How can I stay under 1200 calories w/out being so hungry?

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    So you're new here. How bout some generic tips in general. Some of these apply directly:

here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!! Listen to this guy.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

I think this is a great synopsis, but question: How is MFP dishing out 1200 calorie targets? It's got me at 1640 and I weigh 264 and have it set at sedentary male age 43.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Too little calories, no kidding you are hungry.
  • dawndovell
    dawndovell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Give your body what it needs if you want it to do what you expect of it.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm barely eating and working my body out and I'm so hungry... Gee I wonder why?

Don't worry so much about eating less, I eat more/ move more and still losing at least 1lb a week. You can easily add a couple hundred more calories to your diet and reap the benefits of weight loss.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you are not eating enough?
  • jazzerciseN
    Options
    I eat 1200 as my base calories. If I work out, I eat back the calories I burned to net at least 1200. To combat hunger, I find that if I cycle my calories I do best (and lose more consistently). For instance, two days in a row I'll eat 1200. Then 1700. Then back down. Also, eat more proteins and veggies. If you try to eat too many carbs, you won't be able to eat as much "filling" food. If you eat 1200 calories of lean meat, eggs, oatmeal, and veggies, you'll be able to eat plenty to feel full all day. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't know why 1200 is the magical MFP number. It's far too low for most people to maintain without compromising muscle mass and health. We are large organisms by nature (say compared to an amoeba, or even a cat) and it takes a lot to fuel our bodies. I recommend raising your daily intake.

1200 is the "magical" number on MFP because so many people in ridiculously aggressive weight loss goals. Granted there are a few people (very petite, older) who will fall here .... but the "number" way too common. Weight loss is not a one size fits all.

OP - eat some of your exercise calories ... after all that is how MFP is designed. Not eating enough .... compromises muscle mass like poster above already pointed out.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I think this is a great synopsis, but question: How is MFP dishing out 1200 calorie targets? It's got me at 1640 and I weigh 264 and have it set at sedentary male age 43.

...because it's just a calculator. Unfortunately, it allows people to put in unrealistic goals. I've asked the developers to change how the signup / account creation works, but no response to the thread. Oh wells.
  • aleXXXXlopez
    Options
    Water, & lots of protein & veggies.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If your MFP goal is set at 1200, you need to be eating that many PLUS eating back your exercise calories. That is why when you add exercise in MFP, it raises your daily calorie goal. Eat more protein, fiber, green leafy veggies, sweet potatoes, lean proteins like fish, chicken, turkey, eggs for breakfast, greek yogurt, fresh fruit... nuts, legumes... you can check out my diary if you want some ideas. Also maybe set your weight loss goals lower instead of 2 lbs a week set it to 1 lbs a week... you kinda have to experiment to get it right. & Do not forget to drink water. I usually have 10-12 glasses of water a day.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry you are not eating enough. Listen to your body. 1200 calories is way to low.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

MFP calculates estimated daily calorie needs (without including exercise) and then it subtracts a flat amount of calories based on how many calories per week you say you want to lose. But it will not go below 1,200 calories as a minimum. So, anyone whose calorie needs are 2200 or less who choose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week" is going to get 1200 as an answer. This isn't appropriate for most people, they just chose the wrong setting.
  • aishah313
    Options
    I got a notepad and wrote down all the tips I was given. I'm going to check out the scooby website, drink more water and buy more nutrious foods. Thanks for all the advice. Oh yea, I'm going to also try lowering my weekly weight loss goal to see if that will take my daily calorie intake up. I will be checking back in to let you guys know the outcome. See you in 5 lbs!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I started on 1200 calories for about a month and was starving. I was losing over a pound a week. I finally went up to 1500 calories. I still lost over a pound a week, but I wasn't hungry anymore. I would recommend you up your calories.
  • rochellewilson70
    Options
    THIS is awesome info. Thank you!

So you're new here. How bout some generic tips in general. Some of these apply directly:

here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I'm staying under 1200 calories, I'm starving. What am I doing wrong?

As others have said, the answer to your question is that you're staying under 1200 calories. And 1200 is too low for most people. Also, your calorie goal is just that, a GOAL, something to strive for, attain, reach, not a number to fall well short of. I don't know how far under you've been staying, but the constant hunger you describe should be telling you that whatever you're doing isn't working for ya.

Trog's advice on the first page here is good stuff - which is why it's been quoted several times. MFP is a wonderful tool, but it's only as good as the realistic info you give it, so make sure your weight loss goals are correct, not too aggressive, and be in it for the long haul.

Eat your calories, exercise, drink water, get good rest, repeat. Log everything you eat, log your exercise, be as accurate as possible. It works! :smile:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Listen to Trog and Amy. They know what they're talking about. It's great advice.
  • LifeEternal
    LifeEternal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sleep more, lol lol, but in all seriousness unless you want to be around 120 pounds, you could up it to 1500 but throw in 300 cals worth of excercise to bring the net total into balance.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    When I'm staying under 1200 calories, I'm starving. What am I doing wrong?

trying to stay under 1200 calories

Yup. Eat! You aren't being punished for anything....stop being mean to your body!