I fell off the wagon

Options
Kaypix
Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I feel like I was left in the dust. This summer I started out so motivated to lose weight and stay positive, then my husband climbed a mountain and I haven' been back to the gym since. My weight crept up to an astonishing 201 pounds as of 2 weeks ago, size 16 jeans are starting to feel tight, and I'm falling into panic mode.

To compound this issue, my husband and I have started to put all extra money into paying off debt, so I started shopping cheap. My goal is to stop eating out and use THAT extra money to make healthy lunches.

I've gotten out of my pity party, played a soccer game last night, now all I NEED to do is stay on top of my diet. I CAN and will do this! My original goal was to get down to 150 pounds. I've deleted all my weigh ins from before and am starting smaller. My goal now, as horrific as it is to say, is to be down to 190 pounds. 11 pounds, that's it. 5% of my body weight. I need to focus on ME.

Time to start reading some success stories to get motivated!

Replies

• sjlocklear
    Options
    We all fall off the wagon, I actually fell off the wagon 8/31 my son was in a car accident and I was so stressed I couldnt eat and just the thought of food made me sick, I lost 5lbs, I was down to 177 but when they let him came home I was releived and I ate everything in site!!! I havent exercised and I was eating whatever I wanted, well I got on the scales this morning back at 181 :( but its all good, bc I have ate healthy today, walked a mile on lunch and I plan on walking out when I get home.. When we fall we just need to dust ourselves off and jump back up.. We can do this, Im in this boat with you if you ever need me Im here :)! Have a great day!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    The past is over...and your future is ahead, so concentrate on each new day and do the best you can. I think setting smaller goals helps so you don't feel so overwhelmed. Have a mini-reward for each 10 lbs? Add an extra mile or two of walking each week? Before you know it you'll be back on board again and headed where you want to be! Good luck to you.
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your support!

I know I CAN do this, one day at a time :)
  • stephiesmit
    Options
    It is really never an easy thing to lose weight and not regain it. It is still amazing to me how easy it comes on and how hard it is to get it off. I have had one of those bad weeks that have made me feel like I've fallen off the wagon too. The scale has went up 4 pounds. I am just not willing to add those pounds back onto my profile.

My most recent 20 pounds have come off with just diet so I am currently feeling very "skinny fat" (very light on the skinny). I could use a buddy to remind me that at this point I need to kick myself in the butt. I know that we can do this!!! No more self doubt or hating!!!

We can do this!!!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You have a great attitude and that is 75% of the battle! Making small goals is so much more manageable than looking at the larger picture. Sometimes coming here and writing it down gets you on track and keeps you there. You CAN and WILL do this! Best of luck!
  • heatherlas
    Options
    I set my goals at 10 lb increments. Once I hit 180 I changed it to 170. For me it is less overwhelming looking at 30+ lbs that I want to lose and just focus on the next few lbs. After 170 I'll probably change it to 5 lb goals. You can do it this time, we are here for you!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I agree with your plan: Set small achievable goals! We are all here for you!
  • cujoamoog
    cujoamoog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keep up the work.....stay with it!!!!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I have also fallen off the wagon. I weighed myself this weekend and I am back up to 203. It happens and I agree the best way to get going again is small steps. I have started logging my food again and walking/running after work. You can do this just take a deep breath and start again.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    To compound this issue, my husband and I have started to put all extra money into paying off debt, so I started shopping cheap. My goal is to stop eating out and use THAT extra money to make healthy lunches.

Been there before. And, it can be expensive to eat healthy and financial stress can make us want to eat more (been there). If you are sacrificing something like a gym membership or tools that help you, look at your household expenses. If you can cut back your cable package, for example, invest that savings into a gym membership and then motivate yourself to go to the gym when your favorite show is on and do cardio while watching your show on the machine. Good Luck!!
  • Sky757
    Sky757 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the wagon a lot! So much so that I decided to reinvent myself on MFP and start over again.
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ok, first, stop being so hard on yourself. Everyone falls off the wagon the difference is that you are going to get back on it. If you are truly going to change your lifestyle and keep the weight off, you will have moments or weeks like this. You know what works for you, you have done it before. It's great that you are setting small goals, they will make you feel great once you achieve them. You can do this..................you are stronger than you think. :) You have picked an excellent site for information and support!:wink:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I feel like I was left in the dust. This summer I started out so motivated to lose weight and stay positive, then my husband climbed a mountain and I haven' been back to the gym since. My weight crept up to an astonishing 201 pounds as of 2 weeks ago, size 16 jeans are starting to feel tight, and I'm falling into panic mode.

I've gotten out of my pity party, played a soccer game last night, now all I NEED to do is stay on top of my diet. I CAN and will do this! My original goal was to get down to 150 pounds. I've deleted all my weigh ins from before and am starting smaller. My goal now, as horrific as it is to say, is to be down to 190 pounds. 11 pounds, that's it. 5% of my body weight. I need to focus on ME.

Time to start reading some success stories to get motivated!

Here's some ideas for meals that are not expensive, but healthy: Potato and Chick Pea Curry served with vegetables and chicken or any burger. Black Lentils with Cheese served with vegetables and meatballs. I normally bake a batch of banana bread/muffins for breakfast and freeze the rest. Black beans is a savior. Cook with from scratch with onions, peppers and seasonings served with salsa and chicken etc.

When money is tight you are going to have to become very creative in the kitchen. I have become masterful at cooking and baking everything from scratch (using whole wheat flour, brown sugar and organic eggs). I figure I might as well have the best if I am going to do it myself.

Invest in either a slow cooker or pressure which will half your time in the kitchen. Good luck.
  • neil4ad
    neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To me it seems totally reasonable to set short term goals that build up to long term goals. You can do it!

Also, I've also had a little bit of a credit crunch (trying to pay down student loans and credit cards!) -- I've found that Indian food is a good way to eat healthily and not pay too much out of pocket. (Things like dal soups, eggplant stewed with tomatoes....instead of rice, I buy Quinoa in bulk and eat that too)
  • sheluvsmuddin
    Options
    I hate to say that I'm glad to hear it happens to everyone eventually... Helps ya feel "normal" and there is hope..... I've also fallen and am trying hard to start again. Fortunately I didn't gain much back but I can feel the difference. I think now that the weather is cooler it will be easier to get out and be active. For me it was always soooo hot I didn't want to go out and do too much like I did in the cooler months.

I'm glad your getting back on track. I found easing back into it was better for me. Sticking with the small goals is great...... and remember it didn't get there in a day, it's not coming off in a day....

HANG IN THERE! YOU'RE WORTH IT!

No more pity parties! No more excuses! Lets get healthy and feel great!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Add me!! You and I are weight loss twins, and honestly, we're in the same boat with eating cheap and trying to make this happen!!!

We got this!! :)
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Gaining back weight can be a big a motivation crusher, but everyone has slip ups once in a while. I lost 11lbs on MFP then stopped logging regularly and sort of slipped back into old habits- and gained 8 of them back! But, i dusted myself off and i'm down another 4. You CAN do this!!!!!!!!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I disagree and you have not fallen off the wagon since you are here now so just keep on the journey to reach your goals. The only failures are those who do not try.

Unlike you and others who have replied, short term goals simply do not work for me. If I set a goal (short term) to lose 25 lbs, once I reached that goal I would think I had met the goal and could then do something different when the truth is, I would not have reached that point doing anything else.
  • CarolineMason42
    Options
    Count me in with the falling off the wagon team.......went from 247 to 164 then back up to just over 201.....so here I am again getting back onto that weight loss horse and starting again - just the feeling of being back in control of the eating is a start for all of us......
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned from a long history of dieting is not to make too big of an issue of falling off the wagon. The more you berate yourself, the worse you'll feel and you'll need your self-confidence to get back on the wagon. Usually, a binge won't do as much damage as you fear it will. The trick is to catch it on time and then don't overcompensate. It's not realistic to vow to live on salad for a week because you ate a whole gallon of ice cream last night. Just be aware of when you start to go off balance and get back to your usual routine as soon as you can. Also, schedule yourself a few indulgences during the week so that you don't feel too boxed in and get tempted to become rebellious once in a while.
This discussion has been closed.