Will running get easier

Options

Replies

• CarolElaine25
    Options
    Chiming in on using a C25K app to help with running. I'm using the Zombies, Run! 5k app (https://www.zombiesrungame.com/), which is great. It's got a story line - which keeps me motivated - and the training sessions (or missions) are very doable for someone who is not a natural runner and who has a few physical issues. Definitely challenging, but not overwhelming. I highly recommend it.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    It does get easier. But it takes longer than a month. Just think, if your body is going from very little cardio activity to running/jogging three times a week a month isn't that much time for it to improve. Keep going and it does get better. In the meantime, here are some tips:

- Go slow. If you're unable to carry on a small conversation, slow down.
    - Keep your head up and look out down the road, don't stare at the ground.
    - Keep your arms pumping forward, not side to side. This will help propel you.
    - Make sure you're in the right running shoes! Go to a Fleet Feet or TrackShack if need be to be properly fitted.
    - Keep your chest up and try to keep your hips and knees aligned under you. Looks funny but works much better than leaning over trying to drudge forward.

Also, I will say this. I run 2:1's. Which means I run for 2 minutes and walk for 1 minute. This method has given me my personal bests on my 5k races even though I'm walking part of the time. Try it for youself. You might also want to try this warm up. It's long but it's very effective:

Walk for 5 minutes.
    Run for 30 seconds and walk for 30 seconds for a total of 5 minutes.
    Run for 1 minutes, walk for 1 minute.
    Run for 1 minute 30 seconds, walk for 1 minute.
    Then begin running or run/walking. and then cool down by walking for 10 minutes.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    No.

You just get better at it!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I've been running at least 3 times a week for the past month. I tend to run different routes with different amounts of time but on average Im doing 15-22 minutes.
    Obviously some days are easier than others but I doesn't feel like its getting any easier as a whole. Surely I should be able to run a bit further and a faster by now? And with a bit more ease?

It does get easier. And should be noticeably easier after a month. Are you doing this ad hoc, or with a plan you can track your progress with? In my experience, a "Couch to..." or "Learn to..." defined program helped immensely. And if you have a smartphone, using something like Strava or MapMyRun will give you concrete, detailed performance tracking.

And to re-iterate - yes, after a month you should certainly be feeling improvement.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes running does get easier it just does not happen overnight. What I do now is run 6 times a week not for time necessary but for more endurance and I just run a 5K / 3.1 miles. So your time will get faster as your run more just its never as quick as some of us would like. As Mazmatez already said in her reply running is a head game. You have to get into the mindset that you’re at least ok with running not hating it every time you go out to run. I have the idea I don't mind it because I know it’s good more me and helps me lose weight. I have lost over 12 pounds since I got here to my deployment zone about a month and a half ago. Feel free to add me if you would like
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would respectfully disagree that it gets easier.

What it does, however, is go from I-hate-this-so-much-why-do-I-do-this-to-myself difficult to I-love-pushing-myself-and-the-feeling-of-being-fit-and-fast difficult.

I started Couch to 5K June 19.

I hated the first three weeks.

HATED IT.

There were times I wanted to quit but I stuck with it long enough to turn the corner, that place where your cardio fitness has improved enough to make runs about 10 per cent physical and 90 per cent mental.

I ran my first 5K six weeks after starting the program.

I ran my first 10K three days later (I can run 5K, let's see if I can do 10 was my thought process).

I ran my first 15K five days after that.

I ran my first non-race half marathon (in the pouring rain no less) two weeks later.

Add to that bike rides of 24, 28, 32, 58, 100 and 111K in between runs and I've been able to drop 20 pounds in 3 months.

I'm here to tell you if I could do it as an overweight, out-of-shape 41-year-old with a bad back and knees, anyone can.

Oh, and it turns out my back and knees were fine. They just didn't like carrying around 20 extra pounds.

This was me before I started my new lifestyle.

971797_10153164723490174_1316709571_n.jpg

This is me after finishing my first 21.1 in 2:28.

1186676_10153224419290174_2128751710_n.jpg
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So I've been running at least 3 times a week for the past month. I tend to run different routes with different amounts of time but on average Im doing 15-22 minutes.
    Obviously some days are easier than others but I doesn't feel like its getting any easier as a whole. Surely I should be able to run a bit further and a faster by now? And with a bit more ease?

By the way, if you're running to loose weight too, please add me :)

It definitely gets easier when you make it easier for yourself!

By that I'm suggesting you slow down a little bit so your'e not struggling so much?

If you are 'serious' about running, then it might be an idea to get fitted running shoes from a running store, and following a c25k plan.

Eating at a HEALTHY deficit combined with running will really boost your weight loss goals!

Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    By "get easier", I mean "still feel like **** during and afterwards, but covering more distance for the same level of misery". :)

That'll be there until you get to the point that you're running for maintenance of fitness, rather than improvement of fitness.

I ran my first 5K six weeks after starting the program.

Ditto. And that was starting from scratch - I couldn't run the initial one-minute intervals in week one without feeling like I wanted to hurl.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie runner, and yes, it does get easier. I recommend C25K http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Eating at a HEALTHY deficit combined with running will really boost your weight loss goals!

I like that you added the HEALTHY part.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Running definitely gets easier. I just started my second time through C25K to work on speed. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is breathing, you need to focus on your breathing for running to get easier. In for # of strides, out for # + 1 strides, preferably in through the nose and out through the mouth.

I breath in for 3 strides out for 4 strides. As soon as my breathing gets messed up I start having problems and need to regroup.

I am currently working on conquering a 5k trail near my house before the end of fall, at least all but one hill because I do have a very bad knee. Plus I love the endorphin high.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am VERY much overweight. I started out only being able to walk at about 1.8 mph on a treadmill several weeks ago. Now I am to the point where I can do a good jog for about 2 and a half minutes at about 3.0+ speed and my walking is up to 2.6.

I'm hoping I continue to improve and look forward to starting and sticking with the C25K program by next month. As with any exercise though, I think there should still be some sort of challenge to it, whether it be improving distance or timing.

The important thing is to have patience.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    only if you keep doing it!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just finished the c25k program and I frankly thought it got harder after week 6. I haven't had a good run since! Lots of talking myself into not quitting. I'm hoping to round the corner though :)

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/easy-going-first-run

One of my friends' friends posted this on her wall today and I like it enough to share it. Gives me motivation to keep plugging away in hopes that I will get to experience this for myself!
  • cwsikes
    Options
    It does get easier unless you start trying to go harder/faster/longer, but yes it will get easier. You also have to notice though that cardio endurance does not happen overnight or even over a few weeks or a few months. It takes YEARS to develop a good running base and that's with consistent running.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What it does, however, is go from I-hate-this-so-much-why-do-I-do-this-to-myself difficult to I-love-pushing-myself-and-the-feeling-of-being-fit-and-fast difficult.

This! :)
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would respectfully disagree that it gets easier.

This!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It won't get easier, you will just get better at it! Stick to it! you got it!
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with running. THere are moments in a run that I will love and moments I hate. I have been running for 4 years now and I have done 4-5 km runs that have kicked my butt the entire time and 15 km runs that I have never felt tired the whole time. Red meat seems to really bring me down when running, so I never eat red meet the night before a run any longer than 7 km.

Joining a learn to run group taught me to run (I did the running room program). The great thing about that is once per week in a clinic you get a talk or seminar - experts in nutrition to other excercises to stretching. That helped me to learn about my body and what works for me. The first 5 mins are always the hardest. I always do a 2-3 minute fast walk warmup too - it gets your blood pumpuing and you dont feel like you are having a cold start.

I will say, of any exercise routine I have ever done, I never have felt more rewarded on a personal level than when I became a "runner".