Adjusting clothes

Options
I can't afford to replace all my clothes as they get too big, so I've been getting out the scissors and the sewing machine. But I'm not a skilled dressmaker or tailor so it's a simple case of darts in waistbands, and straight seams.

Anybody else been adjusting their clothes? Any tips or ideas?

PS I'd find it really helpful to talk to people who are more skilled dressmakers and tailors, to get some pointers and advice :smile:

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    lolbot-sewing-machine.jpg

I've actually read that most people would benefit a great deal from buying* clothes just a touch too large so that they can be hand-tailored for the most flattering fit.

Of course I'm way too lazy to be doing that right now, but one day I'd like to have a little sewing room for just such a purpose--as well as mending, quilting, etc.

*ETA for typo
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't adjust/sew my clothing. So hopefully you won't mind my answer being a bit different!

I'm also on a tight-ish budget, so I sell my used (too big) clothes on Craigslist. Selling 3-4 pairs of old jeans for $10 might seem like a bit of a hassle, but it makes it considerably cheaper for me to spend $ on a new pair of jeans than if I didn't score that extra ten.

I know it's not for everyone but I also buy over 50% of my clothes from thrift and secondhand shops, and another 20% or so from outlet and closeout stores. Now more than ever, I see the value in it. Some of the clothing might not be ideal quality but if I'm only wearing it for 3-4 months max, there's no need to buy the best. I'm sure that's different for people in the public eye with professional careers. I just work in the office of a manufacturing plant so it doesn't really matter as long as I feel "cute"! hehe And I still follow trends for my off time, just on a dime.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can get some pretty great stuff from goodwill and other thrift store. Sometimes I find brand new, still with the tags on clothes that people donated. And if you're planning on dropping a significant amount of weight, I'd go that route.

Other bargain places like Target, Ross, Marshall's, etc, might be another good avenue to go. Otherwise get to Pintrest and DIY stuff :)
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Honestly, you can get some pretty great stuff from goodwill and other thrift store. Sometimes I find brand new, still with the tags on clothes that people donated. And if you're planning on dropping a significant amount of weight, I'd go that route.

Other bargain places like Target, Ross, Marshall's, etc, might be another good avenue to go. Otherwise get to Pintrest and DIY stuff :)

Totally agree. I spent a bit of cash on some new red jeans but I pair them with tops, chambray shirts, blazers, etc, all found for under five bucks at thrift shops. The beauty of weight loss (USUALLY) is still being able to use the same shoes, boots, accessories, jewelry, eyewear, bags, etc...that can make a big difference in creating a fashionable and/or luxe appearance IMO!
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wore clothes I had made myself to my 8th grade sewing class. I've done weddings and Ren Faire garb and will be starting my Halloween costume soon. I've renovated coats and dresses and replaced zippers on jeans. Love to sew!

You might be doing this already, but when making alterations, put on the garment inside out. Use straight pins to pin-fit the garment where you'll be sewing the seam (i.e., create the seam with straight pins). This is especially helpful on pants, as you want to know how they will hang when you're done.

You can stitch elastic (or make a "pocket" or casing for it) on a waistband that needs snugged up a bit. I like to do a little on each side rather than a big bunch at the center back.

A lot of this depends on how the garment is assembled. Dealing with linings, zippers and pockets can easily get overwhelming, depending on how professional you want the finished product to look.

If your shirts/blouses are hanging off your shoulders, they can be made to look more fitted just by moving the sleeve further in to the shoulder seam (where the old shoulder pads used to reside) To do it right you'll need to detach the sleeve (seam rippers, yay!) from the very top (where the shoulder seam is) to about midway down front and back, so you don't have to remove the entire sleeve. This can get complicated, depending on how much fullness is in the sleeve, whether there's a yoke, or lining, etc. Pin the sleeve a little farther in than the original seam, and stitch it back on. Experiment on a throwaway FIRST.

Knits (like t-shirts) act differently than wovens.

And seam rippers are our friend!
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    thank God I wear baggy jeans to begin with.....but now they are super baggy haha But in my case a belt works there.

I did notice that 2 suits I have ....both new, I can't wear no more because the swallow me. all that money gone.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I got some deals on e-bay.

I find better deals with I search for lots than individual items.
  • leelxxsh
    leelxxsh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As a college student, I know how you feel.
    My shorts all started fitting like diapers because they were so big. I went to Forever 21 and found 2 really nice pairs for $13.80 each, which really isn't bad. Besides that I've been asking friends if they have old clothes they don't want, or something I can borrow, even if it's just for the day. All my winter pants fit (I gained weight in the spring), and while my shirts are a bit baggy I play it off that I like them that way. That, or I very slowly start swapping clothes out.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    Options
    Fantastic tips - thanks!!
    I wore clothes I had made myself to my 8th grade sewing class. I've done weddings and Ren Faire garb and will be starting my Halloween costume soon. I've renovated coats and dresses and replaced zippers on jeans. Love to sew!

You might be doing this already, but when making alterations, put on the garment inside out. Use straight pins to pin-fit the garment where you'll be sewing the seam (i.e., create the seam with straight pins). This is especially helpful on pants, as you want to know how they will hang when you're done.

You can stitch elastic (or make a "pocket" or casing for it) on a waistband that needs snugged up a bit. I like to do a little on each side rather than a big bunch at the center back.

A lot of this depends on how the garment is assembled. Dealing with linings, zippers and pockets can easily get overwhelming, depending on how professional you want the finished product to look.

If your shirts/blouses are hanging off your shoulders, they can be made to look more fitted just by moving the sleeve further in to the shoulder seam (where the old shoulder pads used to reside) To do it right you'll need to detach the sleeve (seam rippers, yay!) from the very top (where the shoulder seam is) to about midway down front and back, so you don't have to remove the entire sleeve. This can get complicated, depending on how much fullness is in the sleeve, whether there's a yoke, or lining, etc. Pin the sleeve a little farther in than the original seam, and stitch it back on. Experiment on a throwaway FIRST.

Knits (like t-shirts) act differently than wovens.

And seam rippers are our friend!
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've resized about a half-dozen of my tops using a modified version of this process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrvNTsQ03zo

Instead of taking the sleeves off, I simply cut away excess fabric up each side and taper my cut off under the armpit so I leave the short sleeve's cuff untouched. Then I just sew up new seams on each side. I do all my sewing by hand, because I don't have a sewing machine, but I'm extremely pleased with my results, even despite my complete lack of sewing skills and experience.

Pants are proving more of a problem. I've hand-sewn doubled-over seams on both hips to take in the waistline of my pants by about 3-4 inches (and sometimes continuing the new doubled-over seam down the outer leg), but it ultimately leads to baggy crotches and bums, so I clearly haven't really figured the pants problem out yet. Tops are way easier.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I've been hitting GW for interim clothes, and also scan the deeply discounted sales racks at other stores. I also have looked at rummage sales for clothing too. I look for stains, tears, thin spots right there, and if none are present, will get them (I also use this tactic at GW and other stores). And if there's something that I think I can fix (or is in an inconspicuous spot), I'll do a bit of negotiating.

I also am a part of a clothes-shift with a few friends - one friend passes her too big clothes to me, I then pass mine on to another friend or my sister-in-law, who then pass them on to other friends and family. I'm also planning a major women's clothing rummage sale in the spring, to help out myself and my friends/family.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great advice from NextChapter60! I've been sewing my own clothes since I was 8 and learned how in 4-H.

The only thing I would add is to baste your new seams, then try the clothes back on, before you commit to a permanent seam. Basting is easier to tear out if you need to. As an added bonus, it's easier to stitch over basting than straight pins, so, once you have it where you want, the final seam is really easy.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to experiment a little. If the clothes arent' going to be wearable anyway because they're too big, you aren't really out that much.
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do sew a little and quilt much but one little tip I found with my pants or shorts is if they have a button on top, take it off and move it over up to an inch. It makes a big difference if you have lost about 2 to 3 inches in the waste like I have. This doesn't work beyond an inch because the zipper will want to come down I have found. I also love GW and just went to a baptism and was asked by more than one person where I got my cute top and it was GW.... I can always afford GW:))))
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have found that in this situation, my mother is invaluable! :love:

ETA: She sews.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I got some deals on e-bay.

I find better deals with I search for lots than individual items.

Makes sense. I sell a lot of my clothes on craigslist and I'll ask $5 for a single pair of trousers but will happily post 6-7 articles of clothing for one $10 price.
  • ddunk
    ddunk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just bought a couple pair of suspenders to wear with my suits. I know it is not cool to wear them and a belt but as long as I have a jacket on no one knows. Also then I don’t have to wear my belt so tight to hold up my too big pants.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: great post, great responses! tagged for later :flowerforyou:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I go to thrift stores to buy a lot of my clothes as I am still losing. You'd be amazed at the stuff you can find and for CHEAP.
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thank God I wear baggy jeans to begin with.....but now they are super baggy haha But in my case a belt works there.

I did notice that 2 suits I have ....both new, I can't wear no more because the swallow me. all that money gone.

Take them in aned have them tailored. Dep on where you got them they might even do it for free at least the first time.
    Suits are made to be tailored. ;-)