Palpitations

Options
So I have a general question because I just recently began experiencing some chest pressure. It started on Friday. I felt my heart flutter and then it began to beat pretty fast. I'm not sure why, I have no health issues or stress but the pressure stayed with me until I went to sleep. I didn't work out that day as usual because of the pressure. The next morning (Saturday) I was fine, so I did an 80 minute circuit workout and walked 5.35 miles later on in the day. Sunday, started out okay I did an early morning walk (5 miles) however the pressure feeling came back and stayed with me and is still here. I work at a hospital so I decided to go to the ER to be checked out. Everything came back fine, EKG, Chest X-ray, Blood, etc. The physician let me know she's waiting to see what my thyroid says but that everything else looked fine and released me.

I am trying not to think about it, however I still feel the pressure. When I asked my physician about it, she said it could be stress. I don't know what is wrong. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take a break from exercise for awhile. Perhaps I am over doing it.

Anyone go through anything similar or have any advice?

I'd really appreciate it... thanks.

Replies

• CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get palpitations some times. To some degree- they are normal; a lot of people have some variation. If you doctor has run tests and isn't concerned then it may not be a huge deal. It feels like my heart keeps skipping beats for me, literally stopping and pausing before continuing- its really uncomfortable and can steal my breath.

Best advice I have ever gotten and it worked for me -- hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and try to increase your iron levels. My iron number tends to be on the low side of normal but never low enough to flag for treatment. I change my diet a bit when it starts, add a supplement recommended by my doc. It isnt related to exercise for me, but low water and iron can be a trigger.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I can only relate my own experience, but I get heart palpitations when I try to exercise while dehydrated. Sometimes I'll get them if I don't warm up properly either, but in that case they'll normally only happen if I get from like dead-stop sitting all-day to straight up sprint.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! The feeling is more annoying than anything especially since being told everything looks fine. I appreciate you all sharing your experiences.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, it happens.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, I think mine is caused by very low blood pressure and am waiting on my blood work and the result of an ECG to come back. The doctor also said to me it could be stress but I am waiting to find out. I started taking iron tablets too and home to feel better soon.... Hope you get to the bottom of it - take care.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The pressure could be stress induced in a sense that maybe you are holding your breath, your diaphragm is tightened up and squeezing on the esophagus. It could be gas, I get this a LOT. And I too have issues like that when I am tired, dehydrated and overdoing it. The "flutter" could be esophageal spasms or gas & maybe that's causing a bit of anxiety which would result in palpitations (racing heart beat to those who don't know what that means). If your lab tests came back ok then notch it up to nothing more than a weird thing that happened.

Hope you are feeling better :flowerforyou:
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So I have a general question because I just recently began experiencing some chest pressure. It started on Friday. I felt my heart flutter and then it began to beat pretty fast. I'm not sure why, I have no health issues or stress but the pressure stayed with me until I went to sleep. I didn't work out that day as usual because of the pressure. The next morning (Saturday) I was fine, so I did an 80 minute circuit workout and walked 5.35 miles later on in the day. Sunday, started out okay I did an early morning walk (5 miles) however the pressure feeling came back and stayed with me and is still here. I work at a hospital so I decided to go to the ER to be checked out. Everything came back fine, EKG, Chest X-ray, Blood, etc. The physician let me know she's waiting to see what my thyroid says but that everything else looked fine and released me.

I am trying not to think about it, however I still feel the pressure. When I asked my physician about it, she said it could be stress. I don't know what is wrong. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take a break from exercise for awhile. Perhaps I am over doing it.

Anyone go through anything similar or have any advice?

I'd really appreciate it... thanks.

I have had these symptoms when I take fish oil. Apparently, a small minority have this problem.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If its palpitations you can try reducing or eliminating caffeine products.
    Take 400 mg of magnesium citrate a day.
    Try rescue remedy spray.
    All these things have helped me tremendously.
    Also make sure you're drinking enough water as others have said.

If its really pressure, perhaps a stress test is in order.
    Pressure and palpitations are 2 different symptoms.

ETA-exercise is great for the heart so if everything is fine, don't stop exercising but of course, no need to overdo.

Also I changed calcium to magnesium (my mistake)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, I think mine is caused by very low blood pressure and am waiting on my blood work and the result of an ECG to come back. The doctor also said to me it could be stress but I am waiting to find out. I started taking iron tablets too and home to feel better soon.... Hope you get to the bottom of it - take care.

My blood pressure is low also but the physician informed me not to worry, it is only like that because I'm in good shape. I think iron may help. I used to have low iron years ago during my pregnancy.

• DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    If its palpitations you can try reducing or eliminating caffeine products.
    Take 400 mg of magnesium citrate a day.
    Try rescue remedy spray.
    All these things have helped me tremendously.
    Also make sure you're drinking enough water as others have said.

If its really pressure, perhaps a stress test is in order.
    Pressure and palpitations are 2 different symptoms.

ETA-exercise is great for the heart so if everything is fine, don't stop exercising but of course, no need to overdo.

Also I changed calcium to magnesium (my mistake)

My co-workers suggested this, at least for awhile since I do have two cups every morning. Thanks so much for the recommendations. I greatly appreciate them:flowerforyou:
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    The pressure could be stress induced in a sense that maybe you are holding your breath, your diaphragm is tightened up and squeezing on the esophagus. It could be gas, I get this a LOT. And I too have issues like that when I am tired, dehydrated and overdoing it. The "flutter" could be esophageal spasms or gas & maybe that's causing a bit of anxiety which would result in palpitations (racing heart beat to those who don't know what that means). If your lab tests came back ok then notch it up to nothing more than a weird thing that happened.

Hope you are feeling better :flowerforyou:

Thanks.... I'm hanging in there!:flowerforyou:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Their are so many reasons for this so I'm glad you went to the Dr. For me it's an electro misfire that speeds it up. I had an ablation but it didn't work. I finally found a medication that worked but I hate pills and Dr said that long term it will cause no damage to my heart. Mine started in my mid 20's, went away for years, came back when I was pregnant with my second child, went away for years, came back & is now gone again:laugh: I'm not going to try and diagnose you, I'll leave that to the MD's, just wanted to put your mind at ease that it could be many things (took 3 diagnoses till they figured me out) but all that I was diagnosed with were not life threatening. Hope they figure it out soon because your right...They are SUPER annoying!
  • RangiRose
    Options
    could it be Super ventricular tracycardia ? heart palpatations?.. I have this ,my heart races full speed and once it did it for 8 hours.
    Its not dangerous unless it goes undiagnosed and treated,the trick is to get a ECG while it happening or it doesnt show on the graph.
    Basically faulty heart electrics that click-in anytime in life thru extreme exercise,caffine,cold/flu over the counter meds etc
    If it comes back with a strong beat-get a ECG asap to have it accurately diagnosed. best of luck...
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I get palpitations also & chest tightness & pain but I've also been having heart related issues since Nov of last year (b4 I started exercising). I had finally got it pretty well under control but now that I've been working out every day I get them again... Usually they start when I've been over-doing it & it takes a day or 2 of rest 2 get it 2 stop... My advice would be to take it a lil easier... Exercise is good 4 the heart but if there is some underlying condition that just hasn't been found yet u don't want 2 over-do it... My Dr told me just walk 30 mins per day & told me NOT 2 over-do it... Guess jogging is just out of the question 4 me at this point... Hope u get 2 feeling btr...
  • barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    could it be Super ventricular tracycardia ? heart palpatations?.. I have this ,my heart races full speed and once it did it for 8 hours.
    Its not dangerous unless it goes undiagnosed and treated,the trick is to get a ECG while it happening or it doesnt show on the graph.
    Basically faulty heart electrics that click-in anytime in life thru extreme exercise,caffine,cold/flu over the counter meds etc
    If it comes back with a strong beat-get a ECG asap to have it accurately diagnosed. best of luck...

I have SVT too, unmedicated for now. I find sucking an ice cube helps (as recommended by my heart nurse). Stress and tiredness are the biggest triggers. Chill!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I remember having palpitations of the heart and also a racing heart when I suffered with severe depression. The damn thing used to jump around like a monkey in a sack. Which just made me more frightened and anxious....

My (untested) explanation is that it was due to the excess adrenaline hanging around. When I got better - it stopped. Not my heart - the palpitations. Just wanted to clear that up.
  • RangiRose
    Options
    thaks for the ice-cube advice-will try that for sure...
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It could be anything. Electrolyte imbalance & dehydration is one..

Track it to see correlations, and bring that back to your GP. A one-off EKG probably wouldn't catch it, you'd need to wear a harness for a few days (and that might not catch it). (Your doc could also, if they had reason, order a stress test.)

Personally I would take it easy peasy for a while, & limit exercise to just walking.

(am not in anything medical, a family member had to go through these kinds of investigations)
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

SVT can be very dangerous; whenever your heart beats faster it's not pumping as much. This can lead to passing out (although not commonly, it can happen). SVT itself isn't fatal, but if you passed out while driving or something you could definitely die.

As far as the ice cube thing, it's a vagal maneuver. There's various ways to slow your heart down by using vagal maneuvers. If you have SVT you probably know of some of them. This is why sometimes people pass out while taking a massive poop.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    They can be a sign of anxiety which is not always accompanied or caused by stress! They can also happen as a reaction to certain medications (decongestant, for example, causes them in a lot of people). They can also be a symptom of very or chronically low blood sugar.