Not enough protein... what do I do differently?

Options
I am having a hard time getting enough protein. I usually only make it to about 2/3 of the recommended, but sometimes only half. I am almost always close on everything else but I can't seem to get there on protein.
I know it's important to eat enough protein because it helps repair muscles and I can tell I'm not getting enough because my leg muscles are terribly sore for several days after I do lunges, squats, etc. - and not sore in the good "I had a great work out" way, but in the "I did too much and now I'm in pain" way, even though I only do a few sets of 10 reps each.
I am not a vegetarian but I am a picky eater and I eat chicken probably 4 days a week and beef twice. I have been trying to eat fish more often but I only like maybe two kinds (and I live in the desert, so the thought of how far the fish had to travel to get to me sort of grosses me out). I do eat nuts, but I have to watch how much because they are high in fat.
Any suggestions? It seems counterintuitive to increase the portion size of the meat but I don't know what else to do. Should I maybe consider a protein shake? I am allergic to milk products, but maybe there is a vegan mix out there that I can blend with almond milk or water that won't taste disgusting?

Replies

• skinnytayy
    Options
    Maybe you can try a soy protein shake. Btw, believe or not chocolate milk helps with soreness, just saying.
    Oh & google "garden of life raw beyond organic" ... Another MFP member uses it and I believe its a no-taste, organic powder you mix in with whatever :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I make protein shakes with soy milk and it's quite delicious. I throw some Designer Whey (chocolate or strawberry are good) in with a cup of soy milk, some fruit (with strawberry) or peanut butter (chocolate), and it's about 200-250 calories and 30g of protein. I really won't hit my protein numbers on a daily basis if I don't have that shake. I think Designer Whey is lactose or dairy free... but there are definitely dairy free protein powders on the market. I was gonna suggest greek yogurt, but that's definitely dairy.
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've started eating greek yogurt.
    I really like the Fage 2% greek yogurt (17g protien in breakfast alone!) and I add a splenda and kelogg's bran buds (13g fiber in 1/3rd cup). I stay fuller longer with the 2% compared to the non-fat and prefer the texture, but I recommend tasting a few brands.

Another thing I eat are egg whites. I buy a carton of just the all whites and cook them in the microwave for breakfast or scramble them up in a pan. Great source of quick protein.

There are luna protein bars that a lot of people rave about, but I'm not sure how much sugar etc they have and I would check the label if you're over on everything else.

Good luck!
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had the same dilemma and I chose to start protein shakes. They are really handy and an easy way to increase the protein intake in ur diet.. There is a huge range of protein shakes available in market and hundreds of flavours too... you can opt for the one u like :)

All the best with ur goals ! :flowerforyou:
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Try Trader Joes, Sprouts or Whole Foods. Talk to an employee about your situation and they should be able to help you supplement your protein with something that works for you. Good luck!

BTW . . . What about eggs? Or egg substitute (Like Egg Beaters?) Raw Almonds? Natural peanut butter?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I always seem to be looking for good protein sources too. I am trying to avoid the shakes and powders and such... because I am assuming that I should be able to get in good nutrition without doing that!

I don't love meat either, but try to get it in at least one meal a day. Increasing your meat portion is a good way to get in more protein, but it gets expensive and just not fun if you don't love meat! Eggs are a great source of protein, and the protein is all in the white. I usually do one egg and one or two egg whites with it to get more protein. Other decent sources are beans/lentils, milk and other dairy products, and peanut butter.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!! I was having the same prob, now Im over on protein lol.. 1 container is about 140 calories and 20 GRAMS OF PROTEIN and if you get the 0% plain, there is no fat.. its the perfect food.. but you prob need to add fruit to it, b/c plain is kinda dull... good with fruit though!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs fairly regularly - a couple of times a week.
    I eat nuts almost every day and almonds are my favorite.
    I can't do greek yogurt or any other milk products, even in trace amounts, regardless of whether they have lactose or not.

It sounds like I should do protein shakes, but is there a "homemade" kind I can do on my own? I prefer not to have to buy an expensive mix.

I prefer almond milk to soy milk, rice milk, or coconut milk because it is mild in flavor, has only 60 calories/serving, and has lots of antioxidants.

If I make a shake at home, what do I add?
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Another vote for protein shakes. Especially since MFP's recommendation on protein is actually kind of low. The goal is 1.5 times your body weight in protein (when weight is in Kilos and protein in grams ;D).

The only way for me to reach that is a protein shake. I use it as my after work out snack. I do half a cup low fat vanilla yogurt, one scoop protein powder (from GNC) it's chocolate this time but next time I'm going to try vanilla, A cup of fruit, half a cup of apple sauce (check them some are WAY high in calories you need a natural version) and a splash of water for consistency. It's about 220 calories and 25 grams of protein. You really have to watch the protein powders so you don't over do it on calories though too.
  • M1ssBehave
    M1ssBehave Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    you can buy frozen salmon steaks and thaw them just before you cook them. i don't like them plain so i bought a mediterian spice mix to sprinkle on them. i microwave eggs that keeps extra calories off them. turkey burgers can be good if you watch the fat, i also eat the 96% beef. i've only lost 5 lbs in the past 3 weeks, but i've moved from size 16 to 12 so i'm trading muscle for fat. hope this helps.
  • groovylaura
    Options
    Hi there! I have a protein shake most days, and they are very quick and easy. I have te EAS AdvantEDGE Chocolate Fudge Carb Control drinks. They are a soy protein drink. I'm lactose intolerant. They have 17 grams of protein, 110 calories, 4 carbs, and NO sugar. Amazing!!! They kind of taste like chocolate milk to me (maybe a bit watery, but good). They work for me, and I hope they work for you, too!!! :):drinker:
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I get roughly 60-75g of protein a day, if not more. I start my day with a protein bar and my favorite kind--Think Thin--happens to be on sale at amazon.com right now. They're roughly 230-240 calories, have 20g protein, 0g sugar, and lots of various nutrients. Here's the link to the deal for the protein bars:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2269869
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I make protein shakes with soy milk and it's quite delicious. I throw some Designer Whey (chocolate or strawberry are good) in with a cup of soy milk, some fruit (with strawberry) or peanut butter (chocolate), and it's about 200-250 calories and 30g of protein. I really won't hit my protein numbers on a daily basis if I don't have that shake. I think Designer Whey is lactose or dairy free... but there are definitely dairy free protein powders on the market. I was gonna suggest greek yogurt, but that's definitely dairy.

If the name is Designer Whey, it is only lactose free, not dairy free. :wink: Whey is a milk protein.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Protein Powder, it's the easiest way honestly. Mix it with water and you get no added calories of any sort.
  • missjeannemarie
    Options
    I would go to a health food store like Fruitful Yield or GNC - they have a good selection of protein shakes and it sounds like soy would be your best bet (not sure if they have almond, I know they have whey - which you can't have - and rice which may be an option for the powder). I love almond milk as well and for a shake I like banana/bluberry with some ice, almond milk and there you go - you can add some prottein powder - experiment. I too cannot have milk products, tend to go with rice or almond milk, but eat more fish than you do :) I agree though if I thought too hard about where/what I am eating I probably could be a vegetarian :0 I eat mainly chicken and salmon. Have you ever tried the gardenburgers? I sometimes bring a portabello garden burger with a salad to work for lunch, it is yummy - some of the meat alternative products are really good - Best of luck, we have similar challenges feel free to add me as a friend :)