Too much sugar?

Options
How much attention do you pay to the nutrient breakdowns from MFP? I find that I go over my sugar recommendation by a LOT every day, but many times that's due to the amount of fruit I eat. I make fruit smoothies in the morning about every other day, and because of the fruit and juice in them (I use Northland dark juices for their antioxidants) I can easily end up at or over my daily sugar recommendation before lunch. I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of my sugars are unprocessed, and I want to feel it's OK to go over as long as it's not with ice cream and soda. Thoughts?

Replies

• dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tend to ignore the sugars in fruit, veg and dairy but try to limit what I eat in other foods especially sweets, baked goods et cetera. Basically I try to avoid processed foods but that is not to say that I don't have a cookie or something sweet from time to time, I have been on my weight loss journey for 4 years and have to balance the optimal against what I can live with. Its the big picture that counts!
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I do the same
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I customized my settings to protien, carbs, fiber, fat and iron. These are what I want to keep track of. I don't worry about sugar, I just try to stay within my carbs.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I customized my settings to protien, carbs, fiber, fat and iron. These are what I want to keep track of. I don't worry about sugar, I just try to stay within my carbs.

I didn't even know that was an option. Very helpful, thank you!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Customize macros. Yeah, I don't need to do sugars - only really diabetics should keep really careful eyes on it, plus MFP doesn't differentiate from fruit sugar or processed sugar.
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sentiments above. Cut out your processed sugars, and don't worry about your naturally occurring fruit and vegetable sugars. If the sugar comes with fiber, you're usually good to go (within moderation).