard!" Then I try again the following year. Finally about 2 months ago something clicked for me and I've been religious about logging my foods and exercise. I did see a gain the first few weeks, both on the scale and in inches. I was devastated! But I didn't let it discourage me. Like many others who have responded, I began paying more attention to what I was actually putting in my body, including beverages. And I record EVERYTHING! (Even that single peanut M&M I just swiped from the candy bowl at work) I also log a few extra steps by spending the last 5 minutes of my lunch break walking around. Or I'll walk up and down my basement stairs a few times.

I invested in one of those activity bands recently (I bought an Up band, but the Fitbit Flex is very popular) and it has been a great reminder to keep moving. You can also sync it with MFP to track calories burned. I also WEIGH my food using a quality food scale that allows for both ounces and kilograms. I find weighing is much more accurate than using measuring cups and spoons. Eat several small meals throughout the day to keep from getting to hungry and overeating at mealtime. Don't forget to count beverages, sauces, and condiments. If you like to cook, you may want to invest in a great meal planning/low-calorie cookbook.

You're body is getting used to the changes and it may not behave the way you would like. Just Keep going and you'll see the positive changes soon enough. Make sure you are getting your minimum calories each day or your body will go into starvation mode and make sure you drink plenty of water.

Understand you'll have unsuccessful days but forgive yourself and remember that no day is a failure, just a learning experience. And always remember we are here to help.
  • fitcanuck
    Options
    You're not a failure - you're here aren't you?! That's half the battle. :)
    I also peaked at your diary and noticed that there wasn't any exercise tracked - at least for the days i looked at. Are you eating your exercise calories back? If not you could be hitting too low of an overall calorie intake.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel like a failure.

I am in my mid-40s, and my body is definitely reacting differently than it did on other weight loss attempts. I had a really big loss the first week, then gained it back and took a couple of weeks to lose it again. But since then I have lost 1-2 pounds per week. I guess it takes longer to adjust than it used to. Don't give up. Try the modifications that others have suggested, stick with them for at least a month, and then re-evaluate. Good luck!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to open my log to share. The one thing that I CAN say is that I am sleeping (and feeling) a bit better. I did hear once you hit 40 it's a lot harder to lose. Didn't think it would be THIS hard.

I'm 43 and it isn't THAT bad to lose, I don't think any way. How many calories do you get a day and how many are you eating?

Says a guy. :laugh: Mother Nature does things to the ladies starting around that age that it does not do to you gentlemen.

Well I'm 42 and female not having an issue losing, definitely don't use it as an excuse. Tracking as accurately as possible on what you are consuming and burning. As well as not giving up you will lose the weight.

Using it as an excuse would be pointless. The weight still exists, right? Being post menopausal did cause weight loss to be harder for me than prior. Just a fact to be noted. The lower age range for normal menopause starts at about 40. For me it was 42. Didn't stop me from losing 74 pounds in a year, but it took an entire flipping YEAR. Pre meno that amount of weight loss took 6 to 8 months.
  • quiltchickie
    Options
    Thank so all so very much for the encouragement and advice. Guess I will "chew on it" all and just try to move forward (do I need to log that??). ha ha. I certainly do not want to make excuses. Getting older does stink, but not as much as the alternative. What I want is to CHANGE and be a "young mama" who is physically fit enough to have fun with her kiddos. I want so badly to feel good about me. Kinda gets lost when you become a mom - time is always about someone else. I don't want to have to shop for clothing by what is appealing to my 'shape' to hide what is wrong. I want to CHANGE what is wrong.

Thanks again. I will keep trying.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged by the number on the scale...that number can change hourly/daily etc...the true test is how your clothes are fitting. But giving up, after a month, isn't going to give you a true look at how things will go for you. You can do this, just keep working at it :smile:
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think the big thing is to stop looking at it as a race. I have been on here for a year and I've lost 15 pounds. I have a lot more to lose but you know what? That's 15 pounds less than I weighed a year ago. It's 15 pounds I did not GAIN (and the first year I did not end heavier than the last in a long time). And it's 15 lbs that came off without me feeling like I was starving myself.

If you're tracking accurately and eating at a deficit, it will come off. And for most people, it will not come off in a linear fashion. There might be no loss for three or four weeks and then you'll suddenly drop 5 pounds or you'll be up one day and down the next and up again because of salt or your period or whatever.

Chart your weight (looking at the overall trend), measure your body, have one pair of pants you use as another measure (how do they feel, how do they look, are they getting looser) and just adjust to the fact that you have to find a way to do this whole health thing (losing and then maintaining) for the rest of your life, so find what works for you.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would say your logging is way off, you a keystone light beer in there one day for 104 calories, and then on another day 52, you have 5 pieces of sausage pizza at 300 calories for one entry, I would say in that entry alone you are probably 1200 calories off. You just need to be more consistent and accurate with your logging, and you will start to see the difference.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It's your diet. You can't eat that way and expect to lose weight. Look into www.westonaprice.org, www.wellnessmama.com, check out the books "Wheat Belly", "Eat Fat, Lose Fat", these would be good starts.
    Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. :noway:

I only see 11 days of food logging. I had to log for about 30 days or more, honest, comprehensive tracking of weighing everything and logging everything I put into my mouth before I saw any results that went beyond statistical "noise".

I've been doing it for over 80 days now and I'm down 9 pounds. Slow and steady wins the race.

(For the record, I'll be 38 next month.)
  • quiltchickie
    Options
    Baby step: Just ordered myself a FitBit. I'm wondering if my phone is messing with the logging. Because I scan whenever I can, not sure how the same foods are logging differently.

The other thing I may do is start taking a probiotic. My digestion has always been screwy and I wonder if starting to get more regular would help.

Thanks again.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I went about six days back on your log - the calories looks off - too little to be believable for pizza, beer sounds like light beer but not logged as that...And I did not see a single piece of fresh fruit or vegetables...Lots of beer, alcohol, pretzels, mac & cheese and pizza....
    That will be an issue.....Also, if you don't have a food scale, how do you know you are logging correctly?