why can't I lose just a few lbs?

Options
Need help, I've looked online but kinder confused. I've just got this app and have been logging in my food diary and doing regular exercise I feel there's been no change. I'm really petite just over 5" and a size 8-10 but want to loose a few lbs and tone up. I've been told to have 1200 calories a day but most days have been around 800-900 calories by the end of the day. I even go jogging but still can't shift the muffin top! Any tips, so fed up!

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Drink more water
    Eat more food, especially if your trying to achieve muscle tone.
  • camm1969
    camm1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, you don't say how long you've been doing this for...... I've been on this website now since last Monday, so 8 days. I had 2 bad days though where I went over my calorie allowance but not too much so I was disappointed when I weighed myself today. But then later on I took my measurements & I was over the moon, I'd lost an inch each from my hips & waist & half an inch from my thighs! I couldn't believe it. A lot of people on here say if you're exercising as well don't always go by what the scales say, take measurements, & now I see they're right. I only wanna lose about 10 pounds & as I said I've been dieting for 8 days now & walking everyday burning at least 250 calories & it's working. I eat 1200 calories per day. So get the tape measure out :)
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Need help, I've looked online but kinder confused. I've just got this app and have been logging in my food diary and doing regular exercise I feel there's been no change. I'm really petite just over 5" and a size 8-10 but want to loose a few lbs and tone up. I've been told to have 1200 calories a day but most days have been around 800-900 calories by the end of the day. I even go jogging but still can't shift the muffin top! Any tips, so fed up!

You'll definitely lose weight at 800-900 calories a day, but it's not going to stay off once you increase your calories to maintain your weight loss. You will more than likely gain the weight back, and then some, so I would definitely recommend that you eat at least 1200 calories, maybe even 1300-1350. Also, you said you just got the app, so how long have you been eating differently (eating less)? And how accurately are you tracking your food? How long or how far do you jog? I'm 5'3" and my weight fluctuates between 103 and 106 on a weekly basis (from eating differently on some days or not drinking enough water) but I initially lost weight by jogging, as well.

I'll add you so we can message back and forth if you need help
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eat to your goal. Dropping below 1200 calories isn't doing you any favors.

Adjust your expectations. It looks like you just joined this month? Changes aren't going to happen in just two weeks. The last few pounds are going to come off slowly. Agonizingly slowly. Right now you want to focus on losing 1/2 pound a week and doing some strength training to help maintain your muscle mass.
  • shipa79
    Options
    Hiya but I want to get rid of the muscles on my arm, I do have muscles here but need to lose the bingo wings and the love handles!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    stop "dieting" and work on body composition...eat to maintenance and start picking up heavy things and putting them down. you aren't going to "tone" up eating at a large deficit with very little fat on your body...you're just going to destroy whatever lean mass you have...thus NOT giving you a very toned look.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hiya but I want to get rid of the muscles on my arm, I do have muscles here but need to lose the bingo wings and the love handles!

Do or don't want to get rid of muscles? If you want to look more "toned" you need to keep whatever muscle you currently have. As you are already not overweight, at such a low calorie diet your body is just going to eat your muscles and fat together for energy just to carry out normal daily functions.
  • shipa79
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yeah I just joined this few days ago but I've always watched how much I eat (used to keep a written diary). Then my daughter suggested looking at apps which was a great idea. Yeah I know I've been eating less than I'm told but isn't that good? That's what I always thought! I work in education so yeah alot of moving around up and down stairs countless times and barely get a rest, when teaching either on my knees or on foot , then there's carrying books. Come home then chores (single mum) constantly on the move. I eat small portions of food whenever I can and when i'm hungry. But I've always been the same weight for the past year untill I put on weight when I started fasting in july, so now back on eating less throughout the day.