off topic: breast cancer visibility versus prostate cancer

Options
my dad died of prostate cancer in may after a 2-year battle. it is a 'cause' close to my heart.

today i walked for 'race for the cure' for breast cancer. it is crazy the difference in publicity each cancer gets. 1 in 3 men get prostate cancer and 1 in 8 women get breast cancer, yet breast cancer research gets more funding from congress. why is that?
when i came home, i saw the nfl is wearing pink for breast cancer (which is awesome!!) but a friend on facebook posed this question to me:
"The NFL is decked out in pink today for breast cancer awareness month - from the players' shoes, to their socks, to their towels, to their chin straps, to their gloves, to the refs, and the cheerleaders' pom poms. Why didn't prostate cancer awareness month (September) get the same kind of exposure?"
i have been thinking about this all day. the prostate cancer run i did in september had maybe 1,000 people at it and the race i did today had more that 55,000. what is prostate cancer missing? how does prostate cancer get the same recognition and financing as breast cancer? if you support the susan g komen foundation, how come? and what would make you support prostate cancer too? :)

i hope you'll take the time to reply even though this has nothing to do with weight loss. thanks!
dawn

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My dad is suffering from prostate cancer right now. The Milwaukee Brewers entire season was dedicated to prostate cancer awareness & raising monies for it.

Maybe it's because women are more willing to talk about and discuss breast cancer, whereas the men don't want to discuss prostate cancer? I'm just not sure.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. You have a valid point, though about the visibility.

I once read an article on like CNN.com or something about the same issue. Why Breast Cancer? Why does it get so much attention? Some guy in a forum was making some lame, idiotic comment and a woman responded with (and this is NOT verbatim but you'll get the gist) "Because a woman put forth the effort to get it out there and make people aware. If men had half the dedication to fight their own cause that women do, maybe there would be more of a hoopla around other types of cancers." It's the short version but what she said was oh so true.

I read a short article about the story of Susan G. Komen. This all came about because of a sister's love and a promise that she made to her dying sister. I actually want to read the book! But Susan made her sister, Nancy, promise her that she wouldn't let other people die the way she did. That other people would not have to go through it the way she did. That people would be more informed and that maybe there would be more hope. And Nancy made good on that promise.

I'll be participating in the Race for the Cure on 10/16 in Dallas and I am proud to be a part of that.
  • KariNich85
    Options
    I said the same thing today while watching the games.. 'I wonder why they don't do anything for prostate cancer' and it may just be how these others have said.. most men are not out there trying to get funding and exposure for it while women are and they also have the Susan G. Komen Foundation.. i think the men need a foundation willing to put forth the exposure.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    clarissa - i am sorry to hear about your dad. i will keep him/you in my prayers. baseball is so much better about promoting prostate cancer awareness, especially on father's day! i heart baseball. actually though, the national hockey league is pretty good about it too. hmmm... you would think with professional sport being so predominantly male, that they would care more about getting the word out about male-related health issues... especially since men are the least likely to visit the doctor, least likely to be insured and least likely to undergo voluntary exams.

lisa-marie - i heard nancy and susan's story too and it is so touching. it seems strange that there is not 'personal' face to prostate cancer. my dad was only 58 when he died and most of my friends were shocked that prostate cancer kills (also that someone so 'young' could get it). very true about women being more proactive about finding ways to help each other, while men don't (funny because aren't they supposed to be the problem-solvers?). there are currently over a dozen federal programs and offices of women's health in the federal government, branches of the armed services, state legislatures, etc, but no office for men's health (although a bill is in progress). women's health has made great strides because women help other women. good for you for doing the 'race for the cure' later this month. i am proud to do it as well.

karinich85 - even if someone does found a prostate cancer foundation, prostate cancer branding and walks and merchandise are a dozen (or more) years behind. obviously, the people in charge of the susan g komen foundation are brilliant at publicity and branding! it takes a lot of passion and dedication work hard all year long to keep breast cancer in the spotlight. i would love to see prostate cancer have that too.

thanks for your replies ladies!!! i hope some more people view this topic and chime in!
    dawn
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    only 50 views? *bump*
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer.

http://www.raceforlife.org/Community.aspx

One thing about the pictures on this page, Race for Life is one of the biggest events regarding cancer in the UK, I flicked through a great deal of those photos and am struck at just how few men are in them.

That's said I just looked at the application for next year:

https://www.raceforlife.org/secure/register/step_02.asp

check the drop down for "title"

Why are men excluded? Not discouraged, Excluded... I lost my grandma to Breast Cancer when I was 6 years old, yet It doesn't appear I'd be welcome to raise money for the cause, I did look into a few of these events and it seems to be a common thing. I find that really odd, I know Breast cancer is a female orientated disease but guess what? Men DO get it too (although it's extremely rare).

http://breakthrough.org.uk/breast_cancer/breast_awareness/male_breast_cancer.html?gclid=CNvc-b-1uaQCFdD92AodgjnLgA

It's all a bit confusing.

It feels like that if that is going to be the case for breast cancer then Men should be pushing prostate cancer and raising for that, however you hear more about testicular cancer. Cancer awareness is one of the oddest topics about health you could care to look up...
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dawn, I'm so sorry for your loss. My Dad was diagnosed July 28, 2009 (a week after his 55th birthday). It had been in check until the week before my daughter finished her leukemia treatment (July 3, 2010), when his PSA started to rise again. It was pretty stressful having to deal with my daughter's treatments and my dad treatments at the same time. I find it interesting that Prostate Cancer Awareness month is the same month as Childhood Cancer Awareness month.

In listening to my Dad talk, he knew he was having issues for quite awhile, but was too embarrassed to go to the doctor to do anything about it. He waited until he couldn't walk anymore. The tumor metastasized from his prostate and into his spine. Which is frustrating knowing that this all could have EASILY been prevented with a simple test when he was having his first problems going to the bathroom.

Stevie, I cannot believe men are excluded from Race for Life. Men are just as affected by breast cancer as women, the can lose a loved one, or they can also get it themselves.
  • inforsey
    inforsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In most major Canadian cities, we have a 10 k run and a 5 k walk called "The Underwear Affair" - to "Bring Awareness to Down There-Ness". People of all walks of life run or walk in their undies and it is hugely successful. It targets all cancers that are "below the waist", including prostate. It is not as successful as the Run for the Cure (the Canadian Breast Cancer Run), but every year a new city signs up for the Underwear Affair. This year in Alberta, both of our major cities are participating whereas before it was just one. It has a very major corporate sponsor, which I think helps.

I don't know what the solution is to raising awareness about the different kinds of cancer. Unfortunately, it helps to have a celebrity to attach to the variety of cancer as then its more person.... I am sorry about your father. I hope there is no more cancer of any sort very shortly.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss - any death from cancer is a tragedy.

I think some of the push comes from what DIDN"T happen years ago. Breast cancer at one time wasn't even studied in women, only men. Women were finding many types of inequalities that angered them and they decided to act. Maybe the pendulum will start to swing the other way.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    100 views. whoo! let's keep this topic alive and hit 1,000.

stevie - that is awful that you can't participate. the race for the cure last weekend had tons of guys walking - several of them were wearing skirt or tu-tus and it was so great to see them there. breast cancer affects men just like prostate cancer affects women. that is so short-sighted of them to exclude men.

clarissa - wow! you have a lot on your plate girl! i can so relate to much of what you are saying. my husband, boys and i did a walk for the leukemia and lymphoma society last thursday called 'light the night'. if you have never done one, i suggest you do. they are so powerful and moving! i am so glad your daughter completed her last treatment. my husband's best friend and the best man in our wedding had leukemia as a child and still goes once a year to mayo clinic for testing. my husband's grandpa dided on labor day from acute leukemia after finding out only 10 days beforehand. it is a dreadful thing to have to deal with and i am sorry that your family is struggling with it. :( if you want to read more about the journey i took with my dad's cancer, you can read my blog at www.thanks-and-praise.blogspot.com. there is not a lot there (i only post once a month and sometimes i just couldn't talk about it), but maybe you will be able to relate to some of it. the first post about it is in april or may 2008. he found out he had prostate cancer in june or july of 2007 and did treatment, but it had metastisized by easter, not even one year later. his was very aggressive. one thing you might want to have your dad look into is a trail study for an osteoporosis drug that helps strengthen the bones and retard the growth of the metastic cancer. that gave us an extra 6-9 months with our dad. hugs.

inforsey - that is so cool! i love that name! it sounds like great fun and i am going to suggest that to some of the race sponsors down here in the usa and see if we can get something going.

lkm - that is a really good point. thanks for stopping by!
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    here are some things i found interesting about breast and prostate cancer. did you know:

september was prostate cancer awareness month and october is breast cancer awareness month?

prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and is the second leading cause of cancer death in american men (behind only lung cancer) causing about 11% of cancer-related deaths?
    breast cancer is the most common cancer among women and is the second leading cause of death in american women (behind only lung cancer)?

when compared with all causes of death in men over age 45, prostate cancer ranks fifth?
    when compared to all causes of cancer death in women over age 45, breast cancer ranks fifth?

1 man in 36 (around 32,050 men) will die of prostate cancer this year and 5-year survival rate after it has metastasized is 30.2%?
    1 woman in 35 (around 39,840 women) will die breast cancer this year and 5-year survival rate after it has metastasized is 23.4%?

there is a 17% chance of being diagnosed with prostate cancer over a man's lifetime?
    there is a 13% chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer over a woman's lifetime?

prostate cancer research receives less than half of the funding breast cancer does ($399 million compared to $891 million)?

did you know that breast cancer incidence rates decrease by about 2% per year while prostate cancer increase each year?

so when you are donating to the susan g komen foundation for breast cancer this month, please consider donating to prostate cancer as well. prostate cancer is to men what breast cancer is to women.
    http://www.pcf.org/site/c.leJRIROrEpH/b.5699537/k.BEF4/Home.htm
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about it too. maybe its b/c women are more comfortable talking about it. I really don't know. I'm getting into and studying the marathon culture and there are run/walks all the time for anything you can think of, yet Race for the Cure gets the most attention. whoever is on their marketing team really knows what they're doing.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I heard something along the same lines...that the reason why Breast Cancer gets more attention than Prostate Cancer is because women mobilize more when it comes to issues like this and because we tend to discuss these issues more than men [medical issues].

I had 2 uncles die of Prostate Cancer and I know how horrible it can be. We have very few events to raise money for this cancer and it's a shame. Maybe as women we need to "mobilize" action on this somehow. After all, it kills the men we love - fathers, brothers, husbands, sons...et al.
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer.

http://www.raceforlife.org/Community.aspx

One thing about the pictures on this page, Race for Life is one of the biggest events regarding cancer in the UK, I flicked through a great deal of those photos and am struck at just how few men are in them.

That's said I just looked at the application for next year:

https://www.raceforlife.org/secure/register/step_02.asp

check the drop down for "title"

Why are men excluded? Not discouraged, Excluded... I lost my grandma to Breast Cancer when I was 6 years old, yet It doesn't appear I'd be welcome to raise money for the cause, I did look into a few of these events and it seems to be a common thing. I find that really odd, I know Breast cancer is a female orientated disease but guess what? Men DO get it too (although it's extremely rare).

http://breakthrough.org.uk/breast_cancer/breast_awareness/male_breast_cancer.html?gclid=CNvc-b-1uaQCFdD92AodgjnLgA

It's all a bit confusing.

It feels like that if that is going to be the case for breast cancer then Men should be pushing prostate cancer and raising for that, however you hear more about testicular cancer. Cancer awareness is one of the oddest topics about health you could care to look up...

Did you know that men can join in the moonwalk marathon? You do have to wear a bra but you can join in ;)!!

Sorry to hear of people's losses. It makes me very sad . In this country we had a comedian called Bob Monkhouse who died from prostate cancer. It was his wish that awareness be raised and so there was an advertising campaign, but sadly you don't see it much anymore xxx
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Great topic! This year my husband and I both did the Komen Race, both of us for the first time. When I had first moved here, I had wanted to do it and was out of town that weekend. Fast forward 6 years and I was finally in town and my work had a team so I did it! However, in that 6 years, my personal feelings toward the Komen fund/Breast Cancer awareness have become a bit resentfull.

I believe it is an incredibly worthwhile cause, and fortunately I do not know anyone that has been affected by this disease, but when everything you buy/see/hear/touch/walk past is pink--and not just in October, starting mid September to whenever--you start to feel cynical about how many people/companies actually support the cause and how many are just cashing in on people buying their pink products.

I am also someone who wants a personal reason for doing any fundraising, so I find it harder to get behind the "cure" when it is (in the words of my husband) the popular girl in high school cause.

I really hope I am not coming across as uncaring or unfeeling for those who have battled breast cancer, but to relate to the OP, my grandfather passed away from lung cancer. Even the American Lung Association doesn't give great coverage to this cancer! Yes, in many instances (including my grandpa's) it is "self caused" through smoking, but it didn't make it any easier to watch him wither away or lose the ability to even breath.

I think the point I want to make is that there are soooo many awful diseases out there and whether it is the gender who is affected (how about heart disease--a HUGE male and female problem), the lack of a "face" to attach, or just the marketing team, it will take conversations like this, and people wanting to create awareness to really get the ball moving. And I continue to hope/believe that if we find a cure for one cancer, we will be on the fast track for many other if not all cancers. So lets get out there and do it!
  • SabrinaM85
    Options
    I remember doing a walk for Prostate cancer several years ago. But I cant recall anything going on locally in recent years. Every race or walk I see is always for Breast Cancer. I generally don't make it to events that are outside of my area. My best friend lives in Tampa, every weekend her and her co-workers (teachers) go to some race/walk even in their area. But there again, I can't remember her telling me any of them were for Prostate cancer.

There is a major cancer center in Tampa so I don't know why there would not be something for Prostate, but I will be on the look out. I believe it is something that is equally as important, it just does not get the same recognition. That is unfortunate.

You are doing a great thing by speading awareness. And I believe your father is very proud. God Bless.
  • crazy4him4552
    Options
    Thank you so much for giving us this information. Cancer is a dreaded thing. My father died in 1995 from Malignant Melanoma, and it shook my world. Cancer knows no boundries. It is horrible, and affects us all in some form or fashion. Whether it be a family member who has it, a friend, or our personal self. I agree, we all need to be aware of the different types of cancer, and it would be great to get support and financing for research for all types.

We need to be educated about the types of cancers there are, and takes steps in preventing them from happening to us. Knowledge is very important.

I'm so glad you brought this to our attention, and I will be praying that your advocacy will open the eyes and hearts for many to get involved.

God Bless
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I read your post and never thought about the recognition of one over the other.
    Most interesting and I hope the MFP's who read this and are involved in this
    will carry one. I am deeply sorry for your loss.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    *bump*

150 views. thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. i'm too tired to respond tonight but i will in the morning.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    After all, it kills the men we love - fathers, brothers, husbands, sons...et al.

i agree! as a women, i would like to see a decrease in both cancers. if men are to reticent to speak out about it, then the women that love them need to. :)