No Carb Meals

Options
13»

Replies

• mdev1
    mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You must mean 'LOW carbs' not 'NO carbs'. You will, over time, die without ANY carbs. Eat good carbs (broccoli, iceberg lettuce, green beans, asparagus) but keep it under 20-30 net carbs per day (the Atkins induction strategy). Net carbs are the grams of carbs minus the grams of fiber in the food. For example, 1 cup of broccoli is 4.5g of carbs but it has 3g of fiber so the net is 1.5g of net carbs. You could eat a big steak and 3 cups of broccoli (a lot of broccoli) for only 4.5g of net carbs.

This assumes you are trying to kick start ketosis by going on a low carb diet. It will take about a week or two for that to happen and you will probably feel the effects, like being dizzy and weak, while your body depletes all of the glucose in your system. Once that happens, your body will switch to ketosis to use fat as it's primary fuel source for glucose (to keep you alive). You must keep your sugar intake low (which is oversimplified by saying net-carbs) so the ketones are constantly being produced to utilize your fat.

Good foods to have handy are chicken (pre-cook a bunch and cut it up into 1 ounce servings), ham (the other chicken), pork chops which are all relatively inexpensive per lb. Various chicken sausage is good and you can also chow on bacon (pork not turkey) and things of that nature as well. Fat intake is less important to worry about on these kinds of diets.

For snacks, make sure to eat things like peanuts (legumes) and tree nuts (if you can). Certain kinds of snack treats, like turkey slim jims, while not completely healthy, are low in carbs and serve a purpose of filling you between meals with little impact to your blood sugar. Certain forms of steak jerky (avoid the ones like Teriyaki because of the sugar) are also great to snack on but can be expensive if not purchased in a bulk manner. Also getting cottage cheese (about 5g of carb in 1% per cup), is a good way to supplement a meal and get needed nutrients. Take regular cheese (swiss, cheddar), and cut it into easy to portion cubes (i.e., 10 cubes is 1 oz) so it's handy to grab for a mid-meal snack or after dinner snack. Celery is also a great snack and is filling but with low net carbs (0.8g per large stick). When eaten with a regular hummus, you will get much needed nutrients as well as protein for relatively low net carbs. Be careful of diet versions of hummus and the like, because they usually contain more carbs rather than less.

Finally, fish and shrimp are great sources of protein, with low calories and fat, but can be more expensive. Again, if you can buy a 2lb frozen bag of shrimp at a wholesaler, like Costco or Sam's Club, you can make a huge meal with 6-8 ounces of shrimp and a ton of broccoli. Using a low-carb, low-fat, caesar dressing (i.e., Ken's Lite), and shredded cheese, you can also have a big bowl of Caesar salad to go along with your meal for about 5 net carbs.

Best of luck!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist and doctor have me on a strict diet- 70-80 gms of protein, 30-50 gms of carbs, 20-30 gms of fat, and 700-900 calories a day. Keeping a low carb count is not impossible and it also helps to journal everything. I found the cheese sticks really good for snacks as well as sugar free jellos and puddings. Lots of certain veggies and low fat cheeses, water and lean meat like turkey will fill you up. I am a junk food junkie and lost 10 pounds in 4 days. Virtually everything has carbs.
    This is the site I've been using:

http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes

Sugar free jello has around 17-19 carbs per tiny container... just sayin

Ummmm.....WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG.:noway:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A no carb diet is virtually impossible, is it not?. I guess you just eat chicken all the time? lol
    Or steak or pork or alligator tail.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist and doctor have me on a strict diet- 70-80 gms of protein, 30-50 gms of carbs, 20-30 gms of fat, and 700-900 calories a day. Keeping a low carb count is not impossible and it also helps to journal everything. I found the cheese sticks really good for snacks as well as sugar free jellos and puddings. Lots of certain veggies and low fat cheeses, water and lean meat like turkey will fill you up. I am a junk food junkie and lost 10 pounds in 4 days. Virtually everything has carbs.

Sugar free jello has around 17-19 carbs per tiny container... just sayin

Ummmm.....WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG.:noway:

OTHANKGOD. :indifferent:
    I just can't take another nutritional rug pulled out from under me :laugh:
    It's just about the only sweet I can have :sad:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A no carb diet is virtually impossible, is it not?. I guess you just eat chicken all the time? lol
    Or steak or pork or alligator tail.

Touche :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    vegetables are mostly carbs. i can't imagine your doctor would tell you not to eat vegetables. you need to question your doc or find a new one.
  • twhitaker2
    Options
    I had a gastric sleeve three years ago and hit a plateau. It's the standard diet for bariatric patients. This will help me lose the remaining weight and then go into my maintenance phase.
  • insertcoinshere
    insertcoinshere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You must mean 'LOW carbs' not 'NO carbs'. You will, over time, die without ANY carbs. Eat good carbs (broccoli, iceberg lettuce, green beans, asparagus) but keep it under 20-30 net carbs per day (the Atkins induction strategy). Net carbs are the grams of carbs minus the grams of fiber in the food. For example, 1 cup of broccoli is 4.5g of carbs but it has 3g of fiber so the net is 1.5g of net carbs. You could eat a big steak and 3 cups of broccoli (a lot of broccoli) for only 4.5g of net carbs.

This assumes you are trying to kick start ketosis by going on a low carb diet. It will take about a week or two for that to happen and you will probably feel the effects, like being dizzy and weak, while your body depletes all of the glucose in your system. Once that happens, your body will switch to ketosis to use fat as it's primary fuel source for glucose (to keep you alive). You must keep your sugar intake low (which is oversimplified by saying net-carbs) so the ketones are constantly being produced to utilize your fat.

Good foods to have handy are chicken (pre-cook a bunch and cut it up into 1 ounce servings), ham (the other chicken), pork chops which are all relatively inexpensive per lb. Various chicken sausage is good and you can also chow on bacon (pork not turkey) and things of that nature as well. Fat intake is less important to worry about on these kinds of diets.

For snacks, make sure to eat things like peanuts (legumes) and tree nuts (if you can). Certain kinds of snack treats, like turkey slim jims, while not completely healthy, are low in carbs and serve a purpose of filling you between meals with little impact to your blood sugar. Certain forms of steak jerky (avoid the ones like Teriyaki because of the sugar) are also great to snack on but can be expensive if not purchased in a bulk manner. Also getting cottage cheese (about 5g of carb in 1% per cup), is a good way to supplement a meal and get needed nutrients. Take regular cheese (swiss, cheddar), and cut it into easy to portion cubes (i.e., 10 cubes is 1 oz) so it's handy to grab for a mid-meal snack or after dinner snack. Celery is also a great snack and is filling but with low net carbs (0.8g per large stick). When eaten with a regular hummus, you will get much needed nutrients as well as protein for relatively low net carbs. Be careful of diet versions of hummus and the like, because they usually contain more carbs rather than less.

Finally, fish and shrimp are great sources of protein, with low calories and fat, but can be more expensive. Again, if you can buy a 2lb frozen bag of shrimp at a wholesaler, like Costco or Sam's Club, you can make a huge meal with 6-8 ounces of shrimp and a ton of broccoli. Using a low-carb, low-fat, caesar dressing (i.e., Ken's Lite), and shredded cheese, you can also have a big bowl of Caesar salad to go along with your meal for about 5 net carbs.

Best of luck!

:heart: :love: :heart:
  • mdev1
    mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you want something sweet, try Atkins diet bars available at Walmart for about 1.50 each (sold in packs of 5 or 6). They have very few net carbs and are very sweet. Some, like the Cinnamon Bun Bar, are like desert, are 170 cals with 3 net carbs.
  • lindakeigher
    Options
    Did you doctor tell you if you were refrain from eating "Simple or Complex Carbs"?

Things like candy, syrups, and soda pop are also straightforward examples of simple carbs. They are absorbed quickly -- just think how fast sugar-based candy melts in your mouth.

Simple carbs also include foods such as fruit and milk. These are better sources of simple carbs because they contain vitamins and fiber, and also important nutrients that your body needs, like calcium.

Complex carbohydrates are also known as starches and are made of three or more linked sugars. Grains such as bread, pasta, oatmeal and rice are complex carbs, as well as some vegetables like broccoli, corn legumes such as kidney beans and chick peas. They take the longest to digest.

If you are lactose intolerant then simple carbs might be hard to digest. Usually complex carb are more of problem for weight can seeing how these foods take longer to pass through the digestive tract.

Good luck to you.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Only 700-900 calories a day??! I would get new doctor.

And if I was only eating 700-900 calories a day, I wouldn't be loading up on cheese and pudding...just saying

• cl_green
    Options

Best of luck!

Thank you!
  • cl_green
    Options
    If you want something sweet, try Atkins diet bars available at Walmart for about 1.50 each (sold in packs of 5 or 6). They have very few net carbs and are very sweet. Some, like the Cinnamon Bun Bar, are like desert, are 170 cals with 3 net carbs.

Thank you. I've been doing this since the 9th and I've lost 12.6 lbs so far. I'm super excited and feel good! I haven't wanted to eat anything sweet, but feel the craving so I found I can eat cool whip with raspberries.
  • kmariew25
    Options
    Sugar free jello has ZERO carbs. Not sure what you're eating, but I make sugar free jello all the time for my low carb diet. It's a life saver when I'm craving something sweet.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

that is what I was thinking. meat. meat. meat. And a complete lack of essential vitamins and nutrients from vegetables and fruits. I can suggest LOW carb but not NO carb.

yeah, carbs are in the much needed veg and fruits. I think it pretty much limits you to only eat lean meats. maybe he means no simple carbs. here are some definitions for you:
    Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are organic compounds in tissues or food that can be broken down to be one of the main sources of energy for humans or animals. Classified as simple or complex, carbohydrates are mainly starches and sugars.
    •Simple carbohydrates consist of only one or two sugars and include foods such as white flour and fructose.
    •Complex carbohydrates consist of three or more sugars and they are fiber-rich.

Consuming carbohydrates is important to ensuring the body has what it needs to operate at peak performance.

Here are some examples of the reasons to consume complex carbohydrates rather than their simple counterparts:
    •Keep the body fueled for an extended period of time

Reaching for simple carbohydrates may be a quick way to fill your stomach or to fulfill a craving, but the simple sugars are quick to digest, allowing hunger to quickly return.

Complex carbohydrates take a longer time to digest and therefore are key to fulfilling hunger as well as providing a long lasting source of energy.
    •Digest Better

Because complex carbohydrates often have lots of fiber, consuming them bulks up stool allowing it to move more smoothly through the digestive tract. When this occurs, less bloating and gas exist, constipation can be improved, and more toxins are removed from the body.
    •Lose Weight

Eating complex carbs helps you to feel full faster and for a longer period of time. As a result, cravings are lessened and the need to reach for unhealthy snacks between planned meals is diminished. Instead of reaching for a simple carbohydrate, snacking on complex carbohydrates or building them into your meals is an easy way to stay on track with your weight loss or maintenance goals.
    •Keep Your Heart Healthy

A diet rich in vegetables has been proven to lower LDL cholesterol and help prevent against angina and heart attack by lowering blood pressure. These complex carbohydrates can help to keep your heart healthy. Whole grains and legumes also help to protect the heart by lowering cardiovascular and coronary heart disease risk as well.

I took this from the web. I suggest you do more research into this. It never hurts to gather all the education and information out there on nutrition. Good luck.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    This DASH thing is what I try to do ... I had no idea it was something special :P It was my way of eating clean.
    the dash diet actually has a balanced load of carbs, it is not carb free as seems to be the case on these boards.

9runwk.jpg
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options

that is what I was thinking. meat. meat. meat. And a complete lack of essential vitamins and nutrients from vegetables and fruits. I can suggest LOW carb but not NO carb.

you might want to do some research because even some veggies and fruit have carbs.
  • KarinHanson
    Options
    ^ Was thinking the same thing! ;) Plus, if someone actually had NO carbs, they'd be in a world of hurt. Your brain needs a low level of carbs to even function (yep, medical fact), nevermind the rest of the things people have already mentioned. So, if this person was in fact 100lbs skinnier within 3mos, they'd likely be in a hospital with some major issues. :( Not worth harming your body. Thinking long term is a better approach.