It finally hit me yesterday....

Options
I've been trying to figure out why I've been gaining & losing the same few pounds the past month or so and I think I finally figured out what the problem is yesterday. I've been eating salami sandwiches for lunch almost daily for lunch at work. My wife got the salami from the deli at the grocery store so I was using the NI from the database since I had found the specific name of the salami in the database. My wife went to a different store yesterday and got some pre packaged salami. The database must have been wrong because this salami was about 3 times as high in calories per serving from what I have been figuring. Lesson learned...don't always go by just the database when figuring calories.

Replies

• Processed meat is also very high in salt, which may be making you retain water,
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    How much salami are you eating that it's making that much difference? I think I'd be doing more searching than that for the issue.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    How much salami are you eating that it's making that much difference? I think I'd be doing more searching than that for the issue.

I think the larger point may be that just trusting the mfp database without double checking can have a significant impact on the entire day's calories.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    definitely.. always try to get the name and exact cut of the meats you buy from the deli.. they usually have the full thing in the display there or will tell you the exact name of the product.. ya know like 95% fat free or sodium blah blah.. kinda deal.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I think the larger point may be that just trusting the mfp database without double checking can have a significant impact on the entire day's calories.

Yep. Database is a minefield. Easy to see how people could be hundreds of calories off every day.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    On a previous post I was given some advice on changing some other habits which I am doing. Thanks for the replies though! This is just one more thing I thought of that may have thrown a wrench in my progress the past month.
  • forthehungergames
    Options
    Processed meat is also very high in salt, which may be making you retain water,
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yep. Database is a minefield. Easy to see how people could be hundreds of calories off every day.

This ^^ I was just on another thread where everyone was saying how quickly they could log their calories, but I don't see how anyone does it quickly with dozen of entries for the same foods, all with differing calories/nutrients for the same size serving.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow, glad you figured it out.
    What about doing your own sandwich at home? That way you know exactly what is in the Sandwich and besides nothing like having something freshly prepared at home.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Different brands have different recipes, so they have different calorie counts. Just be wise brand Y has more calories than brand X, doesn't mean brand X's calorie count is wrong. Especially when it comes to things like sausages. And yes people, salami is a type of sausage (since I know somebody will say something lol.)