Sugar

Options
I have more sugar than I should on a daily basis, though a lot of it comes from fruit. Does anyone know if from a diet perspective if sugars from fruits are just as bad/ if they can even be included as the same type of sugar?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have more sugar than I should on a daily basis, though a lot of it comes from fruit. Does anyone know if from a diet perspective if sugars from fruits are just as bad/ if they can even be included as the same type of sugar?

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, I wouldn't worry about sugar esp if you are in a caloric deficit
  • perkinkf
    Options
    I asked a dietitian that I work with. She said that as long as your calories in is lower than your calories out you will lose weight. As long as your sugars are not coming from soda or other processed foods its ok.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, I wouldn't worry about sugar esp if you are in a caloric deficit

^^^This, according to a dietician I saw a few times.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    That stress me out when I first start... then thought I may not be hitting the MFP goal for sugar, but I'm still doing a heck of a lot better than I was before I got here. So it's all relative..
    I was formerly of the "Sugar is Sugar" camp, then saw a video (sorry don't have the link) that talked about how fruit sugars comes in a neatly package with fiber, which helps your body process it better.

I'm taking that video with a grain of salt, though until I can do more research...
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people talking about it reducing bloat around the stomach. I'm not sure how true that is, but when I cut sugar way down I noticed a difference in the way I looked. But as long as your sugar isn't way over I wouldn't stress it a whole lot.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That stress me out when I first start... then thought I may not be hitting the MFP goal for sugar, but I'm still doing a heck of a lot better than I was before I got here. So it's all relative..

Same here. For me, it's the one macro I go into the red on more than others...but I adjust it in my mind, so going over by 10g is not a big deal and going over by 52g means slow your roll w/ the sugar! ;-)
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Same here. For me, it's the one macro I go into the red on more than others...but I adjust it in my mind, so going over by 10g is not a big deal and going over by 52g means slow your roll w/ the sugar! ;-)

Sugar isn't a MACRO
  • dozier512
    dozier512 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Something seems wrong when I am eating 1 banana and 1 apple each day and that accounts for 95% of my sugar intake for the day. Are there any other fruits that anyone can suggest that are just as tasty but without all the sugar in them?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes or some other medical condition, you do not have to worry about your sugar.

Sugar from fruit and sugar from soda or a snickers bar are processed the same way (hence ultra marathons offering mountain dew at aid stations).

Eat at a moderate deficit. Hit your macros. Exercise. Weight loss is difficult enough without over-complicating it.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are really low in sugar. I eat a lot of those (also because I love them). I think blackberries and blueberries have similar numbers.