Is too little sodium a bad thing?

Options
I just ran a nutrition report and realized I've fallen below the sodium line most of the days on this lifestyle (only 7 of my 40 days were over). I know too much sodium is bad for you, but is too little also bad?

Is an average of 1888 mg/day even considered low against the 2500 that MFP recommends for me for my daily goal?

If it's not necessarily unhealthy, should I be concerned that my loss of 10 pounds is less about weight loss than water loss (assuming I'm making a correct assumption that sodium and water retention are related)?

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I think about 1500 mg is needed to replenish what is lost. Don't worry about the extra weight loss. If it's sodium related it will normalize.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The RDA for sodium was lowered to 1500 mcg a year or two ago. You are eating more than you need!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes, too little is dangerous - but you're not eating too little, so don't worry about it.

I get headaches when my sodium is too low. Instant or regular miso soup is a nice, low-cal way to add more sodium if you need it.

ETA: My endocrinologist is the one who figured out the source of my headaches and recommended the soup.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add my agreement to the earlier responses.

With the proviso that I'm not a doctor and am only passing along what I've learned from what I believe to be credible sources (e.g., my own health care providers, government and academic websites, Mayo Clinic website), and that everybody is different and it's possible you might have a greater need than the average person for sodium, I would say that that 2500 microgram /day figure should be thought of as a ceiling you're trying to stay under, not as a "goal" you're trying to reach.

Yes, too little sodium is a bad thing (it can lead to seizures or failure of the heart and other organs, but my impression is that it happens not so often from consuming too little sodium in the first place as from drinking too much water, especially when exercising/sweating -- sweat carries sodium out of the body -- and thus diluting the sodium in your body). And for most people, "too little" is substantially less than the 1800 you say you're getting. Recommendations for people who have high blood pressure seem to be no more than 1500 a day, so 1800 doesn't seem a number that should cause you to worry.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    headaches, muscle cramps and can possibly pass out from low blood presure
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The absolute minimum of sodium a body needs daily is only 500mg. Which you can get from a couple slices of bread. Low sodium intake usually isn't a problem. Not unless you have some outstanding medical issue. Then you should consult your physician.

The recommendation is no more than 2300mg per day. 1500mg if you're over 50, African-American, or having hypertension.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think the last thing you should have to worry about is too little Na, it's added to fricking everything. If you don't have enough, you will be the first to know! :bigsmile:
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    1800 mg per day is fine. Once you start dropping too low, you not only have to deal with sodium deficiency, but with iodine deficiency, electrolyte imbalance and a bunch of other stuff.

Granted, this is borderline impossible on an American diet.
  • stone_jason
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very insightful posts.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    2500 is the max i think, 1800 is def a good amount , our bodies need sodium too
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are very efficient at using sodium. How much you need can vary by lifestyle, climate, height, etc., but 1888 is more than enough for most people.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    in a normal, healthy adult, too little sodium is unlikely to cause major problems, especially as many people consume more sodium than they think. i have to keep mine in check as i have Diabetes Insipidus which means that my body doesn't retain salt too well or sometimes medication can alter the plasma osmolality. when my blood sodium/electrolyte levels are low i feel pretty rough - lethargic, headache, weak muscles, fatigue......its not very nice.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread as I realised that I am probably waaay under the sodium intake mfp suggests (2300 mg).
    Today, I've not even consumed 400 mg of sodium, and I know that it won't be much more on other days. I almost never add salt to anything and I don't consume fast food/ready meals which are usually quite high in sodium. Also, I drink a lot of water, I guess about 4 litres a day minimum.
    Could this be a reason for my constantly being cold, having very low blood pressure, and getting headaches when working out at an intense heart rate?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread as I realised that I am probably waaay under the sodium intake mfp suggests (2300 mg).
    Today, I've not even consumed 400 mg of sodium, and I know that it won't be much more on other days. I almost never add salt to anything and I don't consume fast food/ready meals which are usually quite high in sodium. Also, I drink a lot of water, I guess about 4 litres a day minimum.
    Could this be a reason for my constantly being cold, having very low blood pressure, and getting headaches when working out at an intense heart rate?

The 2300 is the maximum amount one should eat (based on medical guidelines). Having low blood sodium can be very dangerous, even deadly. But low dietary sodium and low blood sodium are not the same thing.

It is not common for people not taking medications that affect blood sodium to have low blood sodium, but I would suggest having your physician do a blood test if you are concerned.