HIIT training

Options
Hey guys! I am trying out a new class tonight: HIIT training. What is it like? What should I expect? Any idea of how many calories are burned during 45 minutes in this class? What results did you see? Thanks!

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    45min and hiit? does not compute. you're taking an interval class tonight. but it's not a hiit class i'm afraid.
  • tdemiter
    tdemiter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe there's something else involved during the class? Before and/or after? I am not sure, but the schedule says HIIT training for 45 minutes.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It will involve X amount of time going all out on a specific exercise, followed by brief rest. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. You'll likely cycle through a few exercises. You'll probably do a few rounds. You could do the first 20-25 minutes as HIIT, but for true HIIT, you should be completely gassed by then, so likely it will end up being more interval training, as a previous stated. However, it's still intense, and the concept is the same.

edit: It's likely just a name. I have taken a "Tabata" class in the past. It was an hour long. There is no way a person could truly do Tabata for that long. It was more a "Tabata Style" class, much like this is likely an "HIIT Style" class. HIIT is typically 20 minutes or less, I believe.
  • phjorg1
    Options
    Maybe there's something else involved during the class? Before and/or after? I am not sure, but the schedule says HIIT training for 45 minutes.
    then they are using a buzzword to promote something that they don't understand the concept of.

HIIT is actually somewhat well defined. It's ~170% VO2MAX active working phase and low intensity recovery phase. so think literally a full on balls to the wall 100m sprint, then walk back to the start line. repeat. Trying to do this for 45min is a physiological impossibility.

More than likely this is an intervals class where it's basically intense cardio (but still under lactic acid threshold, or close to it) followed by less intense cardio. Which is fine, still sounds like a good course. It's just called the wrong thing. But then HIGH INTENSITY intervals course sounds a lot cooler than average intensity intervals. So congrats, marketing 101.

edit: as to actually answer your question, expect to be completely gassed. since you're training at VO2MAXes than you're not able to sustain for any long period of time. as for results, it's intense cardio, but results won't be much different than any other sort of cardio body wise. But calorie burn should be decently high assuming the recovery phase is still pretty active. It's tough to judge though. a HRM with proper variables would be very helpful for this as there is truly no real way to measure on paper.
  • tdemiter
    Options
    Just called the gym...and the class itself is 20 minutes. But tonight is the first night of "the series" and they are allowing for extra time in the beginning to talk about HIIT and model proper technique while using equipment. The rep said, "Oh no you would die if we did HIIT for 45 minutes." LOL Sound like the 20 minutes will be very intense!
  • tdemiter
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    45min and hiit? does not compute. you're taking an interval class tonight. but it's not a hiit class i'm afraid.

Unless you are doing a 15 min warm up 15-20 min hiits followed by stretching I agree they will have you running ladders on the groung, jump rope, skater lunges etc etc football drills basically
  • tdemiter
    Options

Unless you are doing a 15 min warm up 15-20 min hiits followed by stretching I agree they will have you running ladders on the groung, jump rope, skater lunges etc etc football drills basically

Thanks for the info! I am hoping something new will jump start weight loss. I think I've hit a plateau.
  • phjorg1
    Options

actually very good point. would make sense for warm up to be part of the course.