Wedding guest attire

christina1109
christina1109 Posts: 84
edited September 21 in Chit-Chat
Is it ok to wear black to a fall wedding? It's a lunch time wedding and reception. I HATE going to weddings or formal events, but it's family I haven't seen in years. I have a wine colored dress that I bought for the occasion but don't really like it. Now most of the things I can find or that I like are in black.

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I am, it's more of a cocktail party though since the couple is getting married at the courthouse the week prior. It's actually the dress in my profile picture.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I read you shouldn't wear black or sequins during the daytime.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    I'm going with "no" and I have no idea why.

I'm the MOH for a wedding on Sunday and the bride threw a HUGE sh!tfit when I told her that her sister in law was planning on wearing black. It's a cute dress but the bride was mad. Personally, I don't get it and wouldn't have an issue with it.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    I wore black to a wedding last night- black pencil skirt with a black lace top over a white camisole. Granted her wedding colors were black and hot pink and all the bridesmaids were in black also... but I think it's ok
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    My profile photo is of a wedding I attended this weekend. It was a 5:30 with a sit-down dinner though. A lot of women had on black.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    If you're unsure, ask the bride - especially if you don't know the wedding colors or what type of dress the bridesmaids will wear. Typically the proper etiquette is don't wear something similar to the wedding party or a similar color... black is typically okay if the bride okays it or if there are other colors involved. Black used to be a no-no because it was reserved for mourning and funerals but today, it's not as strict.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    I wore black to an evening wedding on September 11th. I guess if was an afternoon wedding maybe I would have gone with something different. There were plenty of women in black though.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    I say wear whatever you want. Who makes these rules anyway?
  • I say wear whatever you want. Who makes these rules anyway?

I LOVE your reply. :)
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    I say wear it.
  • I think you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in and makes you look good, whether that is black, wine colored, or anything else. ^.^
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    I have worn black to every single wedding I have ever attended. :) go for it!
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Probably depends on the bride... I wouldn't care, but I know some people who would be offended if people wore black to their wedding. My mother-in-law thinks it looks like you're in mourning and don't like the bride/grooms choice of partner, lol! I think black looks classy though and will have no issues if people wear black to my wedding. Plus if that's all you've got I think it's a big ask to have to go and spend money on another outfit purely because of the colour!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    I LOVE WEDDINGS! Seriously, if I didn't have to pay for them and if I could marry the same man over and over I would have a wedding a year.

Black is kind of a nono for a wedding since it is a color worn for mourning. However, now a day’s more people are becoming more lax with this since the LBD is kind of a closet stable. In order to ensure your LBD does not become a LB Drama for the bride or the family accessorize it with color. If you can add a colorful belt. Colorful jewelry or shoes will also work. Just avoid the all black look and you should be fine and look fabulous!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    I thought you could never go wrong with the LBD. Thought it was a "must have" in the closet.
  • I don't own a LBD, never have. The wedding is this Saturday and now I want to change what I was going to wear, but that would mean the purchase of yet, another dress or separates.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    What is the black outfit you have? Could you add color to it to make it work? Don't buy a new outfit, in the words of the reat Tim Gunn, make it work!

ps- very cute profile picture!
  • What is the black outfit you have? Could you add color to it to make it work? Don't buy a new outfit, in the words of the reat Tim Gunn, make it work!

ps- very cute profile picture!

Thank you, that was my wedding day. I don't have a black outfit, I was going to buy a black dress, but have decided not to. I have a wine colored dress that is VERY fitting and I don't know if I'm all that comfortable with my body and how the dress looks on me yet.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 376 Member
    Wear the black! Most of those fashion rules are out of the window anyways now. If you don't want to just wear black, dress it up with color via a scarf, wrap or jewelry. Plus, most brides probably wouldn't notice or care anyways... I didn't notice what anyone was wearing at my wedding--I was kinda in that adrenaline dream state. I probably wouldn't have even have cared a lick if they had shown up in jeans or naked--I was just so happy and busy and enjoying partying with all my family and friends that day! Just try not to look better than the bride. ;-) Haha.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    I don't think its a problem. My best friends wedding all us bridesmaides wore black dresses (that was summer 2 yrs ago) guest at my wedding wore black, but our colors were red, black, and white. (My wedding was very very small, and we did tell the guests that dress didn't matter. We put our wedding together in 2 weeks, we were planning to elope and family made us plan a wedding... I even had a little black dress and had to buy my white one in my photo for family) Personally if the black looks nice on you wear it! I have worn black to weddings and have never been told not to.
This discussion has been closed.