Calorie Question

Options
Hi guys- so today I had a handful of red hots ( the little cinnimon candy) and I wasn't sure how guilty to feel? I won't be going over my daily colorie limit, but it's candy....I haven't every done a weight loss program that kept a diary like this, it's usually- no sugar, no refined whites, lean protien ect- What are you all's thoughts?
thanks

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    honestly if it was me I wouldnt even count it. Nor would I feel guilty, I eat treats and candy on occasion its not the end of the world. When you get feeling guilty over every little bad thing you eat its going to make it harder to stick to.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I feel weird on this diet lol like I should be depriving myself something...But so far the only thing I have done is cut down on the snacking and cut out soda and I'm still seeing results. Personally I see this lasting much longer than most diets do for me b/c of it.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Saying "none of this and none of that" isn't realistic, and leads to binges when you say "well, I've already broken the rules, so screw it." Being healthy is about balance and not shutting yourself away from the rest of the eating world. Give up that guilt. It never did anything for you, and never helped you lose weight.

The things you said should be followed in a very generall sense, and you should TEND to stick to them more then most will, but it's all about the numbers. Stick to them and watch the weight fall off.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    per answers.com......
    There are 20 red hots per serving and 60 calories per serving, thus 3 calories per red hot.
    you decide if you had a full 20 ct serving whether you want to record it....
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would count them but I wouldn't worry too much about eating something sweet every now and then.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... There should never be a "diet" that says "don't eat this" and 'none of that" because realistically can we eat that way for the rest of our lives, not me !! :noway:

I would count the calories in the red hots adding them to my journal... and maybe skip a high calorie dessert later on! :drinker:
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    just count them and don't dwell on the fact that it was sweets....you are allowed to splurge once in a while!
  • jrsmithne
    jrsmithne Posts: 124
    Options
    Record it and move on...it is unrealistic to think you will never eat any of the junk food that you like. Portion control and moderation is the key.
  • JENN17501
    Options
    to stay honest to yourself, I personally would count them. When you lay your head down at night you want to do it with a clear heart. Don't beat yourself up because you had a little sweet. It was a handful not the whole bag, keep things in perspective, and keep moving toward your goal.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely still count them but don't worry about it! If you only had a handful, don't beat yourself up. Just don't make it a habit because sugar habits are HARD to break (well, any habit is - but a sweet tooth is really easy to attain once you get going). Sugar is the worst thing you want to eat in excess. Just do your best to get most of your sugars from natural sources such as fruit, honey-flavored things or agave nectar, cane sugar, etc. I still eat candy but just try not to eat it too often (although I can get bad about it and keep eating it and that's what I mean about it being easy to make it into a habit).
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    "well, I've already broken the rules, so screw it." .

That is exactly what I do! So frustrating, but I think it's going to be more helpful now keeping track
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think one of the reasons that I like MFP so much is that you have your goals and your numbers but no strict rules. It gives you a real life idea of how much you are consuming and how much you are burning. But you don't have to cut anything out or deprive yourself of those things that you really crave.

MFP just shows you how to cope with real life situations. Don't beat yourself up over a few red hots. Just count them and move on, or do a little more walking.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 chocolate mints most days because they let me feel like I am still "cheating" without killing my calories. I added them to my food diary and count them whenever I feel like eating one. Candy is not horrible for you as long as the rest of your diet is good!