Need to stop replacing food for happiness

Options
Hi all,

Let me start off by saying that I have been trying to lose weight since I first found out how important it is in this society to be thin. It's not just what other people think, though (although that is a major factor). I have spent all of my life working hard in all other aspects of my life to be looked over for my weight. However, no matter how much I want it and no matter how much I try I am constantly bewildered by my own actions. Before I know it I am throwing an amazing days work of exercise and self-control out of the window for a slice of happiness that lasts as long as I can chew.

I have always equated food with happiness and I am finding it incredibly difficult to let it go. Sometimes I am scared that I don't want to lose weight enough and will completely give up. I have never been thin or smaller and I don't know what it's like but I love clothes and would like to stop thinking I can't do things because I am too fat and don't deserve it or something.

If anybody is going through (or has gone through) the same thing and is able to stop feeling this way about food I would love some insight.

Thanks,
Jess

Replies

• cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with different eating disorders from bulimia to binge eating, so I definitely know what its like to relate food to happiness. I would suggest the first thing to do is to seek a counselor, someone who you can talk to and lay it all out in the open. Start to figure out how to deal with your feelings in other ways besides eating. Learn what you are REALLY feeling. Also coming here to track your calories and nutrition is a good step because you can hold yourself accountable for it. I would suggest to log everything you eat for one week to see what you are really eating, and then from there you can make adjustments to your diet and start getting on track. Once you get your diet under control then I would throw in exercise. These are just suggestions that have helped me.
  • papetto
    papetto Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good communities on here for tracking binges and monitoring urges to overeat. Hope that everything goes well for you - use the site and find out which groups you like and I'm sure you will be successful. It isn't easy but you'll get into the swing of things if you keep giving it your best.
  • rawxiehorror
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I'll send you a friend request maybe we can help each other,
  • MommyOfTwo68
    MommyOfTwo68 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel as well! I am a very emotional eater whether it be happy, sad and in between. I try to tell myself food is only fuel for my body but I still over eat often. Today im starting new and want a change in my life. I'm adding you and hopefully we can help each other out! Good luck!!
  • jeshiika
    jeshiika Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everybody for the support, it is incredibly reassuring to see that there are others feeling the same way as me.
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "MIND, MOUTH, MUSCLE. That will help you organize how you'll detox and recover.

MIND: Reclaim your brain. A strong PFC is absolutely required to repair and reclaim your reward center. And you can repair your PFC with transcendental meditation and mindfulness. The key is to practice them daily to stimulate new brain cell formation and to repair damage. When you meditate you cause actual brain changes to help repair and strengthen brain cells.

MOUTH: Get high...naturally. Achieve a natural "high" from whole foods that increase dopamine production naturally. Specific foods--watermelon, spinach, avocados, tofu, and sesame seeds, to name a few--perform magic and reestablish normal reward responses for natural foods. Also, use powerful protein and fiber combinations--carrots and hummus, peanut or almond butter and apple slices, for instance--that satisfy and stop the urge to splurge on sugary/fatty/salty foods.

MUSCLE: Every step you take during the day stimulates brain growth, including your PFC, which translates to a bigger, stronger, more focused brain. And one of the mottos of The Hunger Fix is BIG BRAIN, SMALL WAIST. You'll make smarter decisions and shed extra weight if your brain is healthy. Research has also shown that regular physical activity will also keep you calmer and decrease the chance of relapse. All you need is regular moderate exercise to make this work. Walking is the easiest way to go for most people. Doing it outdoors and stepping up the pace when you can enhances the entire experience and results. I'm not talking marathons here, folks. Just getting up and moving."
    found from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-rodale/6-ways-to-beat-a-food-add_b_2004858.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I'm happy when I eat too. I believe most people are which is why gatherings, occasions, weddings, events, etc. have food that's delicious at them.

You can eat and be happy. Just don't over eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lady8211
    Lady8211 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your not alone! One day at a time!