Maintaining after so long...

I'm not there yet (my goal weight), but I've been thinking ahead...

When I make it, how do I maintain it? After eating 1400 calories for so long, how do you up those? That's a big change. That's adding another meal in calories. Any tips?

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'm not there yet (my goal weight), but I've been thinking ahead...

When I make it, how do I maintain it? After eating 1400 calories for so long, how do you up those? That's a big change. That's adding another meal in calories. Any tips?
    I've been on maintenance since May 2012. My only tip is pretty simple. I added calories gradually.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    It was hard for me to change into Maintenance mode. It's a big change to lose weight, and a big change to maintain it! I started off slow(doing this weekly). I started by adding an extra 150-200 calories daily for a week, then would add an extra 50 to that to make 250, and so on. Slowly making the adjustments gave my body time to adjust, and avoid and weight gain, etc.

Congrats on being so close to your goal and thinking ahead!!
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    This is very helpful -- I've been wondering the same thing. I'm getting close to goal. But I've yo-yoed my entire adult life. I don't think I know how to do maintenance!

If anyone else has some advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I keep reading that it is harder to maintain than lose. The biggest problem is people go back to old habits - that's why people yo yo.

Things that research say help are maintaining a very narrow acceptable weight range and going back to a deficit if you get out of it, exercising an hour a day, and continued logging at your new higher calorie goal.

My big change for maintenance was getting a fitbit so I am more accurate in my net calories (I am not a gym person - I just walk, so the steps really help me). I really push myself to hit that 10,000 step goal every day.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Staying active is a big key to maintaing the weight loss as well as any amount of muscle tone.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    I'm really new at this and so far what I'm doing is eating TDEE - 10% plus all my exercise calories. I seem to be up and down a few pounds, but I started a little too low, that's the truth. I had trouble putting the breaks on and stopping the deficit, so I needed to gain back a little bit.

I found the easiest thing to do was to start eating all my exercise calories. That's gotten me used to eating more. I also went up 50 calories at a time until I got to TDEE-10%. I seem to be holding steady now. We'll see. I was afraid, but then realized that if I gain too much, I'll simply go back to a deficit for a week.

I'm enjoying eating all this food so much, that I've started exercising a lot more, too. ;) Maintenance is kind of fun that way. Lots of energy to do the exercises, and then lots of calories to eat up. And round and round it goes. :) As long as I don't get lazy, I'll be fine. Or rather, on my lazy days, I hope I can manage to exert self control to limit my calorie intake.

I would love a fitbit, btw. Such a great way to be accurate on those exercise calories.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Been able to maintain for 2 + years now by sticking with new habits and steering clear of old bad habits. it was kind of weird at first but now....I can do it without even thinking about it.

Yes, I admit freely that I still have a day or two of overindulgence every now and then but then I get back into maintenance calorie mode with a small deficit for a couple of days.

I still exercise. I still log. I keep a to a 3 pound over goal weight range. So far so good.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    I am slowly adding some calories at weekends, getting to my goal. I was afraid of it, have tio admit:)
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    This is a great question! I'm really far away from my goal still, but I think about maintenance mode often because this time around, I want to be able to keep it off and keep the good habits. MFP assigns me 1600 calories a day. If I get to a weight that takes me out of the obese category, my TDEE would then be approximately the same as I'm eating right now on MFP. So if I continued to eat 1600 permanently, wouldn't I eventually just maintain my goal weight since the calories would be my TDEE?

Or, at some point, will MFP need to adjust my daily calories to less than 1600 so I continue to lose, and then maintenance would be back to 1600?
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Staying active is a big key to maintaining the weight loss as well as any amount of muscle tone.

This is definitely true, and adding calories back gradually. You'll find a sweet spot.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    This is a great question! I'm really far away from my goal still, but I think about maintenance mode often because this time around, I want to be able to keep it off and keep the good habits. MFP assigns me 1600 calories a day. If I get to a weight that takes me out of the obese category, my TDEE would then be approximately the same as I'm eating right now on MFP. So if I continued to eat 1600 permanently, wouldn't I eventually just maintain my goal weight since the calories would be my TDEE?

Or, at some point, will MFP need to adjust my daily calories to less than 1600 so I continue to lose, and then maintenance would be back to 1600?

I'm not really sure what you mean, it's too early in the morning for me. But what I wanted to mention is that when you lose weight, you need to recalculate your TDEE. The thinner you are, the less cals your body needs to maintain. You maybe know that, but I wasn't sure by what you wrote here.
  • Brainless64
    Brainless64 Posts: 27 Member
    The previous poster is at 1600 to loose at their present weight, but that would be their TDEE once they reach Goal due to needing fewer caloreis when thinner.

Sadly unless your very active the mythical oft quoted 2000 calorie requirement for maintenence in the modern woman (2500 for a man) is a myth.

Probably the reason so many of us are overweight, if we use that as a guide, as that would equate to overeating 400 kcals a day for the poster which would put on roughly 0.8lbs a week (not enough to notice), but over 40lb a year!

That may account for the yo-yoing I have done for most of my life. I had put on 62lb since 2009, so not being a pig just on average overeating by 4520 cals a month/1043 a week/149 a day (that's a doorstep of bread, large banana, two large Apples etc).

So you can see how little is the difference between maintaining and gaining, and actually a brisk 30 - 45 minute walk every day over what we now tend to do (so blame the car) would cover it.
  • This is just my personal opinion, but i personally would rather fluctuate then maintaining at the same level.
    when i first started loosing weight march 2012 i was 112kgs, i got all the way down to 73 kgs September. now im currently 86.

i guess its all personal preference, but as about people have said i would do it gradually.

but also as others have said, its a good idea for general wellbeing and health, to stay active and that will bring your TDEE up higher.

just my 2 cents
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Been in maintenance for 2 weeks shy of a year now... I started adding in calories slowly the first week, adjusted up 100 calories a day and then check my weight for the week and continued this approach until my weight stabilized. But nothing else has changed. I still workout the same amount just eating more to maintain my weight is it for me..... Best of Luck
  • Thanks everyone! Very helpful. :)
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    I don't intend to up mine. I am doing fine and intend to make this a life long routine.